collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread  (Read 39593 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2020, 05:30:30 PM »
Very deflating end to say the least.

I'm not sure what he was thinking. It's an horrendous and costly error. I'm reading about game management, but it's nothing to do with substitutions; get contact on the ball, whether you hoof it back down the pitch or shank it into the Trinity, it doesn't matter. I'm struggling to think of a more inexplicable, fundamental error as that.

Mings being out today was costly. When you're newly promoted, the quality available to you is at a premium. Does Mings get out paced for the penalty? Does Mings switch off in the middle at the death? Does Hause start and so routinely and consistently give the ball away? 

Hause is a big problem for me. He so consistently recycles the ball that he puts our midfield under immense pressure. He must drop out the side.

It was a very open and entertaining game. Spurs have quick forwards, not necessarily in straight line out and out pace, but with very quick movement.

They also had the freedom to lamp any Villa player they like. Dele Alli is reassuringly terrible, while Son has all the physical strength of a plastic bag caught in the breeze.

They caused us problems. We caused them problems. By the time they scored a volley that 9/10 is shanked into the upper tier, we ought to have been 3 up.

I felt we showed some good bottle to set about them and get on the front foot. Showed good determination to get it back to 2-2. Open, naturally, but I felt we deserved a point. I felt we had earned that point.

Sammatta impresses. Drinkwater still seems too slow, but not through lack of trying and actually was part of a lot of best interplay.

I think a large part of our problem has been naivety. I don't think that was the issue today. We went at them as much as they went at us. We're clearly a lot better on the front foot and I'd never want to die wondering.

What happened though at the end wasn't naivety, it was just. Well you'll have your own adjective.

How we react is going to be important. I felt we reacted well after Man City drilled us at Brighton. We have to pick ourselves up for Southampton and have the courage to go st them. It's important to stay positive or rather those in the club do and those who turn up on the South Coast anyway.

We're not going to grind our way out of this. We are where we are because of balls more than brains. So what has happened? We competed with a decent side and had a point, shot ourselves in both feet and wasted a free hit.

12 games, 12 points likely needed. I believe we can do it. Important the players, air ball aside, still do.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2020, 05:30:53 PM »
Nothing has changed, we provide teams with lots of opportunities to score and they do.
There is nothing positive to take from that game, we lost, it’s what we do.
We are heading for Division 2.

That's the spirit.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2020, 05:33:22 PM »
Defence lost us the game, so many errors and we always looked like we were going to concede. Engels was the misfit today but they've all dropped bollocks during the season. We have the worst defence in the league and if we go down that will be the reason.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2020, 05:34:21 PM »
We’re very similar to Norwich. Play decent football on our day, frequently plucky losers, carried by a few good players, fatally lacking in football smarts, bottled too many big games.

Totally agree.

Yup. Perpetually make the same errors.

Offline Five Villa Tattoos

« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2020, 05:34:43 PM »
A bullet proof manager, no matter how we play or how the results are, a squad with no decent striker, five decent players,( Jack, Mings, Super John, Heaton and Reina), two of which are poxy keepers.

I’m sorry, and kudos to you, but how exactly do people think we’ll stay up?

And who, other than those I’ve named, are giving you that hope?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2020, 05:35:44 PM »
A bullet proof manager, no matter how we play or how the results are, a squad with no decent striker, five decent players,( Jack, Mings, Super John, Heaton and Reina), two of which are poxy keepers. I’m sorry, and kudos to you, but how exactly do people think we’ll stay up?

West Ham, Watford and Norwich, all of who are below us.

Offline Fulford

« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2020, 05:35:59 PM »
Smith is just a half soaked manager who is out of his depth in this league.

Picking Drunkwaster ahead of Nakamba shows how stupid he is.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2020, 05:39:31 PM »
3 at the back and still concede too many , you have to ask if its just better to go back to 4 at the back and refill CM.In other words I suspect having  CH in CM will get us more goals than having Konsa in a back 3will stop us conceding more.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2020, 05:41:03 PM »
Very deflating end to say the least.

I'm not sure what he was thinking. It's an horrendous and costly error. I'm reading about game management, but it's nothing to do with substitutions; get contact on the ball, whether you hoof it back down the pitch or shank it into the Trinity, it doesn't matter. I'm struggling to think of a more inexplicable, fundamental error as that.

Mings being out today was costly. When you're newly promoted, the quality available to you is at a premium. Does Mings get out paced for the penalty? Does Mings switch off in the middle at the death? Does Hause start and so routinely and consistently give the ball away? 

Hause is a big problem for me. He so consistently recycles the ball that he puts our midfield under immense pressure. He must drop out the side.

It was a very open and entertaining game. Spurs have quick forwards, not necessarily in straight line out and out pace, but with very quick movement.

They also had the freedom to lamp any Villa player they like. Dele Alli is reassuringly terrible, while Son has all the physical strength of a plastic bag caught in the breeze.

They caused us problems. We caused them problems. By the time they scored a volley that 9/10 is shanked into the upper tier, we ought to have been 3 up.

I felt we showed some good bottle to set about them and get on the front foot. Showed good determination to get it back to 2-2. Open, naturally, but I felt we deserved a point. I felt we had earned that point.

Sammatta impresses. Drinkwater still seems too slow, but not through lack of trying and actually was part of a lot of best interplay.

I think a large part of our problem has been naivety. I don't think that was the issue today. We went at them as much as they went at us. We're clearly a lot better on the front foot and I'd never want to die wondering.

What happened though at the end wasn't naivety, it was just. Well you'll have your own adjective.

How we react is going to be important. I felt we reacted well after Man City drilled us at Brighton. We have to pick ourselves up for Southampton and have the courage to go st them. It's important to stay positive or rather those in the club do and those who turn up on the South Coast anyway.

We're not going to grind our way out of this. We are where we are because of balls more than brains. So what has happened? We competed with a decent side and had a point, shot ourselves in both feet and wasted a free hit.

12 games, 12 points likely needed. I believe we can do it. Important the players, air ball aside, still do.

Voice of reason once again Ads

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2020, 05:42:03 PM »
Defence lost us the game, so many errors and we always looked like we were going to concede. Engels was the misfit today but they've all dropped bollocks during the season. We have the worst defence in the league and if we go down that will be the reason.

We just miss Mings organising them. Our attempts to play the offside line were hopeless all game. No way to me it would've been as bad if Mings had been shouting when to push up or stay deep.

I said in the summer I'd have been more than happy picking up Gary Cahill on a 12 month deal. Odd to me we didn't look for that type of short term CB given it was decided Chester was finished at this level.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
Villa 2 - Villa 3

Each goal gifted.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2020, 05:44:54 PM »
A bullet proof manager, no matter how we play or how the results are, a squad with no decent striker, five decent players,( Jack, Mings, Super John, Heaton and Reina), two of which are poxy keepers. I’m sorry, and kudos to you, but how exactly do people think we’ll stay up?

West Ham, Watford and Norwich, all of who are below us.

Is that some kind of achievement? The only reason we are not in bottom 3 is luck not because of smith.

He cant hide forever results have to improve

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2020, 05:45:11 PM »
Just home and completely deflated by this.

We'd played really well and deserved the point and then we just chuck it away, absolutely fucking gift wrap it for them.

It's just us. It's what we do.

We absolutely must win next week.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2020, 05:45:37 PM »
A bullet proof manager, no matter how we play or how the results are, a squad with no decent striker, five decent players,( Jack, Mings, Super John, Heaton and Reina), two of which are poxy keepers.

I’m sorry, and kudos to you, but how exactly do people think we’ll stay up?

You’ve got to have hope or what’s the point? I had hope when we last got relegated and we were a much much worse team than we are now. Listing those players is also ignoring the fact that both full backs, Konsa, Luiz, el ghazi, Samatta all played well today and have generally been playing better since the turn of the year.

I get huge disappointment, I’m feeling it massively, but we’re not even in the bottom 3 never mind cut adrift like Norwich, so I don’t get people having us relegated with 3 months to go.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2020, 05:45:59 PM »
Smith is just a half soaked manager who is out of his depth in this league.

Picking Drunkwaster ahead of Nakamba shows how stupid he is.

What did nakamba do after he came on to justify that ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal