collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread  (Read 39644 times)

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
Re: Aston Villa v Spurs Post Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2020, 04:50:17 PM »
Didn’t deserve that.

I'm sorry but we absolutely did. We didn't take our chances. We gifted them lots and lots before the winner. Reina stood on his fucking head all game to deny them. We were beaten for being precisely who and what we are and have been all season long.

I disagree we definitely didn't deserve it.

We were beaten by an individual mistake in the last seconds, nothing to do with how many chances we missed or spurs missed.

I don't think we can defend like we did today and feel like we deserved anything from the game. We played some nice stuff going forward granted and Luiz missing the sitter when 1-0 was a big moment, but ultimately our defending was so shocking the result was a fair one.

Not having Mings in the team didn't help.

To be fair I thought spurs defence was pretty poor as well for a so called top team.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »
Jack looked really isolated on the left today. His decision making was mostly off today.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2020, 04:55:33 PM »
I think we have to accept that we're still very much in the doldrums, despite the promotion. Villa have been very poor for about 7 or 8 full years now and the days of being consistently prem standard are long gone, we have to get used to this and be patient. We're going to be poor for the foreseeable and just have to hope that there is a plan to sign some decent footballers after Grealish is sold.

We have been poor for ten full years. I think the decline set in about this time ten years ago when we lost the League Cup final under O'Neill? I recall a 7-1 thrashing against Chelsea soon after and a dreadful couple of results to end that season.

We were still competitive under Houllier IMO.
Sorry I disagree  we’ve been declining since O’Neil  steadily getting worse  not so steadily really  Still think that we should stick with Smith and build  the makings are there and I think we’ll stay up  just got to keep the faith

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2020, 04:56:28 PM »
That's a proper sickening end to the game, but I'm trying my best to balance it with the end of the Brighton and Watford games.

I thought we deserved a draw, and actually played pretty well for long periods considering SOME of the performances we've put in over the last few months.  We look good going forward, but I'm never confident when we're defending.

I have some sympathy for Engels.  It's fine margins at the top level and he's a couple of inches from the perfect tackle for the pen, and a couple of inches from controlling it in the 94th minute.  And he scored a good goal.  The question is whether that sort of mistake is 'typical' or not. I'm not sure it is, he was playing well until dropped before Xmas (Southampton apart).

Regardless of the performance, and the positives, it's another game gone and zero points.  With West Ham playing Liverpool and City in their next two, Southampton becomes massive.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2020, 04:56:32 PM »
At least we scored from a corner ...

3 subs made 1 helped us the other 2 ( alot like Liverpool helped in our downfall ) Trez did literally nothing when he came on but lose the ball or make bad decisions.Baston almost gave a goal away and came to head the ball on the halfway line for the winner , so when Luiz flicked it on there was no one forward to pressure the Spurs defender .

Drinkwater , god he tried but dear god he is a nothing player and playing a 2 man CM with him as one of them is asking for trouble.

Pace we have none time and time again we got done for pace all over the park.

6 goals conceded in 2 games to Spurs , both loss's when we lead the game..its the story of the season we simply can not defend , we can't grind out results.I'll be amazed if Smith is manager this time next year regardless of league we are in he simply doesn't have it in him to drill a side to defend

In our position you need to be able to grind out draws and 1 nil wins ..we can't do it .5 goals conceded in our last 2 games

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2020, 04:57:54 PM »
Jack looked really isolated on the left today. His decision making was mostly off today.

Yet he was our best player by a country mile

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2020, 04:59:53 PM »
Granted it was a short cameo but Baston looked an utter carthorse when he came on.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »
Didn’t deserve that.

I'm sorry but we absolutely did. We didn't take our chances. We gifted them lots and lots before the winner. Reina stood on his fucking head all game to deny them. We were beaten for being precisely who and what we are and have been all season long.

I disagree we definitely didn't deserve it.

We were beaten by an individual mistake in the last seconds, nothing to do with how many chances we missed or spurs missed.

I don't think we can defend like we did today and feel like we deserved anything from the game. We played some nice stuff going forward granted and Luiz missing the sitter when 1-0 was a big moment, but ultimately our defending was so shocking the result was a fair one.

This is about right I think. We played at our maximum going forward and we’re pretty good to watch at times but defensively we are all over the place. Lucas Moura found pockets of space all game and we never coped with it.

All our defending is last ditch tackles and blocks because we’re not well drilled or organised. We play on the edge all the time and teams just play through us, both wide and through the middle.

Another team that have had more than 20 shots against us.

Grealish was simply magnificent again.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:02:56 PM by nick harper »

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »
Can't see us staying up with the defensive record we have, despite not looking too bad in other areas.

If we get relegated, we might be able to offset FFP issues with the sale of Jack. Not sure about keeping Smith but I don't know who else is out there and the team still needs work, obviously in defence and also in midfield, where we look lightweight to say the least.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2020, 05:02:25 PM »
It’s unacceptable to lose bloody games like this. Our inability to defend/stop chances is disgraceful.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2020, 05:02:29 PM »
Gremlins was simply magnificent again.

It's a good film, not sure I'd call it magnificent though.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2020, 05:03:51 PM »
Granted it was a short cameo but Baston looked an utter carthorse when he came on.

Honest question; Why bring on a forward, who is not known for his pace or work rate, to kill off the last 10 minutes?

Was Samatta tired?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2020, 05:04:04 PM »
Can someone please explain exactly what Engels actually did?

A hopeless  through ball went straight to him.  Instead of trying to control the ball with his instep he tried to trap it with his studs.  Went straight through him letting in Son.  'Schoolboy error' doesn't do it justice.

Thank you.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2020, 05:06:44 PM »
One point near the end, at 2-2, nakamba was the only player in our half and none of our defenders seemed overly bothered about getting back in position. I don’t think it’s attitude so it must be coaching.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal