collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Aston Villa Manager  (Read 55962 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Next Aston Villa Manager
« Reply #360 on: December 29, 2019, 10:50:56 PM »
That's what I don't get in the argument that if we go down it's okay because we have a long term plan. Immediately we lose our best player in many years in Grealish then McGinn will be away followed by Mings how long do you think it would take us to recover from that?
If we go down we will be down for a good while possibly years unless anyone has a better plan than avoiding the drop I've yet to hear it.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #361 on: December 29, 2019, 10:55:11 PM »
I cannot believe you lot are onto this thread.

I'd rather go down with Smith than sack him, to be honest - and I'm confident the club share that mentality.

If you've paid attention to any of Purslow's interviews, you'd know that we've begun a long-term project, with Smith at the heart of it.

We need some key additions in January and a plan B, not another several years of managerial roundabout.

Agreed
I bought into the long term project idea because I was fed up of Aston Villa being on the bloody managerial merry go round for years on end.

Haven’t you seen that there is no plan B?

Haven’t you seen there is no reaction to events in the pitch?

Haven’t you seen our key player played out of position to the point of it frustrating him?

If you are looking forward to relegation with Smith in charge, then you are looking forward to relegation with our best midfielders in a long time leaving us.

Precisely, all of the same problems existed in the championship. This isn’t a new set of issues, they’re the same issues that were repeated week in, week out last season before he had a player who was way too good for the division come back and save him. If he had made tactical alterations or changes when we needed him to before Derby at home fair enough, but he did nothing. Just having Grealish available from then on masked all of Smiths weaknesses and he got out of jail. Smith gets a huge amount of credit when he actually didn’t really do very much. If Grealish had been out for the rest of last season, the dross that was served up from Leeds at home onwards would have carried on until the end of the season because there was no evidence of whatsoever of Smith having any idea of what to do. Basically exactly the same as what is happening now.

It’s worth giving a manager time if you’ve got the right one. Dean Smith most definitely is not the right one
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:59:24 PM by Ketzster »

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #362 on: December 29, 2019, 10:55:59 PM »

I'd rather go down with Smith than sack him, to be honest - and I'm confident the club share that mentality.

If you've paid attention to any of Purslow's interviews, you'd know that we've begun a long-term project, with Smith at the heart of it.

We need some key additions in January and a plan B, not another several years of managerial roundabout.

Agreed
I bought into the long term project idea because I was fed up of Aston Villa being on the bloody managerial merry go round for years on end.

Jack Grealish is our future. We go down, he leaves. Long term project finished.

Except nobody expected us to be promoted last season. And if we hadn't been he'd almost certainly have gone. Which means they had a plan with or without him.

Offline mike

« Reply #363 on: December 29, 2019, 10:56:42 PM »
That's what I don't get in the argument that if we go down it's okay because we have a long term plan. Immediately we lose our best player in many years in Grealish then McGinn will be away followed by Mings how long do you think it would take us to recover from that?
If we go down we will be down for a good while possibly years unless anyone has a better plan than avoiding the drop I've yet to hear it.

Exactly. Stay up and we will be a decent side next year. Go down and we lose Grealish, McGinn and Mings AKA the beating heart of Aston Villa.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #364 on: December 29, 2019, 10:57:12 PM »

Agreed

Haven’t you seen our key player played out of position to the point of it frustrating him?

If you are looking forward to relegation with Smith in charge, then you are looking forward to relegation with our best midfielders in a long time leaving us.

Precisely, all of the same problems existed in the championship. This isn’t a new set of issues, they’re the same issues that were repeated week in, week out last season before he had a player who was way too good for the division come back and save him. If he had made tactical alterations or changes when we needed him to before Derby at home fair enough, but he did nothing. Just having Grealish available from then on masked all of Smiths weaknesses and he got out of jail. Smith gets a huge amount of credit when he actually didn’t really do very much. If Grealish had been out for the rest of last season, the dross that was served up from Leeds at home onwards would have carried on until the end of the season because there was no evidence of whatsoever of Smith having any idea of what to do. Basically, exactly the same as what is happening now.

It’s worth giving a manager time if you’ve got the right one. Dean Smith most definitely is not the right one

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #365 on: December 29, 2019, 11:07:55 PM »
Does anybody think Grealish will go at the end of the season regardless of which division we’re in?

Online villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #366 on: December 29, 2019, 11:13:45 PM »

Agreed

Precisely, all of the same problems existed in the championship. This isn’t a new set of issues, they’re the same issues that were repeated week in, week out last season before he had a player who was way too good for the division come back and save him. If he had made tactical alterations or changes when we needed him to before Derby at home fair enough, but he did nothing. Just having Grealish available from then on masked all of Smiths weaknesses and he got out of jail. Smith gets a huge amount of credit when he actually didn’t really do very much. If Grealish had been out for the rest of last season, the dross that was served up from Leeds at home onwards would have carried on until the end of the season because there was no evidence of whatsoever of Smith having any idea of what to do. Basically exactly the same as what is happening now.

I thought the current owners were going to be "big hitters" with a determination to develop us into an "elite" club - ie thinking big
Dean Smith is " small time" and is presently showing he is not a Premier League Manager /Coach
He might be a great bloke and Villa fan  but is not the man to establish us back in the top league - I really can't comprehend why people will carry on supporting him if he takes us back down - we got lucky last year

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #367 on: December 29, 2019, 11:14:20 PM »
If we were to appoint a top class manager, sign some good first teamers in January and then start improving I'm sure he'd stay.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #368 on: December 29, 2019, 11:15:44 PM »
Does anybody think Grealish will go at the end of the season regardless of which division we’re in?

No. He'll go if we go down and stay if we don't.

« Reply #369 on: December 29, 2019, 11:20:31 PM »

No. He'll go if we go down and stay if we don't.
I see the Meaning Evil is determined to see him off to Manure at the earliest opportunity ..........that "paper" really is a rag

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #370 on: December 29, 2019, 11:22:09 PM »
It's a disgrace. I think my nan might be the only person in Birmingham who still buys the paper version. It's just an online "service" which operates on the basis of clicks for trolling.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #371 on: December 29, 2019, 11:27:38 PM »
I can not understand why anybody would rather us go down than Sack Smith.
It would be a disaster.

« Reply #372 on: December 29, 2019, 11:29:29 PM »
It's a disgrace. I think my nan might be the only person in Birmingham who still buys the paper version. It's just an online "service" which operates on the basis of clicks for trolling.
I believe it  is a "sister" paper of the Liverpool Echo ( Mirror Group) which is equally as poor - in paper or on -line formats.
As you rightly state it's all click bait nonsense
Having said that, despite living on Merseyside since 1995 I get my "fill" of Brum related " news" via the Meaning Evil site :(

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #373 on: December 29, 2019, 11:30:40 PM »
I can not understand why anybody would rather us go down than Sack Smith.
It would be a disaster.
Because he’s fam, innit bruv.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #374 on: December 29, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
I can understand people still fully backing DS, but i'll never understand saying keep him regardless and I certainly hope the club don't have that mentality.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal