collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464692 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #3780 on: February 01, 2020, 08:45:58 AM »
West Ham have got a 45 million centre forward, a 40 million attacking midfielder and now Bowen. If that squad doesn't drag itself to 6 or 7 wins by the end of the season it proves how shit Moyes is. But... Moyes wins games, it's what he does. According to Moyes.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3781 on: February 01, 2020, 08:50:48 AM »
Well, that window was massively uninspiring. I can't really say that Suso has done much to enhance his reputation since he's been here.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #3782 on: February 01, 2020, 08:55:16 AM »
Well, that window was massively uninspiring. I can't really say that Suso has done much to enhance his reputation since he's been here.
he's certainly not unearthed any nuggets for Smith

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #3783 on: February 01, 2020, 08:57:09 AM »
West Ham have got a 45 million centre forward, a 40 million attacking midfielder and now Bowen. If that squad doesn't drag itself to 6 or 7 wins by the end of the season it proves how shit Moyes is. But... Moyes wins games, it's what he does. According to Moyes.

I hope I am right here, the Bowen signing does not improve West Ham that much.  They already have an abundance of expensive attacking midfielders/wingers.  PlayingBowen just means Yarmalenko/snodgrass/fornals/lanzini/Andersen cannot play.  In the meantime their CM and defence is as shit as ever. 

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #3784 on: February 01, 2020, 08:59:26 AM »

my verdict is we were either woefully under prepared or severely restricted by FFP and I’m not sure which I’d prefer to be the true reason.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:03:02 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #3785 on: February 01, 2020, 09:01:58 AM »
Not sure we’ve done anywhere near enough to counter the lack of goals in the team. And didn’t DS say only yesterday that we were looking at players with PL quality and experience?

If we were looking at this window to solve squad quality and depth problems, I don’t think it’s been a success.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #3786 on: February 01, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »
All in all this window has been a huge success!

Reina (fantastic keeper) shocked by it as I was expecting him to be shit.

Drinkwater (cover for SJM and very little risk attached) also frees douglas to play higher up where I feel he needs to be.

Samatta needed Badly and adds pace and an extra dimension of pace. Time will tell if hes good enough but I think he will do nicely.

Pato/buju Banton last min swoop. Extra body for free incase our boy in the bubble wrap getting injured again.

Barry, absolutely fantastic prospect for the future and mark my words if we are safe with a few games to spare he will make cameos to blood him this season.  One for the future who will probably sell for big bucks someday.

Chester out. Love him and am sad to see him go but it was his choice and I wont begrudge him a move.
Kodja thank god hes gone and been replaced with someone younger on lower wages that w
Has helped with our ffp position for the future.
Kalanic needed to go and at least with this loan we most likely brought some of the 7 mil we spent on him back.
Hogan to blues I think the club has done for my own personal amusement and I am over the moon with this deal haha
The rest of the loans are just to generate income to help with ffp.

Stand back and look at it objectively and we have had a good window. I look at this squad now and with the addition of a class centre mid an upgrade on Hause left back cover and a marquee striker in the summer and we will be knocking on the Europa league places this time next season. All we have to do is stay up and use the 140 million ish we will have to spend next season on said players. Yes we all wanted us to sign those players now but as evidenced by the lack of activity this window ffp is biting everyone in the ass and this is not the way football works anymore. Rightly or wrongly.
Reina is going to sign the extra season I assume and is baston proves to be decent he can sign an extension any time he likes in the next  6 months to stay with us.
Drinkwater will sign on a permanent in the summer if dean is happy with his progress as he obviously sees a kante drinkwater partnership between him and nakamba.
In the absolute worst case scenario and Samatta is shit and scores 1 or 2 before the end of the season he will still be worth 10-15 million to a championship so again no risk involved at all.

Back behind the club and here's hoping for a mid table finish a cup win and a European adventure awaits next season.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #3787 on: February 01, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »

We’ve seen Samatta for 60 minutes. No way can we be sure he’s not been an astute signing.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #3788 on: February 01, 2020, 09:04:28 AM »
On reflection we’ve done well with our outgoing players.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #3789 on: February 01, 2020, 09:04:38 AM »
I may like my stats but there's no way i'm checking everyone's transfer business, even i'm not that much of a sad fecker, hard as that is to believe!
struggling with that one PWS ;) ......only kidding buddy

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3790 on: February 01, 2020, 09:16:36 AM »

We’ve seen Samatta for 60 minutes. No way can we be sure he’s not been an astute signing.

Samatta may indeed to turn out be a good player.  I really meant looking at it from an overall point of view.  I thought it was madness starting the season with an unproven striker from the Belgian league, an always-injured kid who never scores, and somebody who doesn't look good enough for this level.  Now we're betting the mortgage on an unproven striker from the Belgian league, an always-injured kid who never scores, and somebody who doesn't look good enough for this level.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3791 on: February 01, 2020, 09:22:30 AM »
I think we went out and did what we needed to do without spending a great deal which wasn't necessary anyway. We got two new strikers in (yes, I'd have loved someone like Beneteke sitting on the bench as well), an extra body in midfield whilst McGinn recovers and to help out Nakamba and Luiz, a very experienced goalkeeper on loan to replace the experience we lost and brought a young kid in for the future which had the Smethwick fans caterwauling.

There was not much business done across the board really which maybe suggests clubs wanted to hold on to what they had. Even Man Utd ended up buying a former Watford player playing in Shanghai.

Offline supertom

« Reply #3792 on: February 01, 2020, 10:48:14 AM »
Who in the league has had a brilliant window? I don't think there's a single set of fans who are entirely satisfied. Everyone bar the top three wanted signings to improve things and didn't get 'enough.' This is january. The winter window is becoming more and more difficult to deal in. I think Samatta will prove to be a good signing. We've probably enquired about the likes of Benteke, Slimani, maybe Giroud. It would seem those options we'd have preferred on loan as they're big money gambles, but the respective clubs were more interested in cashing in. As far as proven forwards available, that wouldn't have been potentially dangerously expensive, who was around?
I also think we'd have been hesitant to get another Samatta type signing. He wasn't massive money, but he wasn't cheap.

I don't think we've had a really game changing January since Bent, and before him Carew/Young. This is as per...Not just for us, most clubs.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3793 on: February 01, 2020, 10:50:32 AM »
Mings was game-changing. None of the latest recruits look likely to be, but who knows?

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #3794 on: February 01, 2020, 10:52:07 AM »
I am struggling to see the point in switching a player out if contract in June (Kodjia) that struggled at Prem level, for another player out if contract in June that has struggled at a lower level.

Even Hogan has a better record in English football.

Should not have let Chester go without a replacement either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal