collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464373 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #3795 on: February 01, 2020, 10:54:20 AM »
Who in the league has had a brilliant window? I don't think there's a single set of fans who are entirely satisfied. Everyone bar the top three wanted signings to improve things and didn't get 'enough.' This is january. The winter window is becoming more and more difficult to deal in. I think Samatta will prove to be a good signing. We've probably enquired about the likes of Benteke, Slimani, maybe Giroud. It would seem those options we'd have preferred on loan as they're big money gambles, but the respective clubs were more interested in cashing in. As far as proven forwards available, that wouldn't have been potentially dangerously expensive, who was around?
I also think we'd have been hesitant to get another Samatta type signing. He wasn't massive money, but he wasn't cheap.

I don't think we've had a really game changing January since Bent, and before him Carew/Young. This is as per...Not just for us, most clubs.

Tyrone Deon Mings says hello.

Offline supertom

« Reply #3796 on: February 01, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »
Who in the league has had a brilliant window? I don't think there's a single set of fans who are entirely satisfied. Everyone bar the top three wanted signings to improve things and didn't get 'enough.' This is january. The winter window is becoming more and more difficult to deal in. I think Samatta will prove to be a good signing. We've probably enquired about the likes of Benteke, Slimani, maybe Giroud. It would seem those options we'd have preferred on loan as they're big money gambles, but the respective clubs were more interested in cashing in. As far as proven forwards available, that wouldn't have been potentially dangerously expensive, who was around?
I also think we'd have been hesitant to get another Samatta type signing. He wasn't massive money, but he wasn't cheap.

I don't think we've had a really game changing January since Bent, and before him Carew/Young. This is as per...Not just for us, most clubs.

Tyrone Deon Mings says hello.
He was for sure, albeit at the lower level. It's even harder in this division I think to really have the kind of January that can completely turn a season.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3797 on: February 01, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »
January is a crap window.
Clubs put a premium on all their players who are likely to attract interest.

I don’t think we were ever interested in Bowen this window. If there was maybe they were thinking of a summer move.
That said, I reckon we’ll go for Benrama, Deans preferred player, in the Summer.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3798 on: February 01, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »
I feel happy that we are back up to 3 strikers, the quality remains to be seen. Whatever happens in the remainder of the season (in the league) a review of our transfer policy and the roles of Purslow, Suso and Deano in carrying it through is definitely needed. Better planning is required by our decision makers if they wish to maintain their reputations and we need to learn from our mistakes (particularly the obvious summer one).

Offline VillaBoy_23

« Reply #3799 on: February 01, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »
I honestly don’t know what people want from Suso and the club. We’ve been backed to the hilt financially in the summer, we’re in our first cup final for 5 years, are outside of the relegation zone and have Villa die hards as manager and captain. This is the first squad I’ve felt I identify with in yonks and generally am enjoying being a Villa fan more now than easily since the beginning of the MON era. I suggest others try and enjoy the ride too before it passes you by...

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #3800 on: February 01, 2020, 11:12:48 AM »
I am struggling to see the point in switching a player out if contract in June (Kodjia) that struggled at Prem level, for another player out if contract in June that has struggled at a lower level.

Even Hogan has a better record in English football.

But has also in the past succeeded at a higher level whereas neither Hogan or Kodija ever have. And please, not this 'in English football' stuff, as though the top division in Spain is a second rate league and only the Premier League worth talking about.

Ultimately it's a low risk signing of a player who has shown he can cut it at a good level earlier in his career, for 5 months cover, which may or may not prove effective. We know for sure that Kodija and Hogan weren't up to it.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #3801 on: February 01, 2020, 11:17:24 AM »
At the time we got Mings, he was an injury prone left back who couldn't even get in the Bournemouth side. Hindsight shows us we bought a living legend of an England International centre back. Hindsight is such a clever scout.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3802 on: February 01, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »
Not sure we’ve done anywhere near enough to counter the lack of goals in the team. And didn’t DS say only yesterday that we were looking at players with PL quality and experience?

If we were looking at this window to solve squad quality and depth problems, I don’t think it’s been a success.

8 sides have scored more than us.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3803 on: February 01, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
Mings was game-changing. None of the latest recruits look likely to be, but who knows?

With his mentality Reina could well be a Mings type influence on the pitch imo.

Just to show some of the younger players it's actually o.k to compete and actually take a point or three off "top" teams Spurs and Arsenal.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #3804 on: February 01, 2020, 12:25:36 PM »
This is the first squad I’ve felt I identify with in yonks and generally am enjoying being a Villa fan more now than easily since the beginning of the MON era. I suggest others try and enjoy the ride too before it passes you by...
Well said

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3805 on: February 01, 2020, 01:05:44 PM »
Mings was game-changing. None of the latest recruits look likely to be, but who knows?

With his mentality Reina could well be a Mings type influence on the pitch imo.

Just to show some of the younger players it's actually o.k to compete and actually take a point or three off "top" teams Spurs and Arsenal.

I agree. Whatever Mings brings ability-wise is dwarfed by his leadership, character and being an all round immense human being. Reina's a player of genuine standing in the game who's played at the very top, I think he's a huge signing.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3806 on: February 01, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
Glad we got a centre half in to add some competiton at the back....

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3807 on: February 01, 2020, 05:18:41 PM »
It's not the white flag of surrender our pitiful lack of business was in Jan 2016, but my initial feeling is - Reina apart - it leaves us short of the hit of quality we needed. 

And we needed it before factoring in the injuries to McGinn, Heaton and Wesley.

I also can't understand why some fans can't understand others might be concerned.  We're one point outside of the dropzone at the start of Feb, with tougher remaining fixtures than West Ham and Bournemouth to name just two. Most of our games in that March/ April period look particularly grim.

Looks like we tried for Giroud but that was never a goer. Samatta looks like an intriguing gamble - if we were comfortably mid table, he was back up and there wasn't immediate pressure on him to deliver. Baston as back up to the back up is probably fine.

Drinkwater still looks an odd one, and I believe we've missed a trick not bringing a midfielder with more physicality in this window and last. We're too nice to play against. We might even have to look at summat like Konsa in midfield before too long.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 05:20:37 PM by KevinGage »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3808 on: February 01, 2020, 05:21:22 PM »
some of them will be ok in the Chumps next season

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #3809 on: February 01, 2020, 05:40:34 PM »
Wesley getting injured has probably improved us, as Davies will now get a game, Samata looks better, and the other signing is likely also better. If he had got injured we would been stuck with 10 men all season.

The main problem is not replacing McGinn properly. Indeed even before he got injured we looked weak  but with Makanba losing form and Luiz being rubbish at tackling we needed something better than an unfit and past best Drinkwater.

Letting Chester and Kodjia go was stupid too.

I still think Smith should have gone before the window opened, we have missed the opportunity now. I hope we see more of the kind of performances we had in cup now and less like today but not holding my breath.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal