collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brighton vs Aston Villa pre match thread - Jan 18th - 3pm  (Read 12214 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Brighton vs Aston Villa pre match thread - Jan 18th - 3pm
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 01:26:10 PM »
3-1 to them, Maupay to get at least 1 of them.

Cue Smith mentioning not having any 1st choice strikers in his post match comments as a thinly veiled dig at Suso.  Tis in the stars.

Ouch. It actually hurts to think how likely this is.

I'm not optimistic at all either. But I'm going to say 1-1 because the more likely outcome is just too worrying to countenance rn.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
1-2

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 02:55:31 PM »
Mooy missed the last game injured but don't know if he's out for our game. He was playing well at VP until he got sent off, the sort of player we always just stand off and let them dictate the play.

Via their OS.
Graham Potter confirmed that Aaron Mooy is back in training and available for selection on Saturday after missing last weekend's game with Everton.

Offline postal

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 02:59:43 PM »
I'm going for a nervy 1 - 0 to us.

I hope that the ManCity game has given them a siege / backs to the wall mentality.

Offline Goldie.7

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2020, 03:39:01 PM »
Brighton are a good team who play some good stuff but are only one win in front of us so they’ve not been that great this season

we must go to win this
it’s not Man City or one of the teams we never beat it’s Brighton
we really must be picking up points if we are going to give ourselves a chance of avoiding the drop

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2020, 03:47:42 PM »
Brighton are a good team who play some good stuff but are only one win in front of us so they’ve not been that great this season

we must go to win this
it’s not Man City or one of the teams we never beat it’s Brighton
we really must be picking up points if we are going to give ourselves a chance of avoiding the drop

I agree john, we must be picking up points here. I think Brighton have been unlucky a few times though. Against us for instance I thought they were decent, in the league game at least, despite being down to 10 men they passed it well and caused some trouble for us whilst being hard to break down. We were lucky with the stoppage time winner which was Jack's genius again to unlock their defence for Targett.

Think they'll be even tougher away from home. Dean needs to get the tactics right this time.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2020, 04:31:38 PM »
Reina

Hause
Mings
Konsa

Targett
Drinkwater
Douglas
Guilbert

Grealish
Trezuguet

El Ghazi

I think genuine width from the wing backs will help us dramatically. There also must be a reaction in the way we close space off the ball.

Mooy likely out for them.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2020, 04:42:27 PM »
Oh dear! A midfield with Luiz and Drinkwater and El Ghazi up front has shattered my hopes of at least a point.
If Drinkwater is to play dcm he needs to move off the 1 blade of grass. Nakamba over Luiz any day of the week. Going there without a recognised striker is shambolic planning.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »
Reina

Hause
Mings
Konsa

Targett
Drinkwater
Douglas
Guilbert

Grealish
Trezuguet

El Ghazi

I think genuine width from the wing backs will help us dramatically. There also must be a reaction in the way we close space off the ball.

Mooy likely out for them.

Ah hem ………. or should that read "Anyway"? ;)

"The injury news Brighton and Hove Albion fans desperately wanted to hear ahead of Aston Villa

Brighton and Hove Albion received a huge boost ahead of their crunch Premier League clash with Aston Villa at the Amex this Saturday.

By The Newsroom

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 2:36 pm

Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Graham Potter received an injury ahead of this Saturday's match against Aston Villa

Midfielder Aaron Mooy is fit and available for selection having missed last Saturday's 1-0 loss at Everton with a groin injury."

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:27:38 PM by villa `cross the mersey »

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2020, 05:00:25 PM »
It doesn't matter how solid we can make our team, we have no striker and therefore no goal threat or option to keep the ball up top.
Every game that goes by with no striker in the team will be the same.
Total mismanagement at every level leaving one striker, plus one crock and a player who they obviously were never going to play equals certain relegation.
This is another defeat I'm afraid.
Unless miracles happen.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2020, 05:47:32 PM »
Is Kodjia still "poorly"? Cough, cough.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2020, 07:07:44 PM »
Is Kodjia still "poorly"? Cough, cough.

Brighton have lost 3 at home this season, all by the odd goal or 2, no ones mullered them so won’t be easy. I’d love a win, would take a draw, hoping that it won’t be a defeat. Think he’ll have to play drinkwater in an effort to get him match fit, think Luiz is a better player than Nakamba but if he plays trez, ghazi, grealish as a 3, Nakamba may come in as more defence minded.

Don’t need to be a brain surgeon to say this but doubt we’ll see kodja again in a villa shirt

Offline Luke8

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2020, 07:37:28 PM »
Reina

Hause
Mings
Konsa

Targett
Drinkwater
Douglas
Guilbert

Grealish
Trezuguet

El Ghazi

I reckon this it the team I would go with as well.

Really hope that both Guilbert and Targett start as you would think it would make the 3-4-3 work a lot better. Same with Trezeguet and giving us a bit more pace and an extra out ball. Should also help us press better from the front, which we struggled with a bit in the last two games.

Central midfield is still a bit of an issue obviously. I imagine Drinkwater will start again. I think I would go Luiz in there as well but could see the logic of Nakamba for a bit more solidity behind that front three (just he shame he is lacking technically).

I think Dean will look at the defence as two good games out of three, even with last weeks shambles, so imagine it will stay the same. Although I think you could make a case for Chester starting for an extra bit of experience/organisation. For more or less the same reason I reckon Reina will start too (he may also just be better than Nyland but I honestly haven’t seen him play in so long I don’t know).

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2020, 08:24:56 PM »
No chance of winning this. They are tight at the back, we concede every game, we don't have a striker. Can see a 2-0 defeat.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal