collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 756192 times)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1980 on: April 10, 2020, 09:42:07 PM »
Our recent form is excellent- we haven’t lost for a month.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1981 on: April 10, 2020, 09:42:18 PM »
Scotland now looking at 2 up and no relegation according to the Giardoan.

Think this has to be the way to go for everybody, the sooner we draw a line under this season, for completely unforeseen circumstances, put it behind us, sooner we can start to think positive and move on, look forward to next season.

Villa can than look to this season has being a learning curve, put right the wrong and have a much better season next time out.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1982 on: April 10, 2020, 09:48:41 PM »
Our recent form is excellent- we haven’t lost for a month.

They're you go then, things are looking up.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1983 on: April 10, 2020, 09:51:08 PM »
Scotland now looking at 2 up and no relegation according to the Giardoan.

Think this has to be the way to go for everybody, the sooner we draw a line under this season, for completely unforeseen circumstances, put it behind us, sooner we can start to think positive and move on, look forward to next season.

Villa can than look to this season has being a learning curve, put right the wrong and have a much better season next time out.

Well said.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1984 on: April 10, 2020, 09:53:13 PM »
I don't see the rush to come to a decision. What you can do depends on when you can start playing again.

Say you can't start playing again till next Spring? You may as well just carry on from where we are now and finish as normal.

Say you can't start play again until August/September, you could look at finishing the season then changing to a summer season for the next couple of years until the Qatar World Cup is out of the way.

In the, what appears to me unlikely, event that we can begin play in June or July, you might have to consider other ways of concluding this season.

But limiting your options at the moment when you have no idea when play can recommence seems as daft as looking to book a holiday this summer, and I don't know anyone who is doing that.

Just wait until you know what timescale we are looking at before rushing into any decision which can't be undone.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1985 on: April 10, 2020, 09:56:05 PM »
I wouldn't jump the gun with predictions like that.

If being the operative word.  However, if pushed, I'd struggle to find 2 teams (in addition to Norwich) who will finish below us.

Personally, I think we have a chance but less of a chance than the other teams around us given our recent form, appalling defensive frailties and the 3 point (allowing for goal difference) deficit.

There's at least half a dozen teams you can say that about at different times this season.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1986 on: April 10, 2020, 10:07:48 PM »

If being the operative word.  However, if pushed, I'd struggle to find 2 teams (in addition to Norwich) who will finish below us.

Personally, I think we have a chance but less of a chance than the other teams around us given our recent form, appalling defensive frailties and the 3 point (allowing for goal difference) deficit.

There's at least half a dozen teams you can say that about at different times this season.

Yes - Watford & West Ham both have had theirs but seem to have come out of it.  We seem to have dipped at just the wrong time.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1987 on: April 10, 2020, 10:15:42 PM »
So did Southampton and Everton a while ago.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1988 on: April 10, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »

Yes - Watford & West Ham both have had theirs but seem to have come out of it.  We seem to have dipped at just the wrong time.

And that's the reason why it would be grossly unfair to end the season now, or to do anything that would penalise us more than any other club.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1989 on: April 10, 2020, 10:23:29 PM »
Yes I agree.  I don't believe there should be relegations if we are forced to play our remaining gmes behind closed doors.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1990 on: April 10, 2020, 10:33:40 PM »
Whatever good or bad form any particular team was in will have gone out of the window by now. It would be a struggle for most players, coaches and fans to remember their teams last five results. If the restart of football meant playing behind closed doors I presume it would still be televised via SKY live games and MOTD/Quest highlights. Games behind closed doors with no atmosphere are very dull to watch on TV but after going cold turkey for so long there would be a demand for any televised game even behind closed doors.

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #1991 on: April 10, 2020, 10:36:43 PM »
Football is the world's foremost spectator sport. Decide promotions and relegations behind closed doors and you may as well let the old pools panel decide the outcome of games. Or play virtual games, I'm sure plenty of gamers out there will love it.
Toss a coin? You could finish the season in a couple of hours.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1992 on: April 10, 2020, 11:03:20 PM »
Whatever good or bad form any particular team was in will have gone out of the window by now. It would be a struggle for most players, coaches and fans to remember their teams last five results. If the restart of football meant playing behind closed doors I presume it would still be televised via SKY live games and MOTD/Quest highlights. Games behind closed doors with no atmosphere are very dull to watch on TV but after going cold turkey for so long there would be a demand for any televised game even behind closed doors.

Of course it won't automatically have gone.  Take Sunderland for example.  They had an entire summer then a pre-season and still managed to get relegated again.  It happens all the time and it's just as possible that we will continue as we left off. 

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1993 on: April 11, 2020, 01:30:12 AM »
I don't care what they do. Relegation, survival, what does it matter. Football will come back and frankly I hope there isn't a pile of court cases to resolve it (sorry Richard).

Here's an idea though. Why not roll the season back to the last time all clubs had played the same number of games?

That would take us back to late February.

So us and Bournemouth would be safe and Watford and West Ham would be down?

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1994 on: April 11, 2020, 01:46:27 AM »
Australia is faring well compared to most for example there were only thirteen new cases reported yesterday in Victoria but the Premier of the state has said the lockdown will not be over in weeks but months so I can't possibly see how football can resume before September-October in Britain with all the problems you are having.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal