collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Aston Villa Manager  (Read 55294 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Next Aston Villa Manager
« Reply #525 on: January 15, 2020, 01:47:44 AM »
how is this expected goals worked out? I assume our expected goals was wank with Emile Wesley up front

Basically it is decent changes, “expected to score”; its considered to be a better barometer of performance than say shots on target because 50% of them could pot shots from miles out.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #526 on: January 15, 2020, 05:03:05 PM »
I have always rated Pearson as a manager right back to his short spell at Albion. He was also BFR's captain when Sheffield Wednesday did the promotion and cup double. I do however agree with the people on here who have pointed out that despite him doing well at Watford so far he is no miracle worker and Watford were under performing in the first place and always likely to pick up some form with the players they have.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #527 on: January 15, 2020, 05:34:53 PM »
Pearson is good at bringing discipline and organisation to a side. He expects/demands 100% effort from his players. It's why I thought he'd have been ideal for us when we went down. Boy did we have some players that needed a kick up the backside.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #528 on: January 15, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »
Pearson will fall away again. Go in, organise, bully a few, get found out for bullying a few, lose half the squad, go on downward spiral. Was shit at Derby, only saved Leicester with an incredible end of season run, and generally struts about like an arrogant prick. Not for me.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #529 on: January 15, 2020, 10:08:34 PM »
I have to admit that whilst having a fairly decent knowledge of Pearson's career in general his spells at Southampton and Derby totally passed me by.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #530 on: January 15, 2020, 10:25:39 PM »
Pearson is the sort of manager to pisses a squad off so much that they massively over-achieve for the next manager just to spite him.

Offline mike

« Reply #531 on: January 15, 2020, 10:38:55 PM »
Pity the board didn't act earlier and got Pearson in. He's turned Watford's season around in 5 or so games - 4 wins and a draw.

Not only are they winning, they are winning comfortably, beating some good sides and playing really well. It isn’t kick and rush route one stuff either. Amazing how a team can be galvanised by a change of manager

This Watford team finished 11th last season. They are a good team so shouldn't be too much of a surprise they've turned it round

Also, I’m not sure how much of a relevant example it is to use any more than saying we should definitely stick with Smith because Southampton backed their manager and he turned their precarious position around.

Key difference there - Hasenhuttl didn't leave them in the position of having no strikers at this point of the season. Southampton have forwards to beat the band, it's why they've been a bit of alright lately.

Smith has diddly fucking squat. Changing manager doesn't fix that, of course. But it's still as much his fault as anyone's.

Southampton have three out and out senior strikers - Long, Ings and Adams, the same as us and one kid who is their fourth choice. The difference being that none of theirs got injured, and all of ours did. That's nothing to do with either manager.

Who's our 3rd senior striker meant to be? The bloke with 3 career goals?

We put every goalscoring egg in to the Wesley basket, the two other options were options in the same way that playing with 10 men is an option.

Davis. As well you know. Not getting into your last point. A Southampton fan may argue the same about Che Adams and his 0 goals for them.

My point was simply that the view that the difference between the two was that Southampton manager didn't leave his squad without strikers whereas Smith did isn't true. They both chanced it with three strikers. Ours all got injured. Theirs didn't.

Except we pretty much knew, and so should Dean, that Kodjia was not up to it and Keinan was as as big a gamble as Wesley. Even if Kodjia and Davis were fit I wouldn't be feeling particularly confident about either of them. We started with no proven striker and, by definition, no back up if the best of the unproven strikers got injured. That's no more defensible than Bruce failing to sign a centre half and using Jedinak there instead.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #532 on: January 16, 2020, 07:36:13 AM »
Not quite playing kodjia would have been better than not playing him. Even out of position last season he still chipped in with nine or ten goals.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #533 on: January 16, 2020, 10:26:01 AM »
Pity the board didn't act earlier and got Pearson in. He's turned Watford's season around in 5 or so games - 4 wins and a draw.

Not only are they winning, they are winning comfortably, beating some good sides and playing really well. It isn’t kick and rush route one stuff either. Amazing how a team can be galvanised by a change of manager

This Watford team finished 11th last season. They are a good team so shouldn't be too much of a surprise they've turned it round

Also, I’m not sure how much of a relevant example it is to use any more than saying we should definitely stick with Smith because Southampton backed their manager and he turned their precarious position around.

Key difference there - Hasenhuttl didn't leave them in the position of having no strikers at this point of the season. Southampton have forwards to beat the band, it's why they've been a bit of alright lately.

Smith has diddly fucking squat. Changing manager doesn't fix that, of course. But it's still as much his fault as anyone's.

Southampton have three out and out senior strikers - Long, Ings and Adams, the same as us and one kid who is their fourth choice. The difference being that none of theirs got injured, and all of ours did. That's nothing to do with either manager.

I am not that convinced by those three Southampton strikers. Adams is unproven in the Premier League, Ings is injury prone and whilst I rate Long as a player he isn't exactly a prolific scorer.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #534 on: January 17, 2020, 12:04:48 AM »
I have always rated Pearson as a manager right back to his short spell at Albion. He was also BFR's captain when Sheffield Wednesday did the promotion and cup double. I do however agree with the people on here who have pointed out that despite him doing well at Watford so far he is no miracle worker and Watford were under performing in the first place and always likely to pick up some form with the players they have.

He's been involved in at least two miracles (as manager) that I'm aware of - that run where Leicester avoided relegation, and was also manager of Carlisle for that famous "Jimmy Glass" game.

By those standards, keeping Watford up is probably less of a miracle, but it's still undeniably impressive how quickly he's turned them around.

Maybe they'll go to shit later on, or next season, but he's turned them around for now.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #535 on: January 17, 2020, 12:13:43 AM »
Before we brought Reina in we were looking for a keeper and a goalscorer. We could have killed two birds with one stone and just brought in Jimmy Glass.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal