collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 747332 times)

Offline Billy Walker

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #930 on: March 16, 2020, 09:19:47 PM »
With a quarter of the season still to go, why the hell should anyone think they have a done deal. Leeds have imploded before, Liverpool have lost their last four games, albeit three in the cups.  Man Utd are in very good form and would moan unfairness that they would have caught not only Chelsea, but Leicester too.  Villa's game in hand is key too.  The season has to be finished.  Scrap next season if must, as that cannot be debated as no games have been played. 

The problem with attempting to finish the season is that the integrity of the present season has been compromised meaning the final ten games cannot be played within the same parameters as the first twenty-eight.  Empty stadia would mean home advantage is lost, for example.  Likewise, clusters of players and management could be unavailable/available from week to week due to illness/self-isolation, totally skewing results.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #931 on: March 16, 2020, 09:35:27 PM »
One possible solution is to stop the season as it stands, no more games, Liverpool crowned Champions, the remaining qualification places for next season's competitions is as stands, relegation and promotion places are solved by expanding each division for one season, so Leeds, West Brom are promoted, giving the Premiership 22 teams, so end of next season normality is recreated by more teams being relegated, so 3 come up and 5 go down, so on throughout the leagues.

That way the season is actually fulfilled, everybody knows where they stand and everybody knows what they have to do to survive or get promoted end of next season, the third place play-offs can't go ahead because it would involve to many extra games and to many teams completing this mini competition this season, so lets say, season ends right now Leeds and WBA have earned the right of automatic promotion because they hold the automatic promotion places, the rest is pure conjecture, so on and so forth throughout the rest of the leagues. 

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #932 on: March 16, 2020, 09:36:39 PM »
I'm sick of reading that 'we must finish the season'. Those people really need to have a reality check.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #933 on: March 16, 2020, 09:46:20 PM »
Agree. It’s utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #934 on: March 16, 2020, 09:52:20 PM »
Agree. It’s utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now, you can see the enormity of this is going to overtake everybody, its going to reshape everything we do and all our lives, nothing will be the same, the other thing to consider is the state of the world economy after 18 months of this, it will be on the floor, some of the planets biggest companies will fail in the coming months, banks will collapse this will make 2008 seem like a poor mans rehearsal for the real thing, the other thing that few people talk about but has been mentioned is the awful after effects this virus potentially leaves people with, breathing difficulties much earlier in life than would have been expected, all kinds of problems. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #935 on: March 16, 2020, 09:57:59 PM »
I think you need to slow down and unplug yourself from wildly speculating. You appear to be terrifying yourself and you may end up needlessly terrifying somebody else.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #936 on: March 16, 2020, 10:02:28 PM »
I think you need to slow down and unplug yourself from wildly speculating. You appear to be terrifying yourself and you may end up needlessly terrifying somebody else.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #937 on: March 16, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »
We might finish the season  in terms of playing the remaining games , will it be this year though ...not so sure.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #938 on: March 16, 2020, 10:46:13 PM »
This is good advice generally. With 24hr news and social media, it's easy for this stuff to become overwhelming. Overly worrying about it will do more harm than good.

Not to underplay the seriousness of the situation, of course. But stressing about it can eat you up for no real benefit. It's maybe better, and will put your mind at rest (and others) to offer to get shopping, prescriptions, etc to vulnerable people local to you. Even if they don't take you up on the offer, knowing there's someone there who cares can make all the difference
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:49:10 PM by algy »

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #939 on: March 16, 2020, 11:14:30 PM »
How much will coronavirus impact Aston Villa's season?

Over the last couple of days I've come to the conclusion - who gives a fuck.

100% agree .
If there is any way I can change the title I shall as not go cause any undue offense or insensitivity.
I personally find the situation unsettling and upsetting and I don't want to add to any one else concerning issue.
Best wishes.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #940 on: March 16, 2020, 11:16:10 PM »
Won't "overly worrying" do more good than harm... if it keeps people from making unnecessary journeys and contracting/spreading the virus?

Lots of people seem to think the media are making too much of a big deal out of this, but I feel like casualties would have been far greater if they were playing it down.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #941 on: March 17, 2020, 12:04:14 AM »

100% agree .
If there is any way I can change the title I shall as not go cause any undue offense or insensitivity.
I personally find the situation unsettling and upsetting and I don't want to add to any one else concerning issue.
Best wishes.

You haven’t done anything wrong. I find it amazing how quickly things have escalated.  You only have to retrace the comments on this thread to see this.

I posted on Thursday that I wasn’t going to go to the game.  At that time, I was in a minority.    How rapidly things progressed over the next 48 hours is testament to how quickly this has crept up on us.

I have been a little more conscious because my wife is vulnerable to the virus and it would probably kill her.  In hindsight, I shouldn’t have gone to Leicester and it was selfish of me to have done so.

However, I see no problem with discussing how it will affect our team.  It falls under the current affairs category and I personally enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts about the situation.  I am desperate for the season to be voided but I’m also aware that a lot of unhappiness is just around the corner.  The club will go on and I see no harm in discussing how the virus affects us. 

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #942 on: March 17, 2020, 12:24:47 AM »
There’s so many permutations and combinations to what may or may not happen. One being if the season is extended what happens to players who are out of contract? Are we going to be allowed to replace them with new signings in a new transfer window to help us in a relegation battle ? Apart from Liverpool being awarded the title just about every other position in the premier league is debatable. I Don’t think Fulham would agree to Albion or Leeds being promoted automatically from the Championship  either with just a six point gap and Fulham still scheduled to play them both once .

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #943 on: March 17, 2020, 01:20:54 AM »

100% agree .
Best wishes.

You haven’t done anything wrong. I find it amazing how quickly things have escalated.  You only have to retrace the comments on this thread to see this.

I posted on Thursday that I wasn’t going to go to the game.  At that time, I was in a minority.    How rapidly things progressed over the next 48 hours is testament to how quickly this has crept up on us.

I have been a little more conscious because my wife is vulnerable to the virus and it would probably kill her.  In hindsight, I shouldn’t have gone to Leicester and it was selfish of me to have done so.

However, I see no problem with discussing how it will affect our team.  It falls under the current affairs category and I personally enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts about the situation.  I am desperate for the season to be voided but I’m also aware that a lot of unhappiness is just around the corner.  The club will go on and I see no harm in discussing how the virus affects us.

Yes certainly the intentions for the title is for discussion and not meant to suggest that this is merely some inconvenience to villas season and forgetting the very real bigger picture of each of life.
Best wishes to you and yours and this situation . Appreciate the feedback. And also to things you shared - I like to be sending the most respect and wellness for you at the time ! Thank you

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #944 on: March 17, 2020, 03:24:59 AM »
Championship clubs are “invited” to join the PL. Finishing in any position in their league does not give them an automatic right. They can have as many meetings as they like. Also currently there is no group that can actually claim any rights because current top six may not be top six if the season was to be completed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal