collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pepe Reina: Signs for Lazio  (Read 44570 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Pepe Reina
« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2020, 04:59:51 PM »
He still has an air about him, and irrespective of whichever wears the number one shirt I think him and Heaton as a goalkeeping pair will be better for getting the best out of each other than any other pairing of goalkeepers we can stick together at Bodymoor.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2020, 05:02:02 PM »
He still has an air about him, and irrespective of whichever wears the number one shirt I think him and Heaton as a goalkeeping pair will be better for getting the best out of each other than any other pairing of goalkeepers we can stick together at Bodymoor.
I agree.  I was all for giving Nyland a chance to properly establish himself.  Unfortunately I think I was wrong and Reina seems a sensible solution to me.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2020, 05:07:44 PM »
Even when he plays well, Nyland seems to be in a permanent state of panic.  I think one of the key relationships is the keeper and the defence, and you need a cocky, confident bastard between the sticks, especially with a big character like Mings in the defence.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »
Nyland is a keeper who'll produce excellent saves at the top end of some not so great league/division, but who'll make too many errors if put under pressure at the bottom end of a high quality league.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2020, 06:51:31 PM »
Are coaching staff wages counted towards FFP costs or are they considered infrastructure/investment?  Could you get away with paying Reina £30k as a part-time player and £30k as a part-time coach?  Therefore 50% of his wages are don’t go against the books?

Not saying we should do this, with those figure, but in principle?

I think Saracens did the same with one of their scrum halves and... well yeah that didn’t end too well.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #350 on: August 03, 2020, 07:27:59 PM »
If a player is registered to play, then I imagine the costs associated with his employment have to be included in the calculations for FFP.

Plus - as I understand it - FFP is about football related expenditure (and income) so I would assume the cost of the coaching staff, plus kit and equipment is included. So being a part-time coach would not 'hide' the cost of a player or a part of it.

I don't know this it would just seem bonkers to not be the case even for professional football.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2020, 07:52:44 PM »
I think it would be a poor signing tbh. He's dropped a few clangers, we'd be cursing him if we'd gone down because of them. For the West Ham goal he stood still for about 3 seconds while the ball looped up and over him. It should have been a comfortable tip over.  Not sure which game it was (Arsenal?) where the ball hit the post, he completely missed catching it, bounced off his knee and by pure luck hit his other leg.

As it turns out they didn't cost us, but could've been massive. I agree he talks to the defence well and looks a laugh, but there must be better out there. Did someone say Etheridge was out of contract?  I don't post much so feel free to file under utter waffle.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #352 on: August 03, 2020, 08:06:17 PM »
A 2 year contract sends out quite a different message to a 1 year one. First, it's a good sign for Pepe who'll be able to see that we see him as more than just a short term fix. I get the impression he's a strong character in the dressing room, and we're better off for having him there.

It also suggests to be that (at least) 2 from Kalinic, Nyland, and Steer have no long term future at the club, and if any of those remain it'll be as a third choice keeper.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #353 on: August 03, 2020, 09:35:12 PM »
Well, I think we can write Kalinic off. I would rather keep Steer than Nyland.

Offline frank black

« Reply #354 on: August 03, 2020, 09:40:15 PM »
I think it would be a poor signing tbh. He's dropped a few clangers, we'd be cursing him if we'd gone down because of them. For the West Ham goal he stood still for about 3 seconds while the ball looped up and over him. It should have been a comfortable tip over.  Not sure which game it was (Arsenal?) where the ball hit the post, he completely missed catching it, bounced off his knee and by pure luck hit his other leg.

As it turns out they didn't cost us, but could've been massive. I agree he talks to the defence well and looks a laugh, but there must be better out there. Did someone say Etheridge was out of contract?  I don't post much so feel free to file under utter waffle.

Absolutely agree.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #355 on: August 03, 2020, 09:45:41 PM »
Joe Hart is out of contract...

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #356 on: August 03, 2020, 09:48:25 PM »
Joe Hart is out of contract...

Head and shoulders better than a lot we could sign.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #357 on: August 03, 2020, 09:49:26 PM »
He'll want to be first choice somewhere though.

Offline colin69

« Reply #358 on: August 03, 2020, 10:03:47 PM »
Would be happy to give him a year but no more. Decent to have in the dressing room for a sing song though.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #359 on: August 04, 2020, 07:49:38 AM »
I think he's past it at the top level .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal