collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746977 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #855 on: March 15, 2020, 11:48:49 AM »
Isn’t there a chance that the clubs who aren’t in relegation spots, vote to relegate the current bottom three? Particularly the likes of West Ham ( despite what Karen Brady has said), Bournemouth, Brighton etc ?

There is a chance but why would they do that?  They probably have a better relationship with the bottom 3 than they do with the EFL clubs.

Hopefully, the only vote will be whether 2 teams come up, making it a 22 team league.

Offline charlatan

« Reply #856 on: March 15, 2020, 12:18:20 PM »
If you think the EFL clubs have it bad, watch some of the airlines start dropping like flies over the coming months.  Same with pubs and restaurants.

Of course, but was specifically discussing the impact on football.

The impact is the same everywhere.  There is nothing anyone can do.

Neither of the leagues (PL/EFL) can make a decision until all members have had 21 days notice (of a general meeting) - That is why there has been a 3 week suspension.

In 3 weeks time, we're going to be in a lot worse position than we are today.  The season will be officially cancelled at the general meeting of 3 April.

Agree with all of that, but not sure if season will be cancelled on April 3rd or postponed another month and a decision made then.

Surely any decision should not be made until it is clear when football can resume? If resuming in say September, voiding this season makes sense. OTOH if not resuming until next spring it would make more sense to complete the current season.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #857 on: March 15, 2020, 12:28:11 PM »
If you think the EFL clubs have it bad, watch some of the airlines start dropping like flies over the coming months.  Same with pubs and restaurants.

Of course, but was specifically discussing the impact on football.

The impact is the same everywhere.  There is nothing anyone can do.

Neither of the leagues (PL/EFL) can make a decision until all members have had 21 days notice (of a general meeting) - That is why there has been a 3 week suspension.

In 3 weeks time, we're going to be in a lot worse position than we are today.  The season will be officially cancelled at the general meeting of 3 April.

Agree with all of that, but not sure if season will be cancelled on April 3rd or postponed another month and a decision made then.

Surely any decision should not be made until it is clear when football can resume? If resuming in say September, voiding this season makes sense. OTOH if not resuming until next spring it would make more sense to complete the current season.

I think it very likely that next season will be impacted but there are further cans of worms by suspending it further than May - Contracts will expire and loan deals also.

It would also be impossible to predict the situation in 12 months time.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #858 on: March 15, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
Isn’t there a chance that the clubs who aren’t in relegation spots, vote to relegate the current bottom three? Particularly the likes of West Ham ( despite what Karen Brady has said), Bournemouth, Brighton etc ?
And those votes would obviously be wiped out by us, Norwich & Watford. It would be massively unfair on us especially due to our game in hand. The top 11 would have no vested interest in creating such legal minefield for everyone involved. We could just as easily argue the validity of the clubs who gain the top 6 places. I'm pretty sure if it came to a vote they would agree to keep the current status quo. It's almost as probable that they would vote against promoting teams from the championship. There will be winners and losers but ultimately the power lies with the PL clubs.
Was just thinking, what interest would Man Utd, Wolves or Sheffield United in keeping the table as it is? They've all reasonably good chances of getting in to the Fairs Cup/Champions Cup, but won't as things stand. The 3 clubs in relegation positions won't vote for it, and neither would Watford since we've got a game in hand over them and, depending on how it was dealt with, that could see then relegated.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #859 on: March 15, 2020, 01:09:26 PM »
In the final analysis the clubs will do what they always do: vote in their own individual vested interest.  The only collectivism may come when considering what to do with promotion. Leeds and - to an extent - Albion would bring something to the Premier League party. If the top two in the Championship were currently, say, Brentford and Millwall, I doubt they'd be much talk of a 22 club top division. 

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #860 on: March 15, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
Fairs Cup!. Blast from the past there, algy

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #861 on: March 15, 2020, 01:20:33 PM »
And those votes would obviously be wiped out by us, Norwich & Watford. It would be massively unfair on us especially due to our game in hand. The top 11 would have no vested interest in creating such legal minefield for everyone involved. We could just as easily argue the validity of the clubs who gain the top 6 places. I'm pretty sure if it came to a vote they would agree to keep the current status quo. It's almost as probable that they would vote against promoting teams from the championship. There will be winners and losers but ultimately the power lies with the PL clubs.
Was just thinking, what interest would Man Utd, Wolves or Sheffield United in keeping the table as it is? They've all reasonably good chances of getting in to the Fairs Cup/Champions Cup, but won't as things stand. The 3 clubs in relegation positions won't vote for it, and neither would Watford since we've got a game in hand over them and, depending on how it was dealt with, that could see then relegated.

But European qualification is not the decision of the Premier League. Certainly not this week. Like I said earlier, I think the voting amongst the 20 premier clubs will be

1. Do we void the season?
2. Do we award the title to Liverpool?
3. Do we relegate teams and allow other teams in?

I think the only outcome to avoid expensive legal action whilst keeping integrity is yes, yes and no. You could argue Liverpool could be caught but when the only team that could do it have effectively been charged with cheating this season, then I don’t think they’ll be much opposition.

any parachute payments can be given to the EFL for redistribution.

There is going to be collateral damage to this and many clubs left unhappy but to relegate / promote clubs based on guesswork is completely wrong.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 01:24:50 PM by Dave P »

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #862 on: March 15, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #863 on: March 15, 2020, 02:14:54 PM »
Of the virus If the talk is another 12-14 weeks that's June ish time when thing peak !! but no one knows

But if it's 3% of 40 million that's around 1.2 milion deaths . That would be scandalous, sickening and so sad.
 I wouldn't care about football one bit if this is what's going to happen and I think football itself will have a long break maybe for at least a  year if not longer because of the lost lives.

Please I hope vaccine can be found
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 02:30:16 PM by Vill I An »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #864 on: March 15, 2020, 02:20:44 PM »
We're totally, completely fucked.
https://twitter.com/Dr_TonyXia/status/1239170274123116544
Not what other news outlets are saying.
And, how long before the vaccine is commercially viable?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #865 on: March 15, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »
Not sure what you mean by commercially viable, if it’s about profit I don’t think that will come into it,if it is about production costs in scale that is economic viability.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #866 on: March 15, 2020, 04:01:09 PM »
Of the virus If the talk is another 12-14 weeks that's June ish time when thing peak !! but no one knows

But if it's 3% of 40 million that's around 1.2 milion deaths . That would be scandalous, sickening and so sad.
 I wouldn't care about football one bit if this is what's going to happen and I think football itself will have a long break maybe for at least a  year if not longer because of the lost lives.

Please I hope vaccine can be found
FFS.
Get a grip.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #867 on: March 15, 2020, 04:39:17 PM »
Not sure what you mean by commercially viable, if it’s about profit I don’t think that will come into it,if it is about production costs in scale that is economic viability.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant: how long before producers are able to produce the vaccine in the apporpriate quantities to make a real difference.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #868 on: March 15, 2020, 04:50:46 PM »

I’m unable to form a view on the veracity of this claim until I’ve seen the scientists shoes.

Offline frank black

« Reply #869 on: March 15, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant: how long before producers are able to produce the vaccine in the apporpriate quantities to make a real difference.

Plus how long to go through trials with animals and humans...end of this year perhaps

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal