collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by trinityoap
[Today at 09:49:17 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ron Saunders RIP  (Read 37113 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Ron Saunders RIP
« Reply #255 on: December 09, 2019, 09:18:26 PM »
I think BC was referring to WM.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #256 on: December 09, 2019, 09:22:17 PM »
Apologies, misread the post.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #257 on: December 09, 2019, 09:52:39 PM »
I don't see why anyone would dislike Spink. He is an all-time great who was vital to the most important win in our history.
Never heard a bad word about him.

He should have handled a couple of Rummenigge efforts more cleanly.   

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2019, 10:08:47 PM »
I’ve had a night out with Nigel and he’s definitely a surly twat!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #259 on: December 09, 2019, 10:12:44 PM »
Used to see Spinksy all the time in Walmley co-op (and Morley). Was still living down here when he was GK coach at Wigan and Sunderland.

I can understand why people dislike minutes applauses. I believe they started as a form of tribute in Scotland and idea was adopted down here.

Personally I don't mind them in celebration of someone's life like Ron. If someone young dies tragically like Jloyld or Dalian Atkinson I think a minutes silence is more fitting, think we had applause for both IIRC.

Offline Roysmert

« Reply #260 on: December 09, 2019, 10:49:43 PM »
I have this morning emailed the club at fancomplaints@avfc.co.uk to express my anger and disappointment at the Ron Saunders shambolic 'tribute', so I suggest anyone with the same opinion as me might do the same?
Maybe we'd get the club to do something properly?
I did the same.

And I did. I expect a polite piss off but it has left a very sour taste. I thought we'd gone past fucking everything up, alas not what with the cup ticket prices too.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #261 on: December 10, 2019, 12:23:53 AM »
After the shambles, just to return to the loss, thank you to those of you that have shared your thoughts and memories, the emotions.

It was a shame not to be in my usual seat quite close to where I stood on a milk crate in front of a crash barrier on the Holte as a boy, but it was noteable how being in the ground and exposed to some of that video footage put me in touch with the emotion of loss, and appreciation as many have said, of the author, instigator, provider of many of my happiest years.

As others have said, despite being told *and listening* to ‘you don’t know how lucky you are’, at that age having not gone through many barren years, you just don’t know, to have a ST as a boy for such glorious football, to be present for Highbury, Wembley for the Charity Shield, (and he’s always going to be credited for) Rotterdam & Barca in the Super Cup for me. I just checked those 4 moments in less than 1year 9 months. A blessed childhood.

So again thank you Ron for making my childhood so special, Villa fans ruled the school,  and giving me something to dine out on for decades after.
And thank you again to my dear Dad for taking me along. Again thank you.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #262 on: December 10, 2019, 09:03:11 AM »
From The Times:

Complex Ron Saunders made Aston Villa a top club again

Villa began to win trophies once more after the appointment of Saunders

It may seem strange now, but the appointment of Ron Saunders as Aston Villa manager on June 4, 1974 was met with a collective shrug by fans. Most had fallen in love with the idea of Brian Clough taking over and his public pronouncements hadn’t cooled their ardour. “Any manager in Britain would be interested in the Villa job — Villa, Liverpool and Manchester United are the top three clubs in the country,” Clough said.

But when Cloughie left Brighton & Hove Albion it was for Elland Road. Sir Alf Ramsey, newly unemployed after 11 years as England manager, was touted and although chairman Doug Ellis met him, Ramsey was not overly enthusiastic. He did, though, perform one service that should earn him the gratitude of Villa fans: he recommended Saunders. From that day in 1974, Saunders reshaped the club in his image and over almost eight years became the most successful manager in Villa history.

On Saturday, the club went into mourning after Saunders, 87, passed away.

He won the League Cup and promotion in his first season, the League Cup again in 1977 and the Championship,Villa’s first in 71 years, in 1981. He left in circumstances that remain largely unexplained in February 1982, but it was unquestionably his team that lifted the European Cup three months later.

Saunders’s stature among Villa fans is akin to Bill Shankly at Liverpool or Matt Busby at Manchester United His reputation even survived him taking over at Birmingham City soon after leaving Villa. On his arrival, Villa were a club steeped in tradition, with a devoted fanbase and one of the country’s best grounds, but most silverware had come when Queen Victoria was on the throne. Under Saunders, Villa again became one of the leading clubs in the country.

To the outside world and to the media, he was a stern figure; he did not play the PR game. Like all great managers, he could be ruthless, but he was fiercely loyal to those he felt he could depend upon. Perhaps his complex character was best summed up by Chris Nicholl, one of his former captains. “He was the best manager I ever played under,” he said. “He taught me so much about the game — but he could be a bastard.”

Fitness, organisation and a strong work ethic formed his tactical approach but his teams were not joyless. The careers of Brian Little, Gordon Cowans and Tony Morley proved that he knew flair was as important as toil. He and Ellis were often at loggerheads, but in November 1979 Ellis was forced out after a boardroom battle and Saunders was free to carry on building a team to conquer Europe.

If Ellis had won a shareholders’ vote — and it was close — the manager would have been sacked and the title and European Cup never been won. And Villa Park would not have stood in tribute yesterday to one of the club’s greatest figures.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #263 on: December 10, 2019, 11:26:36 AM »
From The Times:

It may seem strange now, but the appointment of Ron Saunders as Aston Villa manager on June 4, 1974 was met with a collective shrug by fans. Most had fallen in love with the idea of Brian Clough taking over and his public pronouncements hadn’t cooled their ardour. “Any manager in Britain would be interested in the Villa job — Villa, Liverpool and Manchester United are the top three clubs in the country,” Clough said.

But when Cloughie left Brighton & Hove Albion it was for Elland Road. Sir Alf Ramsey, newly unemployed after 11 years as England manager, was touted and although chairman Doug Ellis met him, Ramsey was not overly enthusiastic. He did, though, perform one service that should earn him the gratitude of Villa fans: he recommended Saunders. From that day in 1974, Saunders reshaped the club in his image and over almost eight years became the most successful manager in Villa history.

He won the League Cup and promotion in his first season, the League Cup again in 1977 and the Championship,Villa’s first in 71 years, in 1981. He left in circumstances that remain largely unexplained in February 1982, but it was unquestionably his team that lifted the European Cup three months later.

Saunders’s stature among Villa fans is akin to Bill Shankly at Liverpool or Matt Busby at Manchester United His reputation even survived him taking over at Birmingham City soon after leaving Villa. On his arrival, Villa were a club steeped in tradition, with a devoted fanbase and one of the country’s best grounds, but most silverware had come when Queen Victoria was on the throne. Under Saunders, Villa again became one of the leading clubs in the country.

To the outside world and to the media, he was a stern figure; he did not play the PR game. Like all great managers, he could be ruthless, but he was fiercely loyal to those he felt he could depend upon. Perhaps his complex character was best summed up by Chris Nicholl, one of his former captains. “He was the best manager I ever played under,” he said. “He taught me so much about the game — but he could be a bastard.”

Fitness, organisation and a strong work ethic formed his tactical approach but his teams were not joyless. The careers of Brian Little, Gordon Cowans and Tony Morley proved that he knew flair was as important as toil. He and Ellis were often at loggerheads, but in November 1979 Ellis was forced out after a boardroom battle and Saunders was free to carry on building a team to conquer Europe.

If Ellis had won a shareholders’ vote — and it was close — the manager would have been sacked and the title and European Cup never been won. And Villa Park would not have stood in tribute yesterday to one of the club’s greatest figures.
Great read thanks for posting. I knew about the clash of personalities between Ellis and Saunders but i didn't know that nugget. If Ellis had won the shareholders vote Saunders would have been sacked and we would never of won the title and the european cup? What a momentous occasion that vote was in our history. And what a close call. Ellis must've been seething as he waited for his chance to get back in the big chair at Villa Park so he could dismantle the team that Saunders built. Mr Aston Villa? Do me a favour. While we're at it forget renaming the North Stand and take down the Doug Ellis stand signs and rename it the Ron Saunders stand. Give Ron the last laugh. It would be far more popular
with the fans too.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #264 on: December 10, 2019, 11:46:35 AM »
Remember the Smashy'n'Nicey finale where they raced to resign before they were sacked? That would have been those two the day after the vote if Doug had won.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #265 on: December 10, 2019, 12:09:04 PM »
From The Times:

Richard Whitehead?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #266 on: December 10, 2019, 12:18:19 PM »
Yep.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #267 on: December 10, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
Cheers.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2019, 12:22:31 PM »
From The Times:

Great read thanks for posting. I knew about the clash of personalities between Ellis and Saunders but i didn't know that nugget. If Ellis had won the shareholders vote Saunders would have been sacked and we would never of won the title and the european cup? What a momentous occasion that vote was in our history. And what a close call. Ellis must've been seething as he waited for his chance to get back in the big chair at Villa Park so he could dismantle the team that Saunders built. Mr Aston Villa? Do me a favour. While we're at it forget renaming the North Stand and take down the Doug Ellis stand signs and rename it the Ron Saunders stand. Give Ron the last laugh. It would be far more popular
with the fans too.

Bang on, mate, bang on. Rename the 'Doug Ellis Stand' the 'Ron Saunders Stand'. Absolutely!

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #269 on: December 10, 2019, 12:41:37 PM »
Remember the Smashy'n'Nicey finale where they raced to resign before they were sacked? That would have been those two the day after the vote if Doug had won.

Thank McGrath Doug didn't win.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal