collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by LeeS
[Today at 03:32:49 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Drummond
[Today at 03:31:50 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by LeeS
[Today at 03:32:49 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Drummond
[Today at 03:31:50 PM]

Re: FFP by Drummond
[Today at 03:30:39 PM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 03:30:06 PM]

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 03:26:32 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 03:25:24 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Aston Villa Manager  (Read 56008 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Next Aston Villa Manager
« Reply #345 on: December 29, 2019, 09:02:28 PM »
The back of the Sun football pull out today had the table after twenty games in Lamberts first year. We only two points worse off so anything is possible if we remember how that season ended. But at the moment it's hard to be too optimistic.

It does feel a bit like Lambert's first season to be honest.  I thought we were dead and buried after that run over Christmas and the two awful cup defeats that followed.  I really couldn't see a way out for us, but something clicked in the last few months of the season and we ended strongly. 

The one caveat to that though is that we had a quality striker in Benteke that season who really came into form in that second half of the season and Agbonlahor also found some form towards the end as well.  We don't have anywhere near the same quality in attack as it stands.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #346 on: December 29, 2019, 09:29:45 PM »
The back of the Sun football pull out today had the table after twenty games in Lamberts first year. We only two points worse off so anything is possible if we remember how that season ended. But at the moment it's hard to be too optimistic.

Do you not have bog roll in your house?

Don't buy The Sun, FFS.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #347 on: December 29, 2019, 09:30:50 PM »
If Smith is staying i would hope the owners have among other things, a contingency plan in place for possible relegation and all it's knock on effects, otherwise they're making a massive assumption that we won't go down.

A) they will be for sure looking at replacement options in case dean can’t turn this around this month. I would imagine some points targets in place as minimums
B) if worst case happened and we went down we would be ok mainly from the sales of Jack, McGinn and Mings. Circa £150m.
C) With option b and parachute payments we won’t even be close to ffp issues

No championship club would get £150m in transfer fees for 3 players.

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #348 on: December 29, 2019, 09:33:19 PM »
What we don't have currently is a quick outball , I watched the City / Shef United game and twice Shef United opened City up with a pass through the defence that was barely offside and a ball over the top for Moussett to run onto.

Thats what we always had with Gabby , right now we have no one playing off the shoulder of the defenders running at the goal.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #349 on: December 29, 2019, 09:40:54 PM »
We have absolutely nooooo pace in the side and Jesus we could do with somebody that could give us that option.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #350 on: December 29, 2019, 09:53:54 PM »
I cannot believe you lot are onto this thread.

I'd rather go down with Smith than sack him, to be honest - and I'm confident the club share that mentality.

If you've paid attention to any of Purslow's interviews, you'd know that we've begun a long-term project, with Smith at the heart of it.

We need some key additions in January and a plan B, not another several years of managerial roundabout.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #351 on: December 29, 2019, 09:57:39 PM »
Well said.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #352 on: December 29, 2019, 10:24:33 PM »
Well Moyes has gone to West Ham....

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #353 on: December 29, 2019, 10:29:21 PM »
Let's wait and see who they bring in and whether this allows Dean to be a bit more expansive with his formations.  I do think that he gets more slack because he's a Villa fan though.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #354 on: December 29, 2019, 10:33:25 PM »

I'd rather go down with Smith than sack him, to be honest - and I'm confident the club share that mentality.

If you've paid attention to any of Purslow's interviews, you'd know that we've begun a long-term project, with Smith at the heart of it.

We need some key additions in January and a plan B, not another several years of managerial roundabout.

Agreed
I bought into the long term project idea because I was fed up of Aston Villa being on the bloody managerial merry go round for years on end.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2019, 10:34:42 PM »

No chance. Why risk going down to the Ch-ship and being stuck there again for God knows how long, lose out so much financially just to stand  by Smith. They will do what it takes to stay in Prem, as someone else has said they are very good businessmen.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #356 on: December 29, 2019, 10:36:53 PM »

Agreed
I bought into the long term project idea because I was fed up of Aston Villa being on the bloody managerial merry go round for years on end.

Jack Grealish is our future. We go down, he leaves. Long term project finished.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #357 on: December 29, 2019, 10:37:47 PM »
Would you rather stay up with someone else or go down with Smith?

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2019, 10:40:31 PM »
If his team selection had any logic to it I could agree but what he put out last game was pathetic, we had lost before the ball was kicked.

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #359 on: December 29, 2019, 10:41:09 PM »

Agreed

Haven’t you seen that there is no plan B?

Haven’t you seen there is no reaction to events in the pitch?

Haven’t you seen our key player played out of position to the point of it frustrating him?

If you are looking forward to relegation with Smith in charge, then you are looking forward to relegation with our best midfielders in a long time leaving us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal