collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manchester United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 27380 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Manchester United v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2019, 03:09:02 PM »
A well earned point and a great overall performance. Some really daft comments on here though, Mings “Elphick with dreadlocks” being the pick. Mings is an excellent player for us, an excellent leader too. His mistake apart, he was very good yesterday.

His mistakes (plural) are what I based the comment on.  Mings has played well generally but if any comment is daft it's saying he's been excellent when he's made cock ups at Arsenal, Man City, Norwich, ManYew, to name a few, which led directly or indirectly to goals conceded.   Not to mention other unforced errors like against Newcastle.  Elphick often played very well but then let himself and others down with frequent cock-ups.  So daft my arse and maybe you need to remove your Mings-ray specs.

No it’s daft. He’s been immense for us since he’s been here in every aspect. A talisman for the club. Every player We have makes errors at some point. Konsa made one near the end which could easily have resulted in a goal for a winner for them when he should have put his boot through the ball. Fortunately Martial put the ball over.  No mention of that though. Talk of him being dropped is also daft.

What he did last season is irrelevant to how he's been playing this season. Being a talisman is irrelevant to how he's playing this season.  Yes every player makes mistakes and they get pelters for them.     Clarke was prone to errors when he played for us, so was Vlaar, so was Elphick.  They could all play really well but then fuck it up with a stupid error.  And people weren't afraid to say so. Konsa is a youngster taking his first steps in the PL, he's also not an England international. He might deserve a bit of leeway for that.  I don't see why Mings should have a permanent get out of jail card or sacred cow status because he won the fans hearts and minds last season. Yes he was great last season, nowadays less so, which anyone can see if they care to admit it, and plenty of other people can based on the last few match threads and post match threads.

He got us a point yesterday. Thankfully.

And, he's an England player now on the strength of his performances so he's obviously not as ineffective as you are painting him.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »
It's a tough one.  When he gets away with it and puts in a good pass it looks great, we keep posession and sometimes start an incisive attack rather than gifting the ball back and inviting more pressure.  Rio was often critisized for making too many mistakes but that's the price you can pay if you want ball playing centre backs.

I do agree though, at certain times discretion is the better part of valour and a good hoof is needed.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »
One thing I noticed yesterday was we weren't afraid to just knock the ball out of play rather than keeping hold of it and trying to play our way out of trouble. Overall, it worked and helped us get numbers back and control their attacks.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2019, 03:35:21 PM »
One thing I noticed yesterday was we weren't afraid to just knock the ball out of play rather than keeping hold of it and trying to play our way out of trouble. Overall, it worked and helped us get numbers back and control their attacks.
I think that is a good point. Mings' error aside, I think the side took a very pragmatic approach; in a way that was not the case earlier in the season. It's a sign that they are learning ... I hope.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2019, 04:08:24 PM »
Just a comment on the kit. The quality isn’t there and I won’t be disappointed when we ditch Kappa but the design and colour of the away kit is just the dogs bollocks.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2019, 04:57:50 PM »
Just a comment on the kit. The quality isn’t there and I won’t be disappointed when we ditch Kappa but the design and colour of the away kit is just the dogs bollocks.

I hate it. JD Sports managed to send the away again after I'd ordered the home for my lad. I thought about giving it to him but it doesn't look like a kit to me, more a training wear.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2019, 05:16:06 PM »
Not the game but they have found a new way to take money off fans. If your bag is larger than 20cmx15cmx5cm you have to leave it at the bag drop point and pay £5.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2019, 05:25:16 PM »

The best I can say about it is it looks OK from a distance, but other than that, everything about it is absolute shite.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2019, 05:43:31 PM »
Mings is great, but he needs to cut out the mistakes.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2019, 06:33:22 PM »
I think with Mings you need to factor in the fact that he is playing in a play it out from the back team, but one that doesn’t have very good screening so we still invite too much pressure on the centre backs. He does definitely have a tendency to mess about on the ball but I think he’s also given loads of  opportunities to misplace a pass in games because he sees so much of the ball. So it’s partly just a product of numbers.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2019, 07:52:25 PM »

The best I can say about it is it looks OK from a distance, but other than that, everything about it is absolute shite.

Lee Dixon was bigging it up on the NBC coverage yesterday, he loved the design/colours.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2019, 08:07:48 PM »
A well earned point and a great overall performance. Some really daft comments on here though, Mings “Elphick with dreadlocks” being the pick. Mings is an excellent player for us, an excellent leader too. His mistake apart, he was very good yesterday.

His mistakes (plural) are what I based the comment on.  Mings has played well generally but if any comment is daft it's saying he's been excellent when he's made cock ups at Arsenal, Man City, Norwich, ManYew, to name a few, which led directly or indirectly to goals conceded.   Not to mention other unforced errors like against Newcastle.  Elphick often played very well but then let himself and others down with frequent cock-ups.  So daft my arse and maybe you need to remove your Mings-ray specs.

No it’s daft. He’s been immense for us since he’s been here in every aspect. A talisman for the club. Every player We have makes errors at some point. Konsa made one near the end which could easily have resulted in a goal for a winner for them when he should have put his boot through the ball. Fortunately Martial put the ball over.  No mention of that though. Talk of him being dropped is also daft.

What he did last season is irrelevant to how he's been playing this season. Being a talisman is irrelevant to how he's playing this season.  Yes every player makes mistakes and they get pelters for them.     Clarke was prone to errors when he played for us, so was Vlaar, so was Elphick.  They could all play really well but then fuck it up with a stupid error.  And people weren't afraid to say so. Konsa is a youngster taking his first steps in the PL, he's also not an England international. He might deserve a bit of leeway for that.  I don't see why Mings should have a permanent get out of jail card or sacred cow status because he won the fans hearts and minds last season. Yes he was great last season, nowadays less so, which anyone can see if they care to admit it, and plenty of other people can based on the last few match threads and post match threads.

And, he's an England player now on the strength of his performances so he's obviously not as ineffective as you are painting him.

You could say he got us a point you could say he contributed a fair bit to costing us two.  I just don't see why he should be beyond criticism when he messes up, no-one else seems to be.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2019, 08:09:42 PM »

You could say he got us a point you could say he contributed a fair bit to costing us two.  I just don't see why he should be beyond criticism when he messes up, no-one else seems to be.

Plenty of posters have commented when he has made a mistake. It's just that they haven't ignored him playing well for the other 89 minutes of the match or made silly comparisons to Tommy Elphick.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2019, 10:19:35 PM »
Mings is great, but he needs to cut out the mistakes.

Have all the unforced mistakes coincided with his international call up? (Arsenal, Norwich, City, United), at fault for the goals conceded v Brighton and Palace too for me.

The one yesterday was inexcusable.as he had no defensive cover near him (Luiz put him in trouble to start with and then as is his wont hid). You could see it about to happen before he cleared the ball. I'm all for playing from the back but Mings was showboating a bit yesterday I thought at times.

I wasn't impressed with Konsa yesterday either. Lost Rashford for the equaliser and nearly gifted Martial the winner.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2019, 11:00:15 PM »
Nothing wrong with pointing out mistakes or poor performances of fan favourites. Like most villa fans I love what Mings has brought to our club in terms of leadership and quality, he was nearly as instrumental as Jack in getting us up and generally has been very good this season. That doesn’t mean he’s beyond criticism, on this forum I said he was very poor imo first half against Newcastle.

However, I think, and really no offence meant, that comparisons to other players aren’t very useful. Elphick was a heart and soul trier, but not in the same league in terms of quality as Mings, or Engels, Konsa, Tuanzebe for that matter. So the comparisons a poor one for me and leads us down a path of being more critical of Mings that his general performances deserve.

Saying that, as another poster pointed out and as I thought myself when I watched the game, McGrath didn’t always do the pretty stuff and played percentages, he would of whoofed that one into row z.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal