collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 747384 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #345 on: March 12, 2020, 11:59:43 PM »
Us having a strong defence is a bloody first.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #346 on: March 13, 2020, 12:00:08 AM »
Just have a bigger league next year. No teams were relegated in 1891 but two teams were still added to the league.

And who do you promote, and on what basis? And why would you promote them but not relegate teams using the same basis used to promote teams?

Because relegated teams will sue you. Promoted teams are unlikely to sue you so they can go back in the Championship again. Also, Villa Ladies deserve promotion.

There are a few precedents of countries expanding leagues for a season or two in exceptional circumstances.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #347 on: March 13, 2020, 12:01:36 AM »
Just have a bigger league next year. No teams were relegated in 1891 but two teams were still added to the league.

And who do you promote, and on what basis? And why would you promote them but not relegate teams using the same basis used to promote teams?

Because relegated teams will sue you. Promoted teams are unlikely to sue you so they can go back in the Championship again. Also, Villa Ladies deserve promotion.

And the teams that aren't promoted and are in or around the playoffs are just going to accept it?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #348 on: March 13, 2020, 12:04:56 AM »
Henry Winter@henrywinter

Brighton v Arsenal inevitably postponed following the Arteta development. Premier League now has to suspend league and EFL follow suit. If Euro 2020 postponed to 2021, to be discussed by Uefa on Tuesday, frees space to complete leagues and European club season (if safe).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #349 on: March 13, 2020, 12:05:01 AM »
I don't think you can sue to be included in something you weren't already part of. We would be getting kicked out of a league which we had earned our place in. That's a big difference.

Tbh, I don't see the virus going anywhere soon and I think the best thing, from a sporting perspective, would be to cancel everything until next March then just pick up where we left off. From a financial perspective, though, that would de disastrous for countless clubs. Still, Shankly jokes aside, people's health is far more important than football.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #350 on: March 13, 2020, 12:09:14 AM »

There are a few precedents of countries expanding leagues for a season or two in exceptional circumstances.

I'm old enough to remember the league going from 22 to 20 clubs in 1995!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #351 on: March 13, 2020, 12:10:58 AM »

I'm old enough to remember the league going from 22 to 20 clubs in 1995!

Only four years after it going from 20 to 22!

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2020, 12:12:47 AM »
Of course they can, it's exactly the same thing you'd be saying we should sue about if we were relegated. And even if they didn't, which they would, we promote 3 teams and don't relegate. We now have a top flight of 23 teams and a second tier with 21 clubs. Now what?
And if we promote from the second division then third division clubs will be wanting to know why they aren't promoted, and so on all the way down the entire footballing pyramid. If we promote from every division then every division will have weird numbers of teams.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #353 on: March 13, 2020, 12:15:05 AM »
Of course they can, it's exactly the same thing you'd be saying we should sue about if we were relegated. And even if they didn't, which they would, we promote 3 teams and don't relegate. We now have a top flight of 23 teams and a second tier with 21 clubs. Now what?
And if we promote from the second division then third division clubs will be wanting to know why they aren't promoted, and so on all the way down the entire footballing pyramid. If we promote from every division then every division will have weird numbers of teams.

Every league will have weird numbers of teams for one season, then you arrange next year's promotion and relegation in such a way that it goes back to normal. So, in a 23 team league, the bottom six would be relegated, for instance.

I'd have a 26 team league by preference, though. If we had to do it that way. Let all the top six up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #354 on: March 13, 2020, 12:15:42 AM »
So next season 6 teams get relegated from the top flight?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #355 on: March 13, 2020, 12:18:34 AM »
Or 9 if you're going for 6 teams promoted and none relegated, and no team that's outside the playoffs by a few points is going to kick up any kind of stink?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #356 on: March 13, 2020, 12:19:48 AM »
They can complain but they won't win. You can't sue someone for being kicked out of something you weren't a member of in the first place.

What is your alternative, btw?

Offline Villa75

« Reply #357 on: March 13, 2020, 12:22:56 AM »
I'm going Saturday.

I probably mingle/interact with more people in the pubs/shops, over a couple of hours, than I do attending a game.

No one seems to be suggesting people stop going to pubs/clubs, shops, restaurants, etc. Until they do, I'll be attending every match I can.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #358 on: March 13, 2020, 12:24:14 AM »
Belgium and Italy have closed pubs and restaurants and shops are open reduced hours for food and emergency supplies only, I believe. More than one article has suggested that football matches would not be televised in pubs so as to discourage people from going there en masse if games were held behind closed doors.

I have moved on from thinking that behind closed doors is any kind of solution, though. Still too much of a risk.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:26:04 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #359 on: March 13, 2020, 12:25:26 AM »
They can complain but they won't win. You can't sue someone for being kicked out of something you weren't a member of in the first place.

What is your alternative, btw?

You still haven't said how the league goes back to normal after 1 season, how do you go from 23 or 26 back to 20 in one go? And so on down an entire footballing pyramid.

If this happened at the same time last season we'd still be a second division club as we were 8th after 37 games. There will be so many clubs kicking up a stink, and rightly so. You'd be complaining like fuck if we were stiffed last season, as would all of us.

And i've already said

The more I think of the more it seems impossible to come up with a solution that isn't stiffing some clubs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal