collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746746 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #330 on: March 12, 2020, 11:25:41 PM »
I think it would be negligent to continue sporting events right now. And gross negligence to allow them to continue with spectators.

Can absolutely see games being played behind closed doors for the rest of the season.  Surely can be handled within clubs, with players being regularly monitored by club doctors etc. 

PL clubs get enough money they could cope with that financially, especially if they gave leeway with FFP because of the drop in revenue. But how far down the pyrmid do you go, the further down you go the more the clubs rely on match day money.

The more I think of the more it seems impossible to come up with a solution that isn't stiffing some clubs.

Online Dominic22

« Reply #331 on: March 12, 2020, 11:28:00 PM »
just logistically it makes the football season difficult to finish. Now the players at Arsenal are in at least 7 days of Isolation so no training etc. If we believe Boris and his band of merry men then there is upto an 80% national infection rate at a peak of 14 weeks away how does that work once we start to miss games.

The Virus is not constant so different people and different clubs will be ill at different times and at different rates so even when the squad is clear they need to train to get match fit then find a team to play that is not in isolation or squad members at risk etc.... All things being equal there is the Euro's in June and the regular season was not meant to finish until May

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2020, 11:28:20 PM »
How do Arsenal play behind closed doors when the entire squad is in quarantine?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2020, 11:29:54 PM »
Extending the season into June/July, delaying next season, scrapping the League Cup and making Euro 2020 become Euro 2021.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2020, 11:30:40 PM »
Arsenal v Brighton off. The rest will now follow for sure.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #335 on: March 12, 2020, 11:31:34 PM »
The Government policy is based around delaying the major impact of the disease until the summer. Things aren't going to be better by June. I'd be surprised if it is even business as usual by August. Euros will definitely be postponed. No idea what will happen with the club competitions.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #336 on: March 12, 2020, 11:36:19 PM »
Arsenal statement

Our London Colney training centre has been closed after head coach Mikel Arteta received a positive COVID-19 result this evening.

Arsenal personnel who had recent close contact with Mikel will now self-isolate in line with Government health guidelines. We expect this to be a significant number of people from Colney, including the full first-team squad and coaching staff, as well as a smaller number of people from our Hale End Academy which we have also temporarily closed as a precaution.

We expect those who did not have close contact with Mikel to return to work in the coming days. In the meantime our Colney and Hale End training centres will undergo a deep clean and our other club sites are operating as normal.

Managing director Vinai Venkatesham said: “The health of our people and the wider public is our priority and that is where our focus is. Our thoughts are with Mikel who is disappointed but in good spirits. We are in active dialogue with all the relevant people to manage this situation appropriately, and we look forward to getting back to training and playing as soon as medical advice allows.”

Head of football Raul Sanllehi added: “Mikel and the full first-team squad, players and staff, will be fully supported, and we look forward to getting back to training and playing as soon as medical advice allows. Obviously Mikel’s full recovery is the priority now for us all.”

We will work with Public Health England on the next steps in regard to our facilities and staff, and with the Premier League, Football Association and relevant clubs around our forthcoming matches in the Premier League and Emirates FA Cup. 

It is clear we will not be able to play some fixtures on their currently scheduled dates. We will update supporters who have tickets for forthcoming games with more information as soon as possible.

We are now working to trace any other people who have had recent close contact with Mikel.  We will let them know what has happened and they should follow the NHS guidance which is likely to recommend self-isolation.

Mikel said: “This is really disappointing but I took the test after feeling poorly. I will be at work as soon as I’m allowed.”

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #337 on: March 12, 2020, 11:41:47 PM »
Juventus player Paulo Dybala has reportedly tested postive.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #338 on: March 12, 2020, 11:47:09 PM »
We have to argue very strongly that there should be no relegation and, if it comes to it, we have a game in hand. Our position should be that there be a 23 team league next year with four relegated in the next three seasons until we get back to 20 teams. Or 4 down and 2 up?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #339 on: March 12, 2020, 11:51:31 PM »
If you don't relegate teams then I don't see how you can promote teams.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #340 on: March 12, 2020, 11:55:13 PM »
Just have a bigger league next year. No teams were relegated in 1891 but two teams were still added to the league.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #341 on: March 12, 2020, 11:55:14 PM »

This.

Fuck the Albion.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #342 on: March 12, 2020, 11:57:21 PM »
Just have a bigger league next year. No teams were relegated in 1891 but two teams were still added to the league.

And who do you promote, and on what basis? And why would you promote them but not relegate teams using the same basis used to promote teams?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #343 on: March 12, 2020, 11:57:48 PM »
Mendy from Man City self isolating as well. It’s probs hard to avoid getting this, but standing with my kids and 40,000 others seems a bit irresponsible. I’ll give it a miss, especially as only reason it will still go ahead is greed on behalf premier league and Tory Govt wheighing up economic cost vrs old people dying

It's the 20 or so people sat around you and anybody who coughs or sneezes all over you en route to your seat. If you're sat in the upper Holte, you haven't got much to worry about from the majority of the ground or even the block over.

I’m in lower holte, but yea I was over egging the pudding tbh. Still as I drive to work, VP is probs where I’m in contact with more people at once other than the pub. If we were on the 10 game winning streak I might be less risk averse 😬

Offline Villan82

« Reply #344 on: March 12, 2020, 11:58:17 PM »

This.

Fuck the Albion.

The most important thing is that they don't relegate us. We have a strong case.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal