collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Women - Eni Aluko  (Read 35435 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Aston Villa Women - Eni Aluko
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »
I know 2 people who are furloughed but still working so are effectively, doubling their income. In the same way I know a couple of people who claim benefits but work cash in hand. Neither are anything more than a minority and government policy shouldn't be designed around these cases. That said I don't think they're the people she was referring to. I think she was talking about people who are happy to take the money and sit at home doing fuck all for as long as it takes. The problem is I don't they're a majority either. I know a lot more people who were furloughed and thought it was great for a few weeks so they could do the garden, do a bit of decorating, etc but are now bored senseless and want to get back to normal with going to work being part of that.

There's absolutely nothing to stop someone who is furloughed from one job (say bar or restaurant worker) going to do another job (say being a care worker) and getting paid to do both. Good luck to them if they are.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2020, 04:22:24 PM »
There is a deeply unattractive characteristic in a lot of people in this country that manifests in a sense that we're only happy to help people if the recipient is truly miserable about receiving that help.

Edit: a case in point - medical marijuana. I remember watching a tedious round of debates whereby people were postulating that it would only be acceptable if some way could be found to remove the element that gets people high. Fuck's sake.

Race to the bottom - "my life might be siht but I'm ok so long as people I think are less deserving than me are worse". That's pretty much the mantra of the vast majority of working class tories.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2020, 04:35:20 PM »
I thought her gripe wasn't furloughing itself, rather "a culture of do nothing entitlement".

Which is pretty Daily Mail.

100% correct. She even said she thought furloughing was a good idea.

It was lazy, stupid thinking, blurted out on Twitter.

If she was just someone random posting this then she'd be lost in the crowd. In reality, she's a senior director at the Villa and needs to behave like one. Could you imagine Smith or Purslow coming out with this sort of thing? Of course not, they've got more sense.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2020, 04:40:47 PM »
I thought her gripe wasn't furloughing itself, rather "a culture of do nothing entitlement".

If she was just someone random posting this then she'd be lost in the crowd. In reality, she's a senior director at the Villa and needs to behave like one. Could you imagine Smith or Purslow coming out with this sort of thing? Of course not, they've got more sense.

More sense not to say it out loud, or more sense not to think it in the first place?

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2020, 04:46:28 PM »
Well if they thought it and never said it out loud, we wouldn't know so wouldn't care.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »
Perhaps someone who thinks and believes something bad but says nothing is doubly damned.  As Edmund Burke said evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »

More sense not to say it out loud, or more sense not to think it in the first place?

Both. We've all got opinions, and there's bound to be someone out there who disagrees with some of them.

But it shouldn't be that hard to work out which opinions are likely to be controversial and that if you're high profile you probably oughtn't publish them on Twitter.

Her stupidity brings our club into disrepute.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2020, 06:03:38 PM »
But when voicing it, I'm sure she would have been of the opinion that what she said would be well received. She's not Katie Hopkins, it's not like she'd overtly courted controversy before, and I don't think she did this time.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2020, 06:09:13 PM »
I believe the reverse of that.  She promotes views not because she believes in them deeply but because she craves the attention they generate.  Just like Boris Johnson.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2020, 07:49:00 PM »
But when voicing it, I'm sure she would have been of the opinion that what she said would be well received. She's not Katie Hopkins, it's not like she'd overtly courted controversy before, and I don't think she did this time.

If she genuinely thought that wasn't a controversial thing to say, it confirms she's too stupid to be a senior director at the Villa.

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2020, 09:17:25 PM »
I believe the reverse of that.  She promotes views not because she believes in them deeply but because she craves the attention they generate.  Just like Boris Johnson.
I thought this when she was having an argument with Martin O'Neill when they were working for the BBC during the 2018 World Cup. It seemed she was trying to take on the person she perceived to have the biggest intellect in order to prove herself superior when there was no real need to.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2020, 09:20:46 PM »
I thought this when she was having an argument with Martin O'Neill when they were working for the BBC during the 2018 World Cup. It seemed she was trying to take on the person she perceived to have the biggest intellect in order to prove herself superior when there was no real need to.

[2009] He hasn't even got a law degree. [/2009]

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2020, 09:25:54 PM »

I thought that at the time because she has and I couldn't see what she was trying to prove.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2020, 09:33:09 PM »

I thought that at the time because she has and I couldn't see what she was trying to prove.

Ah, I forgot she was a barrister!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2020, 11:44:54 PM »
She's a solicitor. 2015 call.

She's a Magic Circle fuck. I was on the LPC with a lad who had a training contract at Slaughter & May. Fantastic money, but a pound of flesh taken and a life swallowed.

You've got to really want to be a lawyer to work there and places like that. And only cranks actually want to do this shite.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal