collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 747262 times)

Offline john2710

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #885 on: March 15, 2020, 10:53:45 PM »
I said to my son before Wembley it would be the last time we'd see them play live in a while. It seems a long time ago now. But I can't see there's any way we'll see football again before August.

There's going to be a lot of sadness over the next few months & we're all going to need the return of football to bring something resembling normality.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #886 on: March 15, 2020, 11:21:09 PM »
Recent reports suggest that if the Coronavirus precautions go through into May and June it will be “inevitable” that the current football season is cancelled.

This means as it currently stands that:
- Liverpool won’t win the league
- West Brom won’t get promoted
- Leeds won’t get promoted
- Villa won’t get relegated

Not to detract from the gravity of the current situation this seems to good to be true to me. I just have this feeling that the final outcome won't be the one we all want!

We never do things the easy way and something tells me that if we do stay up we will have to earn it by finishing the season.

Just can't see a logistical way to finish the season at this point.  Not saying it because of our predicament (well maybe I am!!), but the most logical action I can see at this point is to completely void the competitions that have not been completed (or even the ones that have) and start again next season.  There would be issues about European competition qualification I suppose, but could you just have the group stages from this season to avoid those early qualification games.  The amount of whinging from Liverpool and their mates in the media would be overwhelming, so I can see some sort of fudge that will allow them to be awarded the title. 

Move Euro 2021 to next year which should be OK given the World Cup is in December 2022 and start the qualifiers as planned from September.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #887 on: March 16, 2020, 02:21:59 AM »
Pepe Reina :
Speaking to Marca, the 37-year-old has slammed the English authorities for how they have handled the situation: "In England, they told us to be prudent and try to stay at home as much as possible, but we've just got the weekend off and have been called in to train on Monday.

"Only those clubs who had positive tests, like Chelsea or Arsenal, are in quarantine, but we are training as normal. It would be madness to continue playing, as we all have to take this situation seriously.

"The other countries have already made radical decisions and we have to do the same. England cannot just close their eyes and look the other way. Life and health are more important than football."

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #888 on: March 16, 2020, 06:12:35 AM »
Here in Oz this morning, the Premier of NSW mentioned at least 6 months before we may get back to normal.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #889 on: March 16, 2020, 06:48:51 AM »
Seeing headlines like “the season must be finished” on the Sunday Supplement shows the nativity/stupidity that’s still around. There’s no “must” about it, it’s so far down on the list of things to worry about it’s virtually meaningless. A good portion of the world is in the grips of a crisis, why is it so important if Liverpool win the fucking Premier League.
Aha the British spirit to finish what’s been started. Absolutely stupid. It’s only a game of football that a few people turn up to watch FFS.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:51:47 AM by olaftab »

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #890 on: March 16, 2020, 06:56:57 AM »
Ditto horse racing.  I would like to be a fly on the wall if anybody in the Cabinet dares to suggest that the Grand National does not go ahead.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #891 on: March 16, 2020, 08:10:06 AM »
Here's Conn's view from the Grauniad this mornng.
It supports most of the last few posts above: Redscouse to win title; no relegations; Dirty Leeds and Bitters to gain promotion into an expanded league. Quite when they expect the new season would start is less clear.

Online KRS

« Reply #892 on: March 16, 2020, 10:42:17 AM »
Both Stephen Warnock and Peter Ridsdale on SSN insistent that the leagues MUST be finished regardless of the date football can start again. I disagree.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #893 on: March 16, 2020, 10:44:14 AM »
Here in Oz this morning, the Premier of NSW mentioned at least 6 months before we may get back to normal.

Hey hope everything is alright over there for you.
So I heard the Australian soccer will continue

"Football Federation Australia (FFA) today confirmed that the remainder of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 regular season, and the Westfield W-League 2020 Grand Final scheduled for this weekend will go ahead, but with all matches to be played behind closed doors and with no fans permitted to attend. This policy will apply for the remaining six rounds of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 regular season and will be reviewed for the Hyundai A-League 2020 Finals Series."

Is that still the case ?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #894 on: March 16, 2020, 11:10:49 AM »
Both Stephen Warnock and Peter Ridsdale on SSN insistent that the leagues MUST be finished regardless of the date football can start again. I disagree.

Well that’s ridiculous isn’t it. Anything that crosses into July means it has to be voided.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #895 on: March 16, 2020, 11:19:21 AM »
Pepe Reina :
Speaking to Marca, the 37-year-old has slammed the English authorities for how they have handled the situation: "In England, they told us to be prudent and try to stay at home as much as possible, but we've just got the weekend off and have been called in to train on Monday.

"Only those clubs who had positive tests, like Chelsea or Arsenal, are in quarantine, but we are training as normal. It would be madness to continue playing, as we all have to take this situation seriously.

"The other countries have already made radical decisions and we have to do the same. England cannot just close their eyes and look the other way. Life and health are more important than football."
The amount of people who don't undertsand the UK strategy is ridiculous.  Whether the strategy is right or wrong is a moot point which won't be certain of until we look back on it next year.  But what is very clear is that the communication of the strategy has been terrible.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #896 on: March 16, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »
Recent reports suggest that if the Coronavirus precautions go through into May and June it will be “inevitable” that the current football season is cancelled.

This means as it currently stands that:
- Liverpool won’t win the league
- West Brom won’t get promoted
- Leeds won’t get promoted
- Villa won’t get relegated
Scousers, noses and boggies in complete and irretrievable meltdown.  I would laugh so much my bollocks would fall off - presuming Corona virus had not made 'em fall off beforehand!

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #897 on: March 16, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »
It supports most of the last few posts above: Redscouse to win title; no relegations; Dirty Leeds and Bitters to gain promotion into an expanded league. Quite when they expect the new season would start is less clear.

One compromise might be to roll everybody's points over into a new season. Not as good as just declaring this season null and void but could be a solution too.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #898 on: March 16, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »

One compromise might be to roll everybody's points over into a new season. Not as good as just declaring this season null and void but could be a solution too.

What about our game in hand?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #899 on: March 16, 2020, 12:24:34 PM »
It would seem to me strategically our best approach would be for all the players to get infected asap so they can get it over and done with and be as fit as possible if the season is restarted.  They players of course may see things a bit differently!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal