collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148951 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #510 on: June 23, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »
It won't surprise me if they ship 3+ goals v spurs as they really don't have any togetherness. Midfield will be overrun and Son and Moura if they start should take advantage

We could do with them and others shipping lots of goals to cancel out our poor goal difference. Right now I can see us being relegated on goal difference, it's that tight down there.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #511 on: June 23, 2020, 04:52:33 PM »
Like I said theyve been shit, but in Antonio, Fornals, Anderson, Bowen, Lanzini, Yarmalenko, Wilshere, Rice & Fabianski I think they have a lot more quality to call on than we do.  I'd also take their fullbacks over ours.

They are struggling and whether they can make it click remains to be seen, but I think they have a better chance than us.
I have been surprised how poor they look, in the games I have watched they seem to play ok and then concede and look all over the place.
I agree they have more individual talent and an easier run in. I think they will survive at our expense.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #512 on: June 24, 2020, 12:18:53 AM »
Like I said theyve been shit, but in Antonio, Fornals, Anderson, Bowen, Lanzini, Yarmalenko, Wilshere, Rice & Fabianski I think they have a lot more quality to call on than we do.  I'd also take their fullbacks over ours.

They are struggling and whether they can make it click remains to be seen, but I think they have a better chance than us.

Off the bat I'd say Grealish, Mings and McGinn are better than any of those. AEG and Trez aren't great players but both have moments of quality that are on a par with Antonio, Lanzini and Yarmalenko who are just as inconsistent. Aside from that Samatta has shown he's dangerous if we can find him in the box and Luiz and Hourihane both have it in them to score a screamer from nothing as well. I honestly think that anyone who thinks they've got a better squad is suffering from watching us all the time and only seeing West Ham on highlights. The same is true for Bournemouth as well, both are very poor sides.

I reckon the 2 that go down will end up with about 32 and 34/35 points, I just don't see all 3 of us getting the 3-4 wins required to make 37-38 points the target. I don't think Watford are clear either, Deeney and Deulofeu have carried them just as much as Jack and John have carried us.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #513 on: June 24, 2020, 10:27:46 PM »
2 wins 6pts - Newcastle and Palace.
4 draws - 4pts Wolves , Arsenal ,  Everton , West Ham
2 defeats - Liverpool , Man Utd

10pts = 36pts

Have to revise that !
3 wins - Palace ,Everton , West Ham
2- draws Wolves Arsenal
2- defeats Liverpool and Man Utd

11pts .
😄

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #514 on: June 25, 2020, 08:44:20 AM »
I'd feel a hell of a lot more confident about us winning a few games if some of these matches were being played in front of a packed Villa Park.

Glass Half Full  - we've made up ground on the teams immediately above us.

Glass Half Empty - we probably need at least 3 more wins or at minimum 2 wins and 2 draws and I just don't see where this upsurge in form is going to come from.   

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #515 on: June 25, 2020, 10:15:48 AM »
One win could change a lot. There are often surprise results at the end of the season as many teams have little to play for. Unfortunately we have played two such teams so far and to only get two points from those games could sink us for a finish. Our only saving grace is that West Ham, Bournemouth and Norwich have been equally as bad if not worse since the restart.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #516 on: June 25, 2020, 10:18:14 AM »
I'd feel a hell of a lot more confident about us winning a few games if some of these matches were being played in front of a packed Villa Park.

Glass Half Full  - we've made up ground on the teams immediately above us.

Glass Half Empty - we probably need at least 3 more wins or at minimum 2 wins and 2 draws and I just don't see where this upsurge in form is going to come from.   
Especially after the inevitable batterings we'll likely be on the receiving end of next week.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #517 on: June 25, 2020, 10:22:35 AM »
We've missed so many opportunities over the last 9 games it's ridiculous.  Brighton, Bounrmouth, Southampton, a way below par Sheffield and Newcastle.  Three points from those 5 games is why we'll go down.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #518 on: June 25, 2020, 11:34:46 AM »
We've missed so many opportunities over the last 9 games it's ridiculous.  Brighton, Bounrmouth, Southampton, a way below par Sheffield and Newcastle.  Three points from those 5 games is why we'll go down.

That’s true. And there are other examples from earlier in the season (Burnley at home etc.) but our record against the ‘other 14’ team is actually the best of the bottom six.
It’s just as much the fact we somehow managed to take nothing from decent positions against Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool. All the other teams have nicked a result here or there.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #519 on: June 25, 2020, 12:32:00 PM »
having seen all these 'i cant see where the next win is coming from' posts over the many years iv'e been on this site
and always thought they were a bit over the top, we cant be that bad i think, there's always a chance of something here or there

but for the first time i'm saying - i cant see where the next win is coming from

the Newcastle game was our best chance of 3 points out of all our remaining fixtures and we screwed it up

i think i was more disappointed with that result than the Chelsea one, the Chelsea performance was embarrassing but its what iv'e come to expect against a so called top 6 team
we've taken 1 point so far against those 6 which is a complete joke, absolute bottle jobs

we needed that win against Newcastle
its no use looking at the league and seeing we are a bit closer to the other teams and thinking that's a positive its just delusional

if Norwich are down and Bournmouth are the other candidates we can hopefully finish above then that leaves us West Ham and Watford scrapping to not be the other team relegated

West Ham have the easiest run in by far, they play Burnley (who have given up) Newcastle ( nothing to play for) Watford and then Norwich who are nearly already down
i reckon there's a minimum of 6 points but probably more from them games for them the jammy bastards

so although the league looks close its not great looking at the fixtures and realising we cant buy a win against bad teams never mind the next 3 which are Wolves, Liverpool Man Utd if we get 1 point from that lot we'll be lucky the way we are playing

unfortunately i cant see a way out, especially with Smiths dismal teams and tactics
i like him but he's not been able to step up and is definitely out of his depth in this league,
with no learning from mistakes or improvement likely which is the really damming statement

i would snap your hand off right now for a must Win at West Ham to stay up decider
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 12:35:43 PM by john e »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #520 on: June 25, 2020, 12:42:40 PM »
Exactly the “we are on the same points” is fascicle when you compare our fixtures.
We only get out of this if we pull off some astonishing results And or West Ham completely fuck up against some really poor and disinterested opposition.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #521 on: June 25, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »
It's a good job football isn't played on paper.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #522 on: June 25, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »
West Ham still got to play Man U and Chelsea. They win about as many games as us and "completely fuck up" about the same as us as well.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #523 on: June 25, 2020, 01:32:19 PM »
Unfair to say Newcastle and Sheff were way below-par. Going forward maybe, but that made it all the harder to score as they reverted to type - being well-organised and difficult to score against. Unfortunately so are a lot of our remaining opponents. We're going to have to pull a rabbit out from somewhere.

The worry is that the next three games yield no points and a total collapse in confidence. I'd fancy us to pick up a win or two if the fixtures were swapped and instead of Wolves/Pool/Ure, our next three games were Palace/Everton/Arsenal.

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #524 on: June 25, 2020, 01:38:20 PM »
It's not done and dusted at all, but we're very much going to have to do things the hard way.

We've shown we can hurt the top teams - we've lead against literally all of the top 7 at some point this season (I realise Wolves doesn't really count as it was nothing like their first team), we just need to somehow find a way to beat them. Ourselves, Bournemouth and Norwich certainly look like the three most likely to drop, but it's not all doom and gloom yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal