collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread  (Read 39611 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread
« Reply #285 on: February 16, 2020, 10:34:04 PM »
Think so.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #286 on: February 16, 2020, 10:39:55 PM »
Despite the result today and a filthy drive home on the M6 I'm far more confident we will stop up now we look to have a decent centre forward in Samatta. He links the play well and offers plenty of movement. I'm also encouraged we went toe to toe with a Champions League side and they only won due to a Captain at the end which could happen to anyone.

It's going to be tight...but were going to be ok.

Spurs are an average team this season. Didn't they score an injury time winner against us in week 1 too? We remain a soft touch I'm afraid and have picked up no momentum from beating Leicester.
Our last two home games before this were literally won in the same manner as we lost today. Does that make those teams a soft touch?

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #287 on: February 16, 2020, 10:45:11 PM »
Disappointed obviously, but an entertaining game lost in the end by a lack of concentration. Spurs defence are poor, ours was more naive (particularly the 3 cbs). That said I thought they had very little cover from either Luiz or Drinkwater. Freddy and Targett were 2 of our better players, along with Jack and Samatta. El Ghazi played okay too. Reina is a good goalie but I get nervous when keepers parry balls out to opposition forwards. The game could have ended 4 or 5 all. Finally var is ruining football. I haven't seen the game back but I believe we should have had a var decision in the 1st half for handball and in real time their pen didn't look a penalty. I hope we don't let their last minute winner affect us because we had a lot of positives from that game that we can bring forward to hopefully getting 3 points at soton next week. UTV!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #288 on: February 16, 2020, 10:53:20 PM »
Agree with Jenas. We can't park the defence as high v Man. United and Arsenal if we want results.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #289 on: February 16, 2020, 11:20:32 PM »
Watched the replay, disappointed but the weaknesses are obvious, without Mings we had no real speed across the backline which was exploited time and again by the pace of the Spurs forwards.
Playing Drinkwater is plain stupid yes I can see that he could get back to being a good player but he needs a hard pre-season behind him and to play him in a side desperate for points defies logic.
We need a new defensive couch to get some discipline it's great having attacking wing backs but if they leave the defence exposed time and again what's the point.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #290 on: February 16, 2020, 11:27:06 PM »
Playing Wing backs will leave you exposed and the ball into the Chanel is allways a tactic against 3 at the back. We then compound the issue with 2 in midfield so sometimes we are 3 2 5 or even worse when Luiz goes forward.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #291 on: February 16, 2020, 11:51:45 PM »
Did not realise until watching MOTD  who was was doing VAR I  should have known it was Johnathan Moss, if fact i remember saying to my friend at the match it was probably him. He really does seem to have something against Villa  , never even looked at the possible spurs handball in the first half .Aitkinson another referee who we never seem to get anything off.I remember in the first match of the season against Bournemouth he failed to send Billings off  and today how Spurs never recieved a yellow card only he knows.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #292 on: February 17, 2020, 12:01:07 AM »
Desperately unlucky to lose that. I’ve not seen every match this season, but that was the best performance by a long chalk over 90 minutes. I did think Spurs would win, but didn’t expect it to be that close in terms of performance. Really gutted about the error at the end. We had rode our luck a few times though, giving the ball away- Reina baled us out a few times. Cracking performance though, Spurs were shitting themselves at the back.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2020, 12:29:36 AM »
There was some atrocious defending at times. But we're at least trying to win.

Grealish as good as ever.
Reina was great.
Samatta looks really promising.
Guilbert seemed slow today.
Drinkwater was slow.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2020, 12:49:54 AM »
Watched the replay, disappointed but the weaknesses are obvious, without Mings we had no real speed across the backline which was exploited time and again by the pace of the Spurs forwards.
Playing Drinkwater is plain stupid yes I can see that he could get back to being a good player but he needs a hard pre-season behind him and to play him in a side desperate for points defies logic.
We need a new defensive couch to get some discipline it's great having attacking wing backs but if they leave the defence exposed time and again what's the point.

Konsa and Hause are hardly slouches.  Would agree there is a lack of pace in other areas though.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2020, 02:58:02 AM »
Atkinson is and has always been an atrocious referee. Old Mourinho dishing out praise in his direction after the game. Moronic. Did they receive a single yellow all afternoon?

As for Moss, another moron. Crap, never looks fit, and very self important. But then he's a Premier League referee, so that's to be expected.

Damn you Villa for throwing that away. See you on Saturday for more punishment.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:37:28 AM by Axl Rose »

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2020, 06:36:35 AM »
Drinkwater was hilariously bad

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #297 on: February 17, 2020, 06:44:03 AM »
Honestly, I know it’s disappointing to lose in the way we did, but there is some absolute fucking shit being written on here. If you’re that convinced that everything is rubbish, we’re shit and definitely going down then don’t bother watching anymore.

The game I was at we should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored, only an unbelievable save from their keeper and a pass from Jack when he should have shot kept them in it. We had more possession, more corners and more shots, and in the end we’re undone by a dodgy penalty and a mistake from a defender starting his first game in months.  Unfortunately it’s a tough league, and sometimes these things go against you.

What’s pissing me off more than anything else though is this attitude that Smith is useless and we have got a team that is not up to it. Have you seen us in the last 10 years? Do you remember what we looked like a little over 12 months ago? This team, by and large, is full of young players getting a full season at this level for the first time and they are trying their bollocks off - just look at the previous 2 home games for evidence. They are going to get things wrong, but they will also get better together the longer they have.

Totally agree. There’s so much negativity and throwing in the towel on here whenever we lose. No wonder we’re accused of being fickle.
This really fucks me off.
No one calls us fickle. No one accuses us of being fickle.
Only that c*** O’Leary and some of our own fans who keep fucking trotting it out.

We are no worse than the supporters of every other team who celebrate when things are going well and moan when they aren’t.

That word should be bloody well banned on here.

Well said, Andy. Spot on.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #298 on: February 17, 2020, 07:48:22 AM »
I'm not getting hysterical and thought we played well.  if we keep playing like that I thinl we'll be OK.  But that's the thing for me - and Deano alluded to it when talking about competing with the teams around us - we don;t play like that all the time.  Had we started like that at Bournemouth surely we would have blown them away, yet we seem to save our most abject performances for the games that matter against those in and around us.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #299 on: February 17, 2020, 08:22:15 AM »

Konsa and Hause are hardly slouches.  Would agree there is a lack of pace in other areas though.

Mings is as good a player as I’ve seen at the recovery tackle. It’s not just his speed and physicality, he’s very good at judging last ditch tackles which I think flatters us when we play a suicidally high line.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:26:56 AM by themossman »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal