collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 747377 times)

Online john2710

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #810 on: March 14, 2020, 09:20:38 PM »
There's no way they can assume the promotion / relegation can be settled based on the situation with 9-10 games left. You've got more chance of drawing lots.

The question is not if the season can be restarted in April / May, it's whether next season can start in August & whether there's a risk of a second wave. If they think next season can start / finish OK, the only logical solution is to declare this season void & everything is reset.

UEFA will decide. The PL will have to fall in line with the rest of Europe.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #811 on: March 14, 2020, 09:24:16 PM »
I reckon they will propose to finish the leagues in the summer.

Offline charlatan

« Reply #812 on: March 14, 2020, 09:28:32 PM »
The Noses were cleared.

Cheers. Missed that.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #813 on: March 14, 2020, 09:35:24 PM »
Regardless of how long it takes or would take to complete the domestic fixtures of the 2019/2020  season that is what should happen, and that needs to take priority over all other football.  And then it's taken from there.  The Euros should go, and if needs be the champions league and europa league too.  The 2022 world cup in Kuwait is bollocks anyway, from the sporting perspective.  It wouldn't be missed, and not having it would provide a bit of space that will be much needed for any catch-up.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #814 on: March 14, 2020, 09:39:28 PM »
The key feature of any solution, regardless of time scale, is that in order for it to be fair it has to guarantee that Aston Villa stay up.

Offline WassallVillain

« Reply #815 on: March 14, 2020, 09:56:20 PM »
The key feature of any solution, regardless of time scale, is that in order for it to be fair it has to guarantee that Aston Villa stay up.
Richard Masters was heard to say

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #816 on: March 14, 2020, 10:00:03 PM »
I’m now seriously thinking this is possible. I’m going to be so pissed off when it doesn’t happen

Offline frank black

« Reply #817 on: March 14, 2020, 10:07:41 PM »
I reckon they will propose to finish the leagues in the summer.

2021?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #818 on: March 14, 2020, 10:24:14 PM »
Oliver Holt of the Daily Heil opines thusly:
Oliver Holt@OllieHolt22
If resumption is not possible, freeze the league tables as they are now, give Liverpool the title, send Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth down and promote Leeds as champions. MoS column later.
What a demented cuntflugle.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #819 on: March 14, 2020, 10:30:16 PM »
I don't see a way out of this which doesn't lead to the courts.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #820 on: March 14, 2020, 10:40:39 PM »
So many more lives are going to be lost by the time April comes along and I think a whole lock down of non essential places get locked down and that many clubs and players won't be in the right frame of minds to start playing football matches for a long while.
Fans too will realize that as health and families matter first .
Decisions to make null and void will have to be put in place in my view because for the benefit of health and fairness the circumstances mean the football season can't finish and that means nothing can be resolved.
Those that 'miss out' or don't get the outcome they want ie Titles or promotions is really negligible when dealing with something way bigger than football.
The real concern is the health of people and footballers and their families are people first and foremost .
The closure of the non essential places and shut downs is coming so how is football going to be the only thing that will be re opening while the rest of us stay at home .
Can't see anything other than a closure of the season.
Stay safe everyone

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #821 on: March 14, 2020, 10:50:50 PM »
Regardless of how long it takes or would take to complete the domestic fixtures of the 2019/2020  season that is what should happen, and that needs to take priority over all other football.  And then it's taken from there.  The Euros should go, and if needs be the champions league and europa league too.  The 2022 world cup in Kuwait is bollocks anyway, from the sporting perspective.  It wouldn't be missed, and not having it would provide a bit of space that will be much needed for any catch-up.
As much as i hate the fact that the World Cup will be held in Kuwait 2022 they have spent billions on stadium and infrastructure. They would bankrupt FIFA with lawsuits if it were cancelled. Perhaps Blatter and his cronies could be forced to pay back some of the back handers they (ahem allegedly) took. That would be soooo sweet.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #822 on: March 14, 2020, 10:53:58 PM »
The way the whole spread of this is looking it’s not going to be linear, so the idea that by early May or whenever it’s looking done and dusted and we can all start getting back to normal, is probably unrealistic.

With this in mind and Just in terms of football, I think we’ll end up hearing more than one announcement, a bit like a couple of days ago everything was going ahead this weekend, until Arteta gets diagnosed and then it’s all off. So I think they’ll continue to make positive noises and maybe even in a couple of weeks an announcement that the season will continue from early April onwards. But as that approaches and different players/coaches/staff of other clubs get diagnosed, the whole thing will come to a halt again, until eventually they realise they have to call the season off.

The completely sensible thing would be then to call the season null and void, and to start again in August when hopefully the dust has settled a bit, the only stumbling block to this is liverpool who are so far ahead, the premier league will have all sorts of headaches not giving them the league title, and I’m saying this as someone who really really dislikes Liverpool FC. If all the clubs can come to a grudging agreement that they get premier league title but everything else across the 4 divisions is status quo, that’s what I think will happen.

We are all in complete Unknown’s here, but death tolls rising, planes turning round mid journey and countries closing their borders, the idea of this football season every being completed is ludicrous.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #823 on: March 14, 2020, 11:25:36 PM »
R&B, if you missed it, there was a bit of a confab earlier around p52 of this thread, and we've found a mechanism to help many of us deal with the emotional fallout of 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' being 'awarded' the title.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #824 on: March 14, 2020, 11:44:20 PM »
Oliver Holt of the Daily Heil opines thusly:
Oliver Holt@OllieHolt22
If resumption is not possible, freeze the league tables as they are now, give Liverpool the title, send Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth down and promote Leeds as champions. MoS column later.
What a demented cuntflugle.

He forgets that we have that game in hand on the others. A massive Trump card in our favour.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal