collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746855 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1995 on: April 11, 2020, 09:13:12 AM »
Australia is faring well compared to most for example there were only thirteen new cases reported yesterday in Victoria but the Premier of the state has said the lockdown will not be over in weeks but months so I can't possibly see how football can resume before September-October in Britain with all the problems you are having.

I've always had a duration of 12 weeks (lockdown) in my mind.  This is based on nothing at all.  However, working on that, it would take us to the last week of May.

At that point, I envisaged a limited return to normality with safe distancing etc still being carried out.

I can't see any justification in allowing footballers to start back at that point.  However, if offices, shops, factories etc are re-opened then I'm sure they would argue that footballers can return to work.  From that point, they would need 3 - 4 weeks mini pre-season.  My thinking is July at the earliest for actual games to begin.  From that point, they would need to finish the leagues plus cup competitions and then go straight into the following season.  It is doable on paper but depends entirely on being free from lockdown by June.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1996 on: April 11, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »
I don't see the rush to come to a decision. What you can do depends on when you can start playing again.

Agreed.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1997 on: April 11, 2020, 12:09:50 PM »
If there is any competitive football before August, I'll eat my hat.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1998 on: April 11, 2020, 12:13:39 PM »

Belarussian and Nicaraguan Leagues, mate.

Get eating.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1999 on: April 11, 2020, 12:16:25 PM »

Get eating.

Bhutan too.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2000 on: April 11, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »
I don't care what they do. Relegation, survival, what does it matter. Football will come back and frankly I hope there isn't a pile of court cases to resolve it (sorry Richard).

Here's an idea though. Why not roll the season back to the last time all clubs had played the same number of games?

That would take us back to late February.

So us and Bournemouth would be safe and Watford and West Ham would be down?

Right away that invites court cases from West Ham and Watford.

Realistically all we can do is wait and see how soon it is that football can realistically be played behind closed doors. 

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2001 on: April 11, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »
If they try and complete the season behind closed doors, I hope we do everything we can to stop it through the courts.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2002 on: April 11, 2020, 04:45:34 PM »
If they try and complete the season behind closed doors, I hope we do everything we can to stop it through the courts.

The sensible thing is to complete it and most clubs would want that.  What we have to do is ensure that no relegations take place and ask other clubs to support this.  As Dave said a few posts above as well as several others - It can't be completed fairly now.

I've no problem with the season being completed behind closed doors and I support the notion.  However, it cannot possibly allow for relegations to take place in those circumstances.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2003 on: April 11, 2020, 05:29:38 PM »
It makes no sense to complete the season and then not have relegation.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2004 on: April 11, 2020, 05:44:59 PM »

Why doesn’t it?

Liverpool get to win the title they deserve, European qualification gets decided and the clubs get the tv money they so desperately need.

There is no fair way to decide relegation if we go behind closed doors so we either let it go for the sake of achieving all the above or we unfairly relegate teams.

For me it makes perfect sense.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2005 on: April 11, 2020, 05:45:04 PM »

Get eating.

Damn you and your facts. Pass me the salt and pepper.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #2006 on: April 11, 2020, 06:07:08 PM »

Why doesn’t it?

Liverpool get to win the title they deserve, European qualification gets decided and the clubs get the tv money they so desperately need.

There is no fair way to decide relegation if we go behind closed doors so we either let it go for the sake of achieving all the above or we unfairly relegate teams.

How does it make sense to apply the rewards associated to finishing in a particular place (i.e. being champions, qualifying for Europe) and then at the same not apply the equivalent consequences for finishing in the bottom three? If they finish the season, and I don’t think they should, then it has to be treated as a fully completed season.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2007 on: April 11, 2020, 06:12:31 PM »

Why doesn’t it?

How does it make sense to apply the rewards associated to finishing in a particular place (i.e. being champions, qualifying for Europe) and then at the same not apply the equivalent consequences for finishing in the bottom three? If they finish the season, and I don’t think they should, then it has to be treated as a fully completed season.

No it doesn’t.

How can it be if we have 6 home games to play when some of our rivals have only 4? Do you appreciate the importance of home games?  How can you move the goalposts halfway through?

Liverpool is a forgone conclusion.  So are most of the European places.

How can you relegate a team given what’s at stake when some have had greater advantages than others?

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #2008 on: April 11, 2020, 06:31:36 PM »
But you’re being subjective based on our particular circumstances. If you’re a team chasing a top four place and you have less games in front of your home crowd than one of your rivals how is it any different?

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2009 on: April 11, 2020, 06:49:34 PM »
Yeah that makes no sense at all, why are a teams home games that are attempting to avoid relegation more important than a teams home games that are chasing Champions League?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal