collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread  (Read 156879 times)

Offline VillaBoy_23

Re: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread
« Reply #915 on: February 24, 2020, 04:50:10 PM »
I was the most positive person on earth about the final until I went to Southampton on Saturday. The ‘performance’ was a disgrace and has left a real bad taste in my mouth.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #916 on: February 24, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
Hating positive posts about a cup final seems a tad bizarre. We all realistically know that we're massive underdogs but hating that someone is positive is weird.

That isn't what I said though.  Positivity is good, but chest-beating posts like that I don't like. Each to their own.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #917 on: February 24, 2020, 04:56:26 PM »
The only thing I'm clinging to is that we were shite in the run up to the 1994 Final. While it is far from ideal, as we are in a relegation fight for our lives, we wouldn't be the first or last team to be distracted by an impending cup final, and produce a much better standard than expected in the final itself.

I'm choosing to ignore the fact that we were shit in the run up to the 2015 FA Cup Final as that doesn't suit my argument.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #918 on: February 24, 2020, 05:03:07 PM »
The only thing I'm clinging to is that we were shite in the run up to the 1994 Final. While it is far from ideal, as we are in a relegation fight for our lives, we wouldn't be the first or last team to be distracted by an impending cup final, and produce a much better standard than expected in the final itself.

I'm choosing to ignore the fact that we were shit in the run up to the 2015 FA Cup Final as that doesn't suit my argument.

We were shite for the rest of the season in 94.  Probably best we don't look for comparisons!

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #919 on: February 24, 2020, 05:10:10 PM »
No offence at all but I really hate rah rah posts like that.  Well done on trying to be positive, but I'm going there intending to enjoy the day but throughly convinced we're going to lose.

Get over yourself.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #920 on: February 24, 2020, 05:17:34 PM »
We beat Liverpool under 23s, not Liverpool. You know and I know that a full strength Liverpool would probably have beat us. I know anything can happen and I am hoping that in a one off game it does, Man City are below par, and we play as we never have and win the bloody thing. In all honestly I dont think we will win. I will go and sing and hopefully have a great day.

We beat the team put out in front of us. We were beating them in the league until the final minutes when they snuck the win.

So err Liverpool won? Look I want Villa to win, if i could make Villa win by only thinking positive thoughts, then I would, but I can’t make Villa win by my thoughts, nor can I bend spoons, nor can I predict the lottery tickets or talk to my nans dead budgie, nor to my dead nan. What I can do is go and support them. Do I think they will win, no unfortunately, do I hope I’m wrong, bloody hell YES

Online KRS

« Reply #921 on: February 24, 2020, 05:39:44 PM »
Entirely different circumstances granted, but I’m pretty sure we were the overwhelming underdogs against Bayern Munich.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #922 on: February 24, 2020, 06:01:32 PM »
Of course we're probably going to lose but it's my first ever trip to Wembley so I am going to make sure I have a fun day regardless. UT effing V.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #923 on: February 24, 2020, 06:08:29 PM »
Get those prayer mats out Aston Villa fans

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #924 on: February 24, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »
Entirely different circumstances granted, but I’m pretty sure we were the overwhelming underdogs against Bayern Munich.
Bayern were favourites but don’t recall it being anything like this weekend’s situation

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #925 on: February 24, 2020, 06:31:22 PM »
If it gives anyone hope, Wigan were in poor form heading into their FA Cup final win against Man City.

The two games prior were a 3-2 loss at home to Swansea, and a 4-1 battering away at Arsenal.

Wigan were 9/1 to win in 90 minutes, whilst we're 10/1 to win the cup overall (only comparison I could find)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #926 on: February 24, 2020, 06:32:13 PM »
They also got relegated.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #927 on: February 24, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »
They also got relegated.

Of course.

If we're going to go down (and we might do), I'd rather we go down with the cup.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #928 on: February 24, 2020, 07:05:42 PM »
I don't understand going into a final utterly resigned to defeat despite the fact that it is highly likely.
Football fans live on the oxygen of hope,  otherwise why support anyone other than those nailed onto to win things? Because it is more than that, it is your town or City, your friends, your memories, your heroes, your family. That's why we're all spending money, time and our precious patience on a Sunday afternoon in February. We might be on a hiding to nothing but while there is hope there is reason to be, for any football fan.

I hope we win, we probably won't but I'll love Sunday.

Offline Chipsticks

« Reply #929 on: February 24, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
I don't understand going into a final utterly resigned to defeat despite the fact that it is highly likely.
Football fans live on the oxygen of hope,  otherwise why support anyone other than those nailed onto to win things? Because it is more than that, it is your town or City, your friends, your memories, your heroes, your family. That's why we're all spending money, time and our precious patience on a Sunday afternoon in February. We might be on a hiding to nothing but while there is hope there is reason to be, for any football fan.

I hope we win, we probably won't but I'll love Sunday.

Well said, Nev!

I'm seeing Sunday as a wonderful chance for a day out with friends and family, surrounded by the Claret and Blue colours I love.

Nice brucie bonus is getting to see Jack lead the team out in a major final.

I'll enjoy the game being nowhere near as stressful as the two play-off finals!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal