collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746658 times)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #840 on: March 15, 2020, 06:47:36 AM »
The first thing the clubs will want to do is inject some certainty meaning they’ll set a date by which the season must be fully completed, probable deadline being 30 June 2020 as that’s when contracts expire and the traditional change over of one season to another occurs. Vote 1.

The one thing I'd say there is potentially, when it gets closer to 30th June, they might choose to extend it to 31st December if the UEFA announcement in the Euros is correct (post a few pages back).

I suspect the season won't be complete on 30th June myself. But if they play fixtures behind closed doors, as and when it's possible *maybe* they'll finish it soon enough that next season can go ahead almost as normal, maybe just with the odd alteration (more midweek rounds, fewer international friendlies/nations league games .. that sort of thing)

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #841 on: March 15, 2020, 07:24:40 AM »
This may have been covered already. Karen Brady thinks that the season should be declared “null and void”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/14/west-ham-karren-brady-calls-for-premier-league-cancellation-coronavirus?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #842 on: March 15, 2020, 07:35:23 AM »
Oliver Holt of the Daily Heil opines thusly:
Oliver Holt@OllieHolt22
If resumption is not possible, freeze the league tables as they are now, give Liverpool the title, send Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth down and promote Leeds as champions. MoS column later.
What a demented cuntflugle.

He forgets that we have that game in hand on the others. A massive Trump card in our favour.
We have a game in hand and anything is possible. The best result this season could be Watford 3 Liverpool 0.

Excellent point. And FWIW, despite my extremely low expectations for the rest of the season, I'd have bet the bank we'd win at home to Sheff Utd. Something about red & white stripes at Villa Park. We hate them. Ask Sunderland.

Pray then it’s not like Stoke. That moment in time where everything started to fall apart.

They were in their yellow away kit.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #843 on: March 15, 2020, 07:57:02 AM »
Thing is, all these supporters with vested interests (mainly Leeds and Liverpool fans ) are all pushing their preferred versions. As I understand it, this will be a simple vote taken solely by the PL clubs, that’s where the power resides in this process. Not sure anyone else gets much say.
It takes 14 votes to carry a motion and no way will the clubs vote to relegate anybody based on the current standings, none whatsoever. The PL clubs have a track record if being conservative in their voting patterns and I can’t see this changing now over this.
The first thing the clubs will want to do is inject some certainty meaning they’ll set a date by which the season must be fully completed, probable deadline being 30 June 2020 as that’s when contracts expire and the traditional change over of one season to another occurs. Vote 1.
If this deadline is missed they’ll null/void the league (but may still hand Liverpool the title as their lead is just so large.) Vote 2.
Finally they’ll need to decide whether they’ll be prepared to expand the league and promote teams from the EFL based on current standings. Vote 3.
Whether we agree or not this is how I think it will end up working out.
Leeds, Albion and Uncle Tom Cobley can scream shout and threaten to sue all they like, the PL clubs are the only decision makers here as each equally having shares in the league only transferable on relegation. Whichever way the vote goes that’s basically the end of it.
Yes, this is how I see it.
Taking the season beyond June 30th is fraught with the sort of complexity that the Premier League would want avoid - contracts expiring, trasnfer window, etc.
They're a simple bunch and would want a simple solution, and one that disadvantages the least number of people in the club.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #844 on: March 15, 2020, 08:00:59 AM »
I don't see a way out of this which doesn't lead to the courts.

Which keeps pointing to Null and Void or complete the season.
If the latter is deemed unworkable then the Null and void option provides the least actionable option.
The Rules state how relegation Europe promotion is decided, if clubs can’t comply  then there is not much the clubs can do about it.
There will have to be a settlement of the Broadcasting contracts which will not be simple.
Oliver Holt is a twat.

What the premier league do is down to the decision of the premier league and nobody else. I imagine the agenda points on Thursday will include a) do we cancel the season (14/20 votes needed) b) do we crown Liverpool as champions (14/20) and c) do we relegate 3 clubs (14/20). Bitters and Leeds have zero say. European qualification will be a decision by UEFA based on coefficients if their competition goes ahead.

A similar meeting at the EFL will decide what they do but they don’t have the power to send teams up to the Premier League.  A similar meeting at the FA will decide the fate of the FA Cup etc etc

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #845 on: March 15, 2020, 08:45:00 AM »
Isn’t there a chance that the clubs who aren’t in relegation spots, vote to relegate the current bottom three? Particularly the likes of West Ham ( despite what Karen Brady has said), Bournemouth, Brighton etc ?

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #846 on: March 15, 2020, 08:52:29 AM »
Isn’t there a chance that the clubs who aren’t in relegation spots, vote to relegate the current bottom three? Particularly the likes of West Ham ( despite what Karen Brady has said), Bournemouth, Brighton etc ?

I guess one of the issues with pure self interest is the potential for lawsuits from the 3 in the bottom spots as they stand.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #847 on: March 15, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
On a slightly different note, with Matt Hancock saying self isolation for over 70's coming in within weeks what do Crystal Palace do without a manager?

Online The Edge

« Reply #848 on: March 15, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »
And those votes would obviously be wiped out by us, Norwich & Watford. It would be massively unfair on us especially due to our game in hand. The top 11 would have no vested interest in creating such legal minefield for everyone involved. We could just as easily argue the validity of the clubs who gain the top 6 places. I'm pretty sure if it came to a vote they would agree to keep the current status quo. It's almost as probable that they would vote against promoting teams from the championship. There will be winners and losers but ultimately the power lies with the PL clubs. 

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #849 on: March 15, 2020, 09:05:01 AM »
The league just bought themselves breathing space with the April 4 announcement, it gives them a few weeks to determine what action to take because no way is this Pandemic going to be over in a few weeks or even months, in that time a lot of clubs will be struggling to stay solvent. The worse thing the league could do is to let the uncertainty drag on, that will only lead to more difficulty.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #850 on: March 15, 2020, 09:09:18 AM »
The league just bought themselves breathing space with the April 4 announcement, it gives them a few weeks to determine what action to take because no way is this Pandemic going to be over in a few weeks or even months, in that time a lot of clubs will be struggling to stay solvent. The worse thing the league could do is to let the uncertainty drag on, that will only lead to more difficulty.

Exactly. It’s in their best interests to make a quick, strong decision and look to compensate clubs in this situation.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #851 on: March 15, 2020, 09:15:56 AM »
A pure cynical viewpoint here, buts what are the chances of a senior Villa, West Ham, Brighton, Bournemouth, Norwich or Watford official or a player saying they are ‘self isolating as a precautionary measure’ closer to the April 4th resumption to force a further delay?

Offline Towser

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #852 on: March 15, 2020, 09:16:39 AM »
Just been on the ticket website and they have our next match as against Chelsea on 1st June 2020, although underneath it states T.B.C

Online frank black

« Reply #853 on: March 15, 2020, 09:56:12 AM »
A pure cynical viewpoint here, buts what are the chances of a senior Villa, West Ham, Brighton, Bournemouth, Norwich or Watford official or a player saying they are ‘self isolating as a precautionary measure’ closer to the April 4th resumption to force a further delay?

I think it’s highly unlikely that there won’t be plenty of footballers and managers in isolation at this point anyway

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #854 on: March 15, 2020, 11:40:38 AM »

No - They have to give 21 days notice that an extraordinary general meeting is going to take place.  However, they will all be talking as we speak regarding possibilities/options

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal