collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 21887 times)

Offline ez

Re: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2019, 09:48:20 PM »
It was painfull seeing Tammy in a Chelsea shirt tonight when we desperately need him. We were second best but with a bit of presence up front we could have nicked something.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2019, 09:51:16 PM »
They are and we’re better than us tonight. We are where we are. Just need to pick up 6 points from our next 4 games and we will be ok.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2019, 09:52:08 PM »
Newly promoted side against a well stacked outfit.  We bring on Jota, they bring on Jorginho.  That said, I thought we were our own worst enemy. Terrible defending for the goals.  Mings and Konsa had a night off, timid all over the pitch, stood off in midfield.  We don't quite have enough class yet to compete with these sides.  Wesley?  I'm not sure what people are expecting when there are two players on him and no Villa player around him?  No-one else was any better, or worse than him. They won all the second balls and we looked tired and punchless.  2-1 flatters us. Poor performance and now only 1 point outside the bottom 3.
   At last some sense about Wesley - Messi could do no more with high balls up to him with no  support and surrounded by 3 defenders. All the Wesley haters just stop making him a scapegoat..Mings and Mcginn both need dropping and is Targett really any better than Taylior?

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2019, 09:52:51 PM »
Better team won unfortunately. We weren’t disgraced and plugged on but they clearly could of scored more

We have a real conundrum in midfield hourihane set pieces but in games today bar the first ten mins his mobility was exposed. McGinn also struggles more. We looked better with Luiz in midfield and I thought marvellous did a really good job.

Luiz marvellous and McGinn Sunday for me

Heaton played very well Elmo did ok too. Mings overplays too often konza shaky but did put a lot of good blocks in.

Wesley is the clear weak link he just looks off the pace. We must get a striker in January.

Trez drifts in and out but does ok. Jota is not a prem league player

I think we have a good chance Sunday if we play the right team
I wish I shared your optimism about Sunday.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2019, 09:55:46 PM »
A tale of two halves. First half I thought we were very competitive, but second half they went up a gear and we went into reverse. That said we had a couple of good chances to equalize though we would have been arrested for daylight (nightlight) robbery.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2019, 09:57:09 PM »
Mings looks better with Engels in my opinion. Smith needs to put Bjorn back in against Leicester. Hause needs a chance as well, at least on the bench.

Thought Mings was fine tonight, Konsa next to him was at fault for two goals and couldnt handle Tammy I thought. Would be bringing Engels back in, Konsa has a lot of potential but ball watches far too much. He didnt show enough courage with the ball to step into midfield either.

Chelsea were poor early on, despite lots of possession, but we gave them far too much respect especially down our left side. After they scored, we suddenly got stuck into them. Grealish was outstanding in that spell before half time, crucial to what was a fine equaliser.

I was confident at half time but to be honest we were played off the pitch at times in the second half. Hourihane and Targett's powder puff resistance to stopping Willian or crosses coming in, didnt help. 2-1 flattered us really, Heaton made a series of fine saves. Much better cameo from Luiz when he came in,was living watching his efforts chasing back against Willian (72 min) but he was first man to react to the free kick hitting the bar. Also got a fine header on target forcing a good save.

Jota coming on, Lansbury coming on at Old Trafford, Wes struggles (and the clear lack of faith in Kodjia), sums up the lack of quality in the squad. Lack of pace in our side is a real worry too, AEG was badly missed in that regard tonight.

Tough night, we go again..

Heaton 8, Elmo 7, Konsa 5, Mings 7, Targett 5, Nakamba 6, McGinn 6, Hourihane 4, Trez 6, Wes 4, Grealish 7. Luiz 7, Jota 5

Offline villabear

« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2019, 10:04:16 PM »
Newly promoted side against a well stacked outfit.  We bring on Jota, they bring on Jorginho.  That said, I thought we were our own worst enemy. Terrible defending for the goals.  Mings and Konsa had a night off, timid all over the pitch, stood off in midfield.  We don't quite have enough class yet to compete with these sides.  Wesley?  I'm not sure what people are expecting when there are two players on him and no Villa player around him?  No-one else was any better, or worse than him. They won all the second balls and we looked tired and punchless.  2-1 flatters us. Poor performance and now only 1 point outside the bottom 3.
   At last some sense about Wesley - Messi could do no more with high balls up to him with no  support and surrounded by 3 defenders. All the Wesley haters just stop making him a scapegoat..Mings and Mcginn both need dropping and is Targett really any better than Taylior?

Don't agree on Wesley. I don’t expect him to do miracles but I do expect him to hold the ball up occasionally and take a bit of pressure of us as surely that’s why he’s there. Does he look a goal threat, no and McGinn needs dropping eh 🙄

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2019, 10:06:00 PM »

Heaton 8, Elmo 7, Konsa 5, Mings 7, Targett 5, Nakamba 6, McGinn 6, Hourihane 4, Trez 6, Wes 4, Grealish 7. Luiz 7, Jota 5

I'd say:

Heaton 8
Elmo 6
Konsa 5
Mings 5
Targett 4
Nakamba 6
Hourihane 4 (Luiz 7)
McGinn 6
Trez 6
Wesley 4
Grealish 7

Offline Loxton01

« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2019, 10:06:22 PM »
A lot of overreaction on here we were much worse against wolves we competed tonight but we have to face facts we are a newly promoted team and we finding our feet. What we must do is improve the squad in jan with a couple more players up front.

We are on track but need to keep improving.

Offline Sdwbvf

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2019, 10:07:45 PM »
I thought we were ok overall. We had a couple of dodgy moments that led to goals but soaked up s lot of pressure that could have led to more. Mings had a couple of howlers but was at least clearing it more tonight. McGinn seemed to have picked up. Grealish was fouled out of the game.

I wish Tammy was still ours (Even if he wasn't really amyway). If he was we would be top six. Good to see him after the game embracing the backroom staff and players.

I was particularly pleased with the noise from the Villa. On TV that's all you could hear for most of the game!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2019, 10:08:07 PM »

Don't agree on Wesley. I don’t expect him to do miracles but I do expect him to hold the ball up occasionally and take a bit of pressure of us as surely that’s why he’s there. Does he look a goal threat, no and McGinn needs dropping eh 🙄

Mate, seriously, if you have ever played centre forward and all you get is the ball whacked up to you, high in the air and you are on your own, I defy anyone to do any better.  Yes, I want him to push people over and compete, show more bollocks, but the way we play, does him no favours either.  He does need more physicality but he is NOT totally at fault.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2019, 10:08:22 PM »
Until he popped up with the equaliser I genuinely didn't know Trez was playing.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2019, 10:08:46 PM »
Hause deserves a chance at Left back. He was excellent there last season. He would also add height and strength at the back. He was MOTM against Wolves in the Carabao Cup.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2019, 10:08:48 PM »
Heaton 9
Elmo 6
Konsa 4
Mings 4
Targett 4
Nakamba 5.8
Hourihane 4 (Luiz 7)
McGinn 4.9478
Trez 6 (Jota 4)
Wesley 10
Grealish 6.8

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2019, 10:08:58 PM »
Until he popped up with the equaliser I genuinely didn't know Trez was playing.

He touched the ball three times before then.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal