collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 21922 times)

Offline sid1964

Re: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2019, 09:59:10 AM »
If we don't create chances then we could have Andy Gray and Peter Withe up front and we still would not score many

Last night apart from the Grealish air kick our goal and Luiz header for me where our only real efforts.

I don't remember any other chance we created where we should have definitely scored?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2019, 10:05:32 AM »
On the bright side, the build up to our goal featured some lovely football.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
We were second best for most of the game.

Some poor defensive concentration and several players below par. I thought Heaton, Nakamba, Elmo and Luiz were all decent and Jack did well in patches.

From the away end you could see that we were defending narrowly as we often do, and Chelsea were keeping William (who was the best player on the pitch for me) and on the other flank Pulisic (I think) very wide, so they had easy wide balls as an option. We don't close these down quickly enough and both goals came from not stopping crosses. The way we defend we seem to depend on our wide midfielders / forwards to stop crosses rather than the defenders.

When we tried to play wide ourselves I thought Chelsea were very tight on us and didn't allow us space to attack them.

We stayed in the game, more due to Chelsea's profligacy than anything, but didn't really deserve a point. I think we need more pace in the team as an outlet when under pressure and we also have a soft underbelly so more physicality would help too.

Well, at least me and you watched the same game as that's exactly as I seen it from the TV.

2-1 flattered us.  We couldn't have complained if it was 4 or 5 in all honesty. 

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »
The fact we are still in games that we are either drawing or losing is the reason Kodja doesn't come on. He is too indisciplined.

I'd like to think if Davis were fit, he would at least be coming on if not challenging for a place. Smith clearly has no faith in JK.

Offline danno

« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2019, 10:24:00 AM »
Assuming it's still 36,points or above to stay up, I'm not worried in the slightest.

Not sure why I posted this here! (Face palm)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
The good news was we weren't hammered, the scoreline looks respectful, even though the performance clearly wasn't. I think our present league position is as much down to the recent below par performances of John McGinn than any other factor, when on his day he's one of the best players in the Premier league, outside of the top 4 teams in the league. The man's a match winner and I believe he will soon find his top form, when I reckon we can be looking at a mid table position and no relegation concerns.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
was that our worst performance of this season ?  I can't make my mind up between this game and the Wolves match...

anyway on to Leicester Sunday

UTV
The Doc

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »
It was painfull seeing Tammy in a Chelsea shirt tonight when we desperately need him. We were second best but with a bit of presence up front we could have nicked something.
He was always going to score against us wasn't he?  :'(
What sort of reception did he get from the Villa fans who were there?

very warm. his movement and tracking back is much missed!

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »
They were (are) better than us, and we lack options when we're playing big games so close together.
However, we did hang in there and defending well under big pressure at times. Hourihane is a passenger in these sort of games, he hasn't got the legs to get close enough to the opposition when they have the ball, and we looked better when he went off.
Thought Elmo was our best player last night, his defending of the back post was absolutely textbook, his positioning saved at least two goals and his cross for the goal was majestic.

We'll be fine though, and Chelsea were very good.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »
Disappointed with losing hopefully we can put that right on Sunday against Leicester like Pat McMahon said our away support was the best again I bloody love the Villa.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2019, 11:39:57 AM »
thought we hung in there and looked dangerous at times but the final ball was rubbish all night ( Elmo’s aside)
overhit to many times straight into the goalies arms

I still think a Grealish is wasted when he plays on the left wing he’s got more to offer in central mid

Heaton, McGinn, Grealish, Marvo were are best performers and Luiz when he came on
the rest had poorish games really

Wesley does some good things but isn’t a goal danger did he even have one chance

Conor is great when we are on top he’ll chip in with a goal/assist when we are running the game ie Norwich, Man Utd, Newcastle
when the going gets tougher he’s not the man

one last thing
Can’t make my mind up which is the most soulless passionless ground to watch football in between
Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs been to them all, three of them this season and every time I come away thinking thank fuck we are not them

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »
Their squad worth about four times ours.

Their trophy count significantly higher.

They've been in the top reaches of the league for years and won the Champions League only We've just been promoted having been in the championship and before that having circled the Premier League plughole for half a decade.

They won the league as recently as 2017 and the Europa League last season.

It's the reality, we're going to have bad days, and this is precisely the sort of team it's likely to happen against.

I was flat watching it, as it didn't look like we'd get anything from the game. However xwe hung in there and didn't get hammered (score wise).

Onwards.

Chris Wilder doesn't give a shit about any of that and goes there with a more limited team than ours and battles for a well-earned point. Aren't you a Sheff lad now, Drummond? Learn from that grit in them parts.
Also, as has been pointed out, Chelsea's goalscorers were both playing in the same division as us last season. I would have expected us to be more competitive last night.

Yes, their striker played for us and was the first player to score more than 20 in a season since Withe.
Mount has been called up for England, perhaps the goals are why he's getting picked and Grealish isn't.

Sheffield United clearly play a different type of game to ours. I do think however, that next Saturday will be a good test of how both clubs are doing. I'm hoping we royally fuck them over to be fair.

I think your expectation has been built as a result of the start we've made and how well we've done in games such as Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs. City fucked us over and now Chelsea have. But we've played most of them away now, bring it on at Villa Park.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #177 on: December 05, 2019, 12:13:17 PM »
Newly promoted side against a well stacked outfit.  We bring on Jota, they bring on Jorginho.  That said, I thought we were our own worst enemy. Terrible defending for the goals.  Mings and Konsa had a night off, timid all over the pitch, stood off in midfield.  We don't quite have enough class yet to compete with these sides.  Wesley?  I'm not sure what people are expecting when there are two players on him and no Villa player around him?  No-one else was any better, or worse than him. They won all the second balls and we looked tired and punchless.  2-1 flatters us. Poor performance and now only 1 point outside the bottom 3.
This sums it up for me. Thank you.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #178 on: December 05, 2019, 12:14:52 PM »

Agree to some extent, but I just think we would be more solid with those two in there (could even try Konsa in there and bring Engels back in).  As I said, not for every game, but I would be in favour of going that way in games like tonight.
It is a bit down the list of priorities come January, but a quality mobile, combative midfielder to go in there alongside Marvellous or Douglas could be a shrewd signing.
Indeed. Good ideas.

Offline supertom

« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2019, 12:31:39 PM »
The score probably flatters us a bit, and the fact we almost equalised near the end probably says a lot about where Chelsea as a side. To be fair to them, they are in a transition but they'll need another season or two with this group to compete for the title (barring a big window when their ban finishes).

Heaton was excellent I thought. Luiz was decent when he came on. Marvellous played well. Elmo was good, and Trezeguet is finally looking a player.

For me, this was a harsh lesson for Konsa. Playing quality attacking opposition, he got a schooling on concentration and positioning. He was ropey and nervy all game. I think this was a game for Engels, who apart from anything is a bit more aggressive and could have given Tammy more attention.
I love Mings. He has 'moments' in every game. It's easy to forget he's still relatively young, and in footbaling minutes, even more so (particularly at this level). Things he got away with at Championship, he's getting punished for now. Last night Chelsea didn't capatalise on a few of his ricks, but other sides will. Would I drop him? No chance, because he's so influential. Much like Dunne, who always had a mare moment in him (not so many as Tyrone, but he was 30 odd and clocked up a lot of games), I think we'd look worse off with him out the side. I remember when Dunne was having a poor run under Houllier wanting him out the side. We looked shitter without him.

Wesley...oh Wesley. 3-4 games aside (2 excellent games and a couple looking okay) he's just been poor. I get that he's a bit isolated and the service isn't always great, but he's not switched on. Lone striker is a difficult position but it's the predominent striker role these days. No one plays two up. Not so many play one dropped off. If you can't play that role when you're 6ft10 of muscle in 2019, then you're in the wrong game altogether. There could be a player there, but honestly, we're damaging by playing him over and over. As others have said, could Kodjia be any worse? Otherwise Dean has to re-adjust things and alter the system. If Davis was fit I think he'd be playing. In 3 weeks we've got to be ready to pull in a forward, because Wesley's going one way, and that's Balaban central.

The biggest thing for me with Wesley is that he doesn't make anything look easy. It might be confidence, or the divisional step up, but everything looks hard. Controlling a ball, heading a ball, making a 5 yard pass. I'm shocked he's a Brazilian international. Even Heskey, for all his faults could have games when he'd make the hold up play look easy. Granted you'd get no goals out of him but (under Houllier at least) he was quite effective in allowing Downing and Young opportunities to make up the goal return. It's like playing with 10 men. At this point I'd rather stick AEG or Trezeguet up as a false 9 and have them run around a bit, offer some energy, because if we're doing one thing reasonably well, it's getting our attacking mids in space in the box. Almost every cross that comes in ends up going to a midfielder, because Wesley seems to be persistently out of the 'action' spots. We need George Weah up front, not George Weah's cousin.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal