collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread  (Read 156669 times)

Offline LeonW

Re: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread
« Reply #945 on: February 24, 2020, 10:31:36 PM »
NO. Place goes to League position.
O
Typical (Thanks). Sure if we’d have been close in the league it would have been given to cup finalists instead (I realise it will have been decided before the start of the season but 2003/2004 still rankles).

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #946 on: February 25, 2020, 07:00:26 AM »
No offence at all but I really hate rah rah posts like that.  Well done on trying to be positive, but I'm going there intending to enjoy the day but throughly convinced we're going to lose.

I’m the same about some of the constant doom laden stuff as well. Like you I’ll enjoy the day no matter whether we win lose or draw.

There's no doubt our fans will be in great voice pre match  and as soon as the game kicks offs. Will likely be louder than Man. City who after their own long trophy drought are probably seeing this as just another game to win a trophy and even an inconvience with Real Madrid this week.

Trouble for me....will the team go out believing they can at least compete if not win? Bar a maturing Grealish the 2015 team had much more top level experience and quality in the 11 we put out compared to Sunday and the way we played was an incredible disappointment.

All the singing in the world won't matter if we go out and can't even do the basics like the league game in January e.g. tackling, marking and closing down.

Edit: I'd be more confident if we'd actually picked up a decent number of results against good teams over the season.

It's really slim pickings this season. Even in 2014-15 we won at Anfield and also at Spurs and drew 1-1 with Man. United with 10 men so showed we could raise our game and dig in to get results although we chose not to do any of that v Arsenal.

I’m going to contradict myself here, as I’ve said in various different threads throughout the season that it wasn’t just jack that got us promoted last season (to OTT criticism of dean smith).

However, in those seasons you mention, without Benteke’s goals we go down imo. My point being despite there being more experience in those sides they weren’t very good and we’re over reliant on one player doing something special to get them over the line, a bit like Jack this season granted.

If we’re to stay up this season we will also probably have to grind out a couple of results against better teams, either Chelsea, Man U or Arsenal.

As for Sunday, I’ve still got my we’re going to get thrashed head on, that will slowly start turning into blind hope and optimism in the next few days

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #947 on: February 25, 2020, 07:50:21 AM »
Can’t beat a bit of blind hope and optimism! That’s what I usually have, but it’s largely been knocked out of me this season, so far. I guess you never know. They could be flat after potentially losing to RM, we might just suddenly sniff a chance. Ref could have a mare. Who knows? Feels like straw clutching a bit though. I just hope everyone going has a top day out, as usual.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #948 on: February 25, 2020, 07:59:43 AM »
Anything can happen in cup football, when the pressures of the league are off teams, otherwise we would never have giantkillings. UTV and FTF!

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #949 on: February 25, 2020, 08:52:36 AM »
Three weeks before the game and I think we haven't got a chance, regardless of what tactics we go for.

Next Sunday, I'll think that we could contain them if we play well but they'll have to have a rank off day.

The Sunday after, I may believe that we could sneak it.  Maybe penalties?

The morning over the game, we'll win 2-0 no worries and Man City needed bother turning up!

I'm getting very close to feeling the latter here! Man City should be getting a bit worried I think!

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #950 on: February 25, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »
As worried as I am?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #951 on: February 25, 2020, 09:56:05 AM »
Containing, maintaining and hoping for a lucky chance will not work. For us to win some disturbance is required to change the equilibrium of the match from superior v inadequate to a rough rowdy fight which reduces them to an ineffective unit not able to deploy their normal methodical approach.   So basically kick the fuckers off the park.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:15:56 AM by olaftab »

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #952 on: February 25, 2020, 10:07:22 AM »
Those odds are on us to win in ninety minutes. We are only around 10/1 to lift the trophy. Not that I'll be rushing out to put my life savings on it.

Yep. We're not even expected to score.

I'll be hoping for a Real Madrid win, just to get them thinking about that.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #953 on: February 25, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »
Narrow Real Madrid win or draw is best. If Real win 5-0, Man City will be more focused on domestic honours as they'll know the Champions League has likely gone.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #954 on: February 25, 2020, 10:20:23 AM »
i'm also trying to dampen expectations with my two lads

its just about having a good day out i tell them,
i don't think i've ever been to a match with as much foreboding before

i think adds's 99 out of a hundred is spot on we are just hoping we get the 1% game on Sunday

the thing that will piss me off the most is we will probably lose and we will leave the stadium with all the city fans as they wont be that arsed about winning it to stay and see them raise the cup

if it is the 1% day we will celebrate long into the night/week

i'm going for a 4 nill defeat in a game similar to the FA cup final but hoping for a miracle

( my daughter is a lucky charm for Villa she has only seen us lose once, Liverpool, but cant go as i was only allowed 3 tickets so if someone has a spare on the top section and want to see the Villa win through magic and voodoo that her presence brings pm me, you know it makes sense)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #955 on: February 25, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »
Narrow Real Madrid win or draw is best. If Real win 5-0, Man City will be more focused on domestic honours as they'll know the Champions League has likely gone.

Agree.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #956 on: February 25, 2020, 10:49:24 AM »
i'm also trying to dampen expectations with my two lads

its just about having a good day out i tell them,
i don't think i've ever been to a match with as much foreboding before

i think adds's 99 out of a hundred is spot on we are just hoping we get the 1% game on Sunday

the thing that will piss me off the most is we will probably lose and we will leave the stadium with all the city fans as they wont be that arsed about winning it to stay and see them raise the cup

if it is the 1% day we will celebrate long into the night/week

i'm going for a 4 nill defeat in a game similar to the FA cup final but hoping for a miracle

( my daughter is a lucky charm for Villa she has only seen us lose once, Liverpool, but cant go as i was only allowed 3 tickets so if someone has a spare on the top section and want to see the Villa win through magic and voodoo that her presence brings pm me, you know it makes sense)

Can someone help this man and his daughter out please?!

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #957 on: February 25, 2020, 12:00:16 PM »

Agree.

With a few injuries added in to er.. all their team

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #958 on: February 25, 2020, 12:36:39 PM »
22/1 in a two horse race for us to win in 90 mins !!
Its got to be worth a couple of quid, surely ? 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #959 on: February 25, 2020, 12:37:44 PM »
Who is that with? I don't gamble, but crikey, it's worth a tenner.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal