collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread  (Read 39658 times)

Offline exiled on the wirral!

Re: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2020, 08:54:38 PM »
Despite the result today and a filthy drive home on the M6 I'm far more confident we will stop up now we look to have a decent centre forward in Samatta. He links the play well and offers plenty of movement. I'm also encouraged we went toe to toe with a Champions League side and they only won due to a Captain at the end which could happen to anyone.

It's going to be tight...but were going to be ok.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #271 on: February 16, 2020, 08:58:32 PM »
Keystone cops at the back at times today.  We went from the ridiculous to the sublime on several occasions with us giving the ball away in key positions and then throwing bodies in front of the ball to block shots, superbly.  We have absolutely zero physicality in the middle of the park and I honestly think this should have been urgently addressed by Smith in the window.  I do not buy the 'I've seen enough of us to think we'll be ok' theory as we keep losing these games when we should be picking up points.  Reina and Grealish were very good, Hause played well.  Engels has really endeared himself hasn't he?  A day to forget, although I don't think it was worthy of a penalty. 

Why didn't any of their players get booked for challenges?  Why wasn't the El Ghazi arm pull, leading to the clash of heads, referred to VAR?  Southampton on Saturday.  They have picked up just 11 points at home this season.  Enter...........Villa.  Time to stand up and be counted.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2020, 09:08:25 PM »
I have not watched the game yet but a couple of observations, Mings as valuable as he is to us was always susceptible to an absolute clanger and the second point is that for the most theses players were thrown together so they have had to learn quickly and not all of them are adapting well. I still believe we can get through this.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #273 on: February 16, 2020, 09:18:14 PM »
Keystone cops at the back at times today.  We went from the ridiculous to the sublime on several occasions with us giving the ball away in key positions and then throwing bodies in front of the ball to block shots, superbly.  We have absolutely zero physicality in the middle of the park and I honestly think this should have been urgently addressed by Smith in the window.  I do not buy the 'I've seen enough of us to think we'll be ok' theory as we keep losing these games when we should be picking up points.  Reina and Grealish were very good, Hause played well.  Engels has really endeared himself hasn't he?  A day to forget, although I don't think it was worthy of a penalty. 

Why didn't any of their players get booked for challenges?  Why wasn't the El Ghazi arm pull, leading to the clash of heads, referred to VAR?  Southampton on Saturday.  They have picked up just 11 points at home this season.  Enter...........Villa.  Time to stand up and be counted.
This sums it up. We were good enough for a lot of the time, should have been two goals clear, but even when we are on top, the players take it in turns to make mistakes. Apart from Engels, both Konsa and Hause (who played well generally) gave the ball away unnecessarily in dangerous areas. We are still way ahead of any other team in terms of shots conceded and we must be ahead in terms of creating unnecessary chances for the opposition.

We've had our own share of late winners but this was hard to stomach. We can't keep on getting nothing from the better teams and claiming we are good enough to stay up.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2020, 09:40:13 PM »
The move from the back where we passed it around and then created a chance at the other end was great. But more often than not we caused ourselves problems...

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2020, 09:53:29 PM »
I have not watched the game yet but a couple of observations, Mings as valuable as he is to us was always susceptible to an absolute clanger and the second point is that for the most theses players were thrown together so they have had to learn quickly and not all of them are adapting well. I still believe we can get through this.

Mings had been in good form after his return from injury and more importantly than that, marshals the defence well from that central position.  He was a big loss today.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:10:54 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline Allan C

« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2020, 09:57:38 PM »
Honestly, I know it’s disappointing to lose in the way we did, but there is some absolute fucking shit being written on here. If you’re that convinced that everything is rubbish, we’re shit and definitely going down then don’t bother watching anymore.

The game I was at we should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored, only an unbelievable save from their keeper and a pass from Jack when he should have shot kept them in it. We had more possession, more corners and more shots, and in the end we’re undone by a dodgy penalty and a mistake from a defender starting his first game in months.  Unfortunately it’s a tough league, and sometimes these things go against you.

What’s pissing me off more than anything else though is this attitude that Smith is useless and we have got a team that is not up to it. Have you seen us in the last 10 years? Do you remember what we looked like a little over 12 months ago? This team, by and large, is full of young players getting a full season at this level for the first time and they are trying their bollocks off - just look at the previous 2 home games for evidence. They are going to get things wrong, but they will also get better together the longer they have.

Totally agree. There’s so much negativity and throwing in the towel on here whenever we lose. No wonder we’re accused of being fickle.
Absolutely spot on  great post  I literally can’t believe some of the stuff I’m reading

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2020, 10:12:52 PM »
Honestly, I know it’s disappointing to lose in the way we did, but there is some absolute fucking shit being written on here. If you’re that convinced that everything is rubbish, we’re shit and definitely going down then don’t bother watching anymore.

The game I was at we should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored, only an unbelievable save from their keeper and a pass from Jack when he should have shot kept them in it. We had more possession, more corners and more shots, and in the end we’re undone by a dodgy penalty and a mistake from a defender starting his first game in months.  Unfortunately it’s a tough league, and sometimes these things go against you.

What’s pissing me off more than anything else though is this attitude that Smith is useless and we have got a team that is not up to it. Have you seen us in the last 10 years? Do you remember what we looked like a little over 12 months ago? This team, by and large, is full of young players getting a full season at this level for the first time and they are trying their bollocks off - just look at the previous 2 home games for evidence. They are going to get things wrong, but they will also get better together the longer they have.

Totally agree. There’s so much negativity and throwing in the towel on here whenever we lose. No wonder we’re accused of being fickle.
Absolutely spot on  great post  I literally can’t believe some of the stuff I’m reading

What sort of shit did better fans come up with before O’Leary used the word fickle?

I’m very interested to know.

Personally, I think most football fans, the good ones the bad ones and the best of the best fans, are fickle.

If you’re not, it’s pretty much a strange psychological state to always be in thrall and awe of your team and management’s performance.

Offline VillaBoy_23

« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2020, 10:14:55 PM »

This place has been hysterical for a while now. Either we’re the uncrowned premier league champions or mid-table championship.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2020, 10:21:01 PM »
Successful Premier League survival candidate would do me. 16th. Would also take 17th.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2020, 10:21:51 PM »
We lost a very tight and very entertaining game by the odd goal. But for Engels error it would have been seen as a great point.
I do agree about the hysteria on here post match.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #281 on: February 16, 2020, 10:25:45 PM »

This really fucks me off.
No one calls us fickle. No one accuses us of being fickle.
Only that ****** O’Leary and some of our own fans who keep fucking trotting it out.

We are no worse than the supporters of every other team who celebrate when things are going well and moan when they aren’t.

That word should be bloody well banned on here.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #282 on: February 16, 2020, 10:30:31 PM »

What sort of shit did better fans come up with before O’Leary used the word fickle?

I’m very interested to know.

Personally, I think most football fans, the good ones the bad ones and the best of the best fans, are fickle.

If you’re not, it’s pretty much a strange psychological state to always be in thrall and awe of your team and management’s performance.
Look back at some of comments. There’s being critical or fickle as you put it and there’s being absolutely hysterical. As others have posted we’re not even in the bottom three and the next five teams above us are equally likely to be drawn into the mire. I’m confident we’ll stay up it’s a pity some already have us down

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2020, 10:31:24 PM »
Despite the result today and a filthy drive home on the M6 I'm far more confident we will stop up now we look to have a decent centre forward in Samatta. He links the play well and offers plenty of movement. I'm also encouraged we went toe to toe with a Champions League side and they only won due to a Captain at the end which could happen to anyone.

Spurs are an average team this season. Didn't they score an injury time winner against us in week 1 too? We remain a soft touch I'm afraid and have picked up no momentum from beating Leicester.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2020, 10:32:47 PM »

Spurs are an average team this season. Didn't they score an injury time winner against us in week 1 too? We remain a soft touch I'm afraid and have picked up no momentum from beating Leicester.

They won 3-1, third was injury time iirc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal