collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread  (Read 39693 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline baddowvillans

Re: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2020, 05:10:03 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments about Jack I thought he looked absolute quality today and any idiots out there that can say he's a diver or not good enough for mid table teams like Man U,Arsenal or Spuds needs their head examining

Offline KRS

« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2020, 05:11:11 PM »
What an absolute sickener. Could have won, should have drawn...but lost in the last minute.

The writing was on the wall for the last 10 minutes or so as we sat deeper and deeper, and lost complete control of the game as we chased shadows. We’ve seen this story so many times, that it was inevitable.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2020, 05:11:22 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments about Jack I thought he looked absolute quality today and any idiots out there that can say he's a diver or not good enough for mid table teams like Man U,Arsenal or Spuds needs their head examining

He was our best player by a distance, as he generally is every game.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2020, 05:12:33 PM »
Jack looked really isolated on the left today. His decision making was mostly off today.

That’s what good teams/managers do. They find a way to isolate him on the left. Lesser teams allow him to cut in and play a more centre left role. He’s so much less a player when he’s pushed out wide.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2020, 05:12:52 PM »
For Legion et al - Engels' painful error. https://streamable.com/vc2z3

Oh dear.

8 straight defeats when we've started or brought on Engels with 21 goals conceded as well.

The guy is a donkey, good player my ****.

Let's not make it a ninth next week.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
I’m as absolutely gutted as anyone on here, my 9 year old said to me as we were walking back to the train, ‘I think we’re going down down dad’. He may be right, or it might just feel like that because of the way we lost.

However, in my opinion that is as well as we’ve played all season. We made spurs look very ordinary for most of the game. We lost because of one debatable decision by VAR and one horrendous mistake, by Engels, who otherwise played well. In fact literally a second before the mistake I nearly turned round to my son to say we hadn’t missed Mings.

In 2016, we lose that game 3-0 and don’t compete. Other than Drinkwater, who still looked off the pace to me, every one of those players put in a shift today. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, my opinion is some of the criticism on here is OTT. Relegation is not nailed on and I don’t actually think we’re shit. I’ve sat there today and watched us outplay the champions league finalists for large part of the game. Yes we still lost, but we play that way in every other game this season and for me we don’t go down. And Samatta looks an absolute player.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2020, 05:13:57 PM »
DS: "It’s a huge amount, yeah. People keep talking about we can’t beat the top teams. It’s not rocket science. You play the teams in & around you, they’re the type of games you’re meant to win & compete in

Found this comment appalling from Smith if he thinks just beating those teams around us is enough then he is deluded.One of the trademarks of teams that stay up after a relegation fight is the ability to get points from teams near the top when they are not supposed too

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2020, 05:14:37 PM »
I thought Spurs were s*** for the first half hour. Everytime we attacked their CBs were at panic station and just booting it out for throw ins and corners. Looked exactly like a team with two away wins at kick off.

Ultimately we lost it with those missed chances at 1-0. It never changes against the top teams that you need to be ultra clinical on top. Spurs went into half time winning with 35%. In a funny way they remind me a bit of us under MON. Not much pace in central midfield but ping balls over the top and likes of Moura and Son will cause chaos.

We were also unlucky a player who hadn't scored since May 2017 rifled one in from a corner like Harry Kane. That really deflated us.

Second half I agree it was a case of hanging onto the 2-2 and Spurs were more likely to score given some of the chances.

Only we could concede a goal 20 seconds after having a goal kick in 93rd minute though. Calamitous way to lose a game.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2020, 05:14:47 PM »
I’d we’d had Samatta all season I think we’d be in much better place.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2020, 05:14:51 PM »
For Legion et al - Engels' painful error. https://streamable.com/vc2z3

Oh dear.

8 straight defeats when we've started or brought on Engels with 21 goals conceded as well.

The guy is a donkey, good player my ****.

Let's not make it a ninth next week.

Is that true?! My god.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2020, 05:16:36 PM »
DS: "It’s a huge amount, yeah. People keep talking about we can’t beat the top teams. It’s not rocket science. You play the teams in & around you, they’re the type of games you’re meant to win & compete in

Found this comment appalling from Smith if he thinks just beating those teams around us is enough then he is deluded.One of the trademarks of teams that stay up after a relegation fight is the ability to get points from teams near the top when they are not supposed too

I just saw that and tried to copy and paste it, what an absolutely terrible mentality that is.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2020, 05:18:32 PM »
I thought Spurs were s*** for the first half hour. Everytime we attacked their CBs were at panic station and just booting it out for throw ins and corners. Looked exactly like a team with two away wins at kick off.

Ultimately we lost it with those missed chances at 1-0. It never changes against the top teams that you need to be ultra clinical on top. Spurs went into half time winning with 35%. In a funny way they remind me a bit of us under MON. Not much pace in central midfield but ping balls over the top and likes of Moura and Son will cause chaos.

We were also unlucky a player who hadn't scored since May 2017 rifled one in from a corner like Harry Kane. That really deflated us.

Second half I agree it was a case of hanging onto the 2-2 and Spurs were more likely to score given some of the chances.

Only we could concede a goal 20 seconds after having a goal kick in 93rd minute though. Calamitous way to lose a game.

Truth be told, Spurs could’ve had 5 or 6 today. We gave them a lot today but Reina was up for it.

I didn’t expect to win, I’m glad we competed but I’m a little ashamed of the way we have crumbled against the other big clubs this season.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2020, 05:18:38 PM »

I just saw that and tried to copy and paste it, what an absolutely terrible mentality that is.

Abysmal. No wonder our record against said "top teams" has been so pathetic this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal