collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 149123 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #1275 on: July 20, 2020, 08:43:26 AM »
I don't think it is too strange to be pessimistic when we have been mostly shit for a decade, haven't won at home to Arsenal this century and have watched them lose countless matches we wanted them to win against mediocre opposition in the meantime. Expecting the worst while hoping to be pleasantly surprised is a good way of dealing with things for some of us.

There seems to be an odd mindset creeping onto here lately that you're somehow not a proper fan or, ridiculously, "want us to lose" if you have any less than blind optimism.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #1276 on: July 20, 2020, 09:03:10 AM »
I don't think it is too strange to be pessimistic when we have been mostly shit for a decade, haven't won at home to Arsenal this century and have watched them lose countless matches we wanted them to win against mediocre opposition in the meantime. Expecting the worst while hoping to be pleasantly surprised is a good way of dealing with things for some of us.

There seems to be an odd mindset creeping onto here lately that you're somehow not a proper fan or, ridiculously, "want us to lose" if you have any less than blind optimism.

Agreed. Duncan Shaw was only stating the obvious above. Just because some of us are realists and don't blindly stumble around with our claret and blue specs on, doesn't make us any less of a supporter.

Obviously, we'd all die to see Villa claw their way out of this mess (of their own doing), but realistically, looking at form/past results, it's highly unlikely to actually happen.

It's a funny old game, and we'll all be glued to the telly/radio tomorrow, (and if things do work out) Sunday regardless!
UTV

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1277 on: July 20, 2020, 09:07:45 AM »
What if Le Lapin self proclaims his opinion as realism?

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #1278 on: July 20, 2020, 09:12:36 AM »
I don't think Bournemouth are completely gone. If both us and Watford lose tomorrow, which is distinctlly possibile, then they're right back in it. I can certainly see them winning at Everton on the final day.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1279 on: July 20, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »

He can do what he likes, so far as I can see he wasn't trotting out the "want us to lose" nonsense.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1280 on: July 20, 2020, 09:24:44 AM »
I personally think we have left ourselves with too much to do but while there's still a chance, you just never know.

Offline Le Lapin

• GM : 14.10.2022
« Reply #1281 on: July 20, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
Its all in our hands now. A win and a draw should do it, pending expected results elsewhere of course. If we balls this up we deserve to go down.

It’s in our hands pending results elsewhere?!

Yes, pending expected results elsewhere, Citeh beating Watford, Arsenal beating Watford and hoping Everton turn up against Bournemouth.

So we are hoping to beat Arsenal, who outplayed Citeh at the weekend but hope that said Citeh beat Watford and then the Arsenal we manage to beat return to form to beat Watford, with nothing to play for in the league and one eye on the cup final...….Okaaaaayyyy!

A win and a draw for us as per my original post, not sure in what order.  If you haven't hope, well then, what have you got? I'm well aware how weak this Villa team is, but I keep on believing that it will turn around for us at some stage.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1282 on: July 20, 2020, 09:31:12 AM »

This, and you also have people accusing fans of 'blindly stumbling around with claret and blue specs on'. There's nothing at all wrong in thinking we could still get out of it.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1283 on: July 20, 2020, 09:46:12 AM »
I'm very much a pint half spilt sort of guy, but even I don't think Bournemouth and Watford not winning again this season is stretching probability that much. You could say the same about us, but 4 points in 2 games shows some sort of recent form. Same again and we could easily stay up

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1284 on: July 20, 2020, 09:56:56 AM »

Perhaps if some posters were't so keen to shout down anyone who looks even vaguely supportive it might not happen.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1285 on: July 20, 2020, 09:59:44 AM »
The 5 Results we need in order of difficulty;

1.Villa beat Arsenal
2. Southampton beat Bournemouth
3. Villa beat West Ham
4. West Ham beat Watford
5. Man City beat Watford

40% there, with the hardest to come for us. If 1 and 5 on the list come in, we're doing it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1286 on: July 20, 2020, 10:07:30 AM »

Perhaps if some posters were't so keen to shout down anyone who looks even vaguely supportive it might not happen.

I don't think there has been any equivalent of the nonsense on the previous page from our Illinois Correspondent from the less confident among us.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1287 on: July 20, 2020, 10:11:31 AM »

I don't think there has been any equivalent of the nonsense on the previous page from our Illinois Correspondent from the less confident among us.
You might want to read some of the previous posts, and they say Americans don’t get Irony.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1288 on: July 20, 2020, 10:13:17 AM »

Which of course hasn't happened.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1289 on: July 20, 2020, 10:16:49 AM »

You might want to read some of the previous posts, and they say Americans don’t get Irony.

Yeah sure, Alanis.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal