collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by tomd2103
[Today at 01:05:30 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by paul_e
[Today at 01:05:03 PM]

Champions League Contention by ChicagoLion
[Today at 01:04:39 PM]

Official Website by martin o`who??
[Today at 01:00:39 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by SoccerHQ
[Today at 12:58:34 PM]

VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:48:11 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:43:48 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:34:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Aston Villa Manager  (Read 55980 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Next Aston Villa Manager
« Reply #300 on: December 29, 2019, 01:02:37 PM »
Moyes to be announced West Ham manager tomorrow.
Thank fuck for that, can someone now super glue Allardices  and Puliss locks and jam their mobile signals.

😁

Offline Damo70

« Reply #301 on: December 29, 2019, 02:21:19 PM »
Not advocating Allardyce but I do like the players to a bit scared of the manager.

I honestly believe that the PL has outgrown the likes of Allerdyce.

Looking at realistic options to potentially replace Smith, I see it as just as much of a gamble to twist rather than stick.  Every game we lose hereafter though is another nail in his coffin.  Currently I'm just about onside but Burnley may tilt it for me.  I see no reason to believe that we're going to be any different there.

In a worst case scenario, should we go down, we will have the parachute payments plus money from Grealish, Mings and probably SJM.  We did get promoted too soon but it will enable us to rebuild properly.

Jack looked pissed off and frustrated yesterday.  I think it may be a battle to keep hold of him in the Summer regardless of where we're playing. 

On a tangent, I wonder who is responsible for all of these signings?  Certainly, the system at Brentford is working a lot better than what we've seen so from last summer.  3 Brentford managers on the trot are getting tunes out of bargain basement players.  Smith thrived on it yet is struggling with the budget he had in the summer.  Signing 2 mediocre players from one club stinks as well.

Allardyce was ahead of his time with his American based sports science techniques at Bolton and I don't think there is anything to suggest he isn't as up with the times as any manager or coach in the Premier League. He just gets pidgeon holed as an old fashioned manager. As he once said himself if he was called Sam Allardichio and was from Italy instead of Dudley people would have a different view of him.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #302 on: December 29, 2019, 02:30:32 PM »
Not advocating Allardyce but I do like the players to a bit scared of the manager.

Looking at realistic options to potentially replace Smith, I see it as just as much of a gamble to twist rather than stick.  Every game we lose hereafter though is another nail in his coffin.  Currently I'm just about onside but Burnley may tilt it for me.  I see no reason to believe that we're going to be any different there.

In a worst case scenario, should we go down, we will have the parachute payments plus money from Grealish, Mings and probably SJM.  We did get promoted too soon but it will enable us to rebuild properly.

Jack looked pissed off and frustrated yesterday.  I think it may be a battle to keep hold of him in the Summer regardless of where we're playing. 

On a tangent, I wonder who is responsible for all of these signings?  Certainly, the system at Brentford is working a lot better than what we've seen so from last summer.  3 Brentford managers on the trot are getting tunes out of bargain basement players.  Smith thrived on it yet is struggling with the budget he had in the summer.  Signing 2 mediocre players from one club stinks as well.

Allardyce was ahead of his time with his American based sports science techniques at Bolton and I don't think there is anything to suggest he isn't as up with the times as any manager or coach in the Premier League. He just gets pidgeon holed as an old fashioned manager. As he once said himself if he was called Sam Allardichio and was from Italy instead of Dudley people would have a different view of him.
My thoughts entirely on Big Sam. Back in the pre-Smith appointment I'd said Allardyce as a short term appointment with the intention of moving him to director of football would be an inspired move. I think he's exactly the sort of person you'd want to modernise a coaching set up

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #303 on: December 29, 2019, 02:31:22 PM »
Yes I would think he was a fat bloke with a strange accent for an Italian.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #304 on: December 29, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
Irrespective where he is from he is still an arrogant wankers who was caught with his hand in the till.

That sort of stench stays with you, hence no job offers since England.

Rafa for me and tell him to bring Rondon with him

Offline Damo70

« Reply #305 on: December 29, 2019, 02:38:43 PM »
Irrespective where he is from he is still an arrogant wankers who was caught with his hand in the till.

That sort of stench stays with you, hence no job offers since England.

Rafa for me and tell him to bring Rondon with him

No job offers since England? Apart from saving both Crystal Palace and Everton from relegation and turning down the Huddersfield job? Three job offers (two of which he accepted and one he declined) in three years plus any others we might not know of.

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #306 on: December 29, 2019, 02:42:44 PM »
Recall us linked with Big Sam when last in the prem league thankfully we got in a more modern coach in Remi Garde ...

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #307 on: December 29, 2019, 02:44:06 PM »

Allerdyce is 65.  For every manager of his age that comes in and does well, there are 10 that fail (one [with a glittering track record] was sacked only last night).  Football is continually changing/advancing.  What worked 10/15 years ago will not do so today.  The 3 years that we have been out of the division have probably seen the most dramatic changes ever.

I have no idea what the answer is and would hate to be charged with making that decision but I do know that Allerdyce is not the answer.  Claiming that foreign managers succeed because of pretty sounding names is not correct either - Just as many of them fail as well.

Offline ez

« Reply #308 on: December 29, 2019, 02:52:49 PM »
Moyes to be announced West Ham manager tomorrow.

I expect they'll get a bit of new manager bounce which is bad news for us.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #309 on: December 29, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »

Allerdyce is 65.  For every manager of his age that comes in and does well, there are 10 that fail (one [with a glittering track record] was sacked only last night).  Football is continually changing/advancing.  What worked 10/15 years ago will not do so today.  The 3 years that we have been out of the division have probably seen the most dramatic changes ever.

I have no idea what the answer is and would hate to be charged with making that decision but I do know that Allerdyce is not the answer.  Claiming that foreign managers succeed because of pretty sounding names is not correct either - Just as many of them fail as well.

It doesn't matter what did or didn't work for Allardyce 10/15 years ago. I am more interested in what worked when he kept Palace and Everton up in the last three years. Both of whom looked doomed until he rocked up.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 02:55:38 PM by Damo70 »

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #310 on: December 29, 2019, 02:57:47 PM »
Is he now 'Big Sam' and not 'Fat Sam'?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #311 on: December 29, 2019, 03:05:15 PM »
Is he now 'Big Sam' and not 'Fat Sam'?
Big Fat Sam

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #312 on: December 29, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »
I get the impression that some people don’t quite get the ramifications of us getting relegated. To say that the Championship was bearable because we won a few games and tickets were easier to get makes me just as worried as what I saw yesterday.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #313 on: December 29, 2019, 03:16:03 PM »
I get the impression that some people don’t quite get the ramifications of us getting relegated. To say that the Championship was bearable because we won a few games and tickets were easier to get makes me just as worried as what I saw yesterday.

Tickets were easier to get though   😀

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #314 on: December 29, 2019, 03:16:17 PM »

It doesn't matter what did or didn't work for Allardyce 10/15 years ago. I am more interested in what worked when he kept Palace and Everton up in the last three years. Both of whom looked doomed until he rocked up.
I think it's wrong to claim that he kept Everton up as they were never in any real danger of going down.  He was also terminated early from that contract.  I'll give you Palace though. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal