collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 754579 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #900 on: March 16, 2020, 01:12:44 PM »
Here's Conn's view from the Grauniad this mornng.
It supports most of the last few posts above: Redscouse to win title; no relegations; Dirty Leeds and Bitters to gain promotion into an expanded league. Quite when they expect the new season would start is less clear.

One compromise might be to roll everybody's points over into a new season. Not as good as just declaring this season null and void but could be a solution too.

What about our game in hand?

Could play it in place of a pre-season friendly.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #901 on: March 16, 2020, 01:29:48 PM »
Dragging the season out into the summer - and I don't imagine this crisis will be anywhere near over by summertime -  after players' contracts may have expired, playing extra games next season, having 2 extra teams in the league and then relegating 5 teams next season, that all makes more sense than scrapping the leagues this season, drawing a line under everything and then starting afresh next season?  Just so that Liverpool can win a fockin' pot?

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #902 on: March 16, 2020, 01:43:01 PM »
Here's Conn's view from the Grauniad this mornng.
It supports most of the last few posts above: Redscouse to win title; no relegations; Dirty Leeds and Bitters to gain promotion into an expanded league. Quite when they expect the new season would start is less clear.

One compromise might be to roll everybody's points over into a new season. Not as good as just declaring this season null and void but could be a solution too.

Seems a reasonable balance with allowing West Brom & Leeds to come up. If they are worth their salt I’m sure they’ll soon catch up.

Offline Towser

• GM : 09.06.2024

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #904 on: March 16, 2020, 04:16:10 PM »
Boris Johnson to hold daily coronavirus press briefings and the one scheduled today is around 445pm. This will be on radio, online and TV news stations.
It was to be 3pm
I just thought update here.
Best wishes all.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #905 on: March 16, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »
My thoughts are (forgive me if already mentioned)

Freeze the season now where are. Start next season in exact same place and play a full season as well as games outstanding - these could be managed in by suspending league cup for one season.

Only players who fall out of contract at end of this season can be traded.

Seems fairest way but could men 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' wins next season with 180 points but if we are still relegated  after 1.4 of  season then we would deserve it as would anyone in the same position.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #906 on: March 16, 2020, 05:40:05 PM »
listening to the press conference this afternoon, football isn't going to resume any time soon. Void the season now.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #907 on: March 16, 2020, 05:48:33 PM »
It was interesting to hear the journos on a programme on SKY.

All convinced the season would have to be finished, and under no circumstances should be voided.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #908 on: March 16, 2020, 06:18:02 PM »
Everyone has an opinion and I imagine in an ideal world (non Villa in relegation place comment) the PL season would come to a natural conclusion. But this thing is escalating quickly and no sports governing body around the world let alone England will want to be the one to get going again and put lives at risk setting everything back months. So they will all default to taking their lead from WHO and health authorities and err very much on the side of caution throughout all of this. This will be tied to accurate test data on cases and how quickly people respect and respond to the situation.

There is no real evidence that here in Canada and much more so in the US that enough people truly give a shit to self quarantine or be open to mandatory measures. I imagine it's much the same back home. And if that remains the case then this thing will go on longer and longer.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #909 on: March 16, 2020, 06:59:11 PM »
How much will coronavirus impact Aston Villa's season?

Over the last couple of days I've come to the conclusion - who gives a fuck.

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #910 on: March 16, 2020, 07:03:26 PM »
How much will coronavirus impact Aston Villa's season?

Over the last couple of days I've come to the conclusion - who gives a fuck.

Yes, as much as football, and Villa, is a massive part of my life who cares now after todays statement. A lot of peoples lives will change forever now, whether it be health or financial. Imagine how many pubs will close for good now. Struggling at the best of times and now Boris has shithoused them by not enforcing closure so they can't claim any compensation. Disgusting.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #911 on: March 16, 2020, 07:07:50 PM »
Sorry for being thick but what is the compensation?

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #912 on: March 16, 2020, 07:13:12 PM »

If the government closes the business (pub) down they could likely apply for some compensation from them. As it stands they are not saying to close but have 'advised' people not to go to pubs so they'll be empty and many will go to the wall.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #913 on: March 16, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »
Surely if a Government advises people not to spend their money somewhere, and the venue loses money as a result, they would have grounds for compensation?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #914 on: March 16, 2020, 07:24:11 PM »

If the government closes the business (pub) down they could likely apply for some compensation from them. As it stands they are not saying to close but have 'advised' people not to go to pubs so they'll be empty and many will go to the wall.
Ok, so there is no compensation scheme yet. I can understand that if they start the demand for compensation which without doubt will come, then it’s going to get pretty difficult pretty quickly as everyone is going to look for a bail out.
At some point they are going to have to come up with schemes to deal with all types of businesses and also trying to work out how to finance this.
I do get why the Government is trying to buy time. I was pretty impressed with the Advisors at the Press conference today. Johnson did a good job of not committing to anything.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal