collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pepe Reina: Signs for Lazio  (Read 44026 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Pepe Reina
« Reply #315 on: July 28, 2020, 09:26:46 AM »
I love that clip with him in the changing rooms, he’s loving it. Great to see a player of his experience soaking it up and enjoying being here. He’s had a few wobbles but in general he’s probably been a massive influence behind the scenes and has helped steady us in recent weeks.

That goal against West Ham was a freak.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #316 on: July 28, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »
I'd have no problem with giving him another year.  He seems to be a pretty integral part of the team and clearly 'gets' the club.

Offline frank black

« Reply #317 on: August 03, 2020, 10:55:16 AM »
Rumour we’ve offered him 2 years.....I would’ve been ok with another year, but 2?? seems we never learn.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #318 on: August 03, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
Heaton might not be playing till October/November so I would be happy with another year.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #319 on: August 03, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »
I love that clip with him in the changing rooms, he’s loving it. Great to see a player of his experience soaking it up and enjoying being here. He’s had a few wobbles but in general he’s probably been a massive influence behind the scenes and has helped steady us in recent weeks.

That goal against West Ham was a freak.

I wouldn't be against giving him another year, but the West Ham goal wasn't the first time he was too slow in getting back to his line.  I do like his leadership skills, as it means he can bollock the defence instead of Mings doing it all the time.  For the first time really since we were up, a back five of Reina, Guilbert/Elmo, Konsa, Mings, Targett looked fairly stable and didn't give me heart failure every time the other team had the ball.  The way they nullified Arsenal in particular was very impressive.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #320 on: August 03, 2020, 11:06:48 AM »
Rumour we’ve offered him 2 years.....I would’ve been ok with another year, but 2?? seems we never learn.

Could be one year with an option for a second?
Either way 2 years is fine. He's a GK.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #321 on: August 03, 2020, 11:06:54 AM »

Whenever that phrase "we never learn" is wheeled out it's always about either something we've not done before, or in response to a rumour that invariably proves to be false. 

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #322 on: August 03, 2020, 11:12:05 AM »
If it was a 5-year contract for a 40-year old, I think you could say we never learn.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #323 on: August 03, 2020, 11:37:32 AM »
I'm against any contract offer. It's expensive (taking funds away fronm our other priorities in this transfer window), reduces the options for giving playing-time to our other keepers and reduces the price for any we are looking to sell. Even if we are selling Kalinic we have Steer and Nyland to use who I'd prefer in pre-season and the first few games to using Reina. That's if Heaton is not back to full fitness, which he may be.

It's a 'No; thanks for what you did last season.' from me.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #324 on: August 03, 2020, 11:42:17 AM »
If it was a 5-year contract for a 40-year old, I think you could say we never learn.

A five year deal for a 35 year old for Shay Given wasn't great.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #325 on: August 03, 2020, 11:46:24 AM »
I'm against any contract offer. It's expensive (taking funds away fronm our other priorities in this transfer window), reduces the options for giving playing-time to our other keepers and reduces the price for any we are looking to sell. Even if we are selling Kalinic we have Steer and Nyland to use who I'd prefer in pre-season and the first few games to using Reina. That's if Heaton is not back to full fitness, which he may be.

For me Steer and Nyland are 3rd choice keepers, I wouldn't trust Steer to stay fit long enough to be more and Nyland has shown he has too many mistakes in him. Reina in for a year as competition for Heaton is fine by me and then I'd spend the year looking for a long term number 1 to sign next summer, at that point we can go almost 'no expense spared' in our search, which we can't do this year with 4/5 keepers on the books.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #326 on: August 03, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »

For me Steer and Nyland are 3rd choice keepers

Not for me; Steer should be given more of a chance because he performed really well last time he was given a run. Smith or someone else appears to not like him but he's proven to be capable and is in his prime, looking for playing time. I agree tho' that Nyland does not inspire confidence.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #327 on: August 03, 2020, 12:05:50 PM »

I don’t believe there is a fee involved.  I think Milan are willing to release him early due to his wages.  At least that is what I read.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #328 on: August 03, 2020, 12:34:42 PM »

For me Steer and Nyland are 3rd choice keepers

Not for me; Steer should be given more of a chance because he performed really well last time he was given a run. Smith or someone else appears to not like him but he's proven to be capable and is in his prime, looking for playing time. I agree tho' that Nyland does not inspire confidence.

You cut that quote badly because I said my issue with Steer is a fitness one not an ability one, I just don't have the confidence in him being able to play for a long stint of games.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #329 on: August 03, 2020, 12:36:04 PM »
Reina for all his organisational qualities looks slow, poor with the ball at his feet and seems to have that knack of having balls loop over him. It's a big no from me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal