collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 11:41:07 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by LeeB
[Today at 11:39:08 AM]

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 11:35:24 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Risso
[Today at 11:04:59 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:02:18 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by AV82EC
[Today at 10:54:31 AM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:54 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 09:55:19 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 468804 times)

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #990 on: January 02, 2020, 01:00:38 AM »
Man City's 3rd choice keeper is Scott Carson.

And Liverpool's is long time lower league keeper Andy Lonergan.

No way are any of the top clubs loaning out their second choice. Equally why would one of our relegation rivals (which is basically the bottom 10 teams) help us out with a good loan keeper? So then we'd be into bringing someone in from abroad who would have to settle into the league so are no advantage over Nyland, Steer and Kalinic.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #991 on: January 02, 2020, 01:01:15 AM »
Michel Vorm is third choice still at Tottingham.  Looked decent for Swansea, but I'd be concerned about a player who has been content to be a bench option as long as he has.

Souuthampton have Alex McCarthy, Angus Gunn and Fraser Forster. Forster has been doing well on loan at Celtic, but as was the case with Grabban, we know loans can be terminated if the player gets a better offer.

Those are just a few examples who would be better to my mind than Nyland. There will be plenty of others.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #992 on: January 02, 2020, 01:03:08 AM »
I think Nyland's looked decent when he's played and have complete faith in Steer (back in approx 3 weeks). Would leave the keeper situation alone and strengthen elsewhere.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #993 on: January 02, 2020, 01:03:39 AM »
They don't loan out their second or third choice very often, it tends to be young keepers loaned to the lower leagues. The situation we are in is why they don't loan the number 2 or 3 keeper.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #994 on: January 02, 2020, 01:10:50 AM »
Michel Vorm is third choice still at Tottingham.  Looked decent for Swansea, but I'd be concerned about a player who has been content to be a bench option as long as he has.

Souuthampton have Alex McCarthy, Angus Gunn and Fraser Forster. Forster has been doing well on loan at Celtic, but as was the case with Grabban, we know loans can be terminated if the player gets a better offer.

Those are just a few examples who would be better to my mind than Nyland. There will be plenty of others.

Tottenham want three keepers as they are still in three competitions. They won't be loaning one out. That's exactly why Man City signed Carson... emergency cover if required for the Champions League.

And I can't imagine a conversation which started with "hello Southampton, would you like to help us avoid relegation?" would last very long.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #995 on: January 02, 2020, 01:14:46 AM »

Forster's excellent but I can't see him giving up medals to come to a relegation scrap.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #996 on: January 02, 2020, 01:15:48 AM »
There used to be the odd older safe pair of hands type keeper around, but not anymore. Getting a loan would be tough that is any better than Nyland. Part of me puts his general shakiness down to 1. not being prepared for how physical the championship is and 2. only having Chester in front of him that could defend. Having Mings, Engels, Hause, Konsa etc in front of him will help a lot. Steer back in Feb too hopefully. Spurs have issues in goal, Southampton can't decide between their 1 and 2, none of the top 4 will let their 2nd choice go etc. Best you could hope for is offering a massive loan fee for a Butland in the Championship, but his form has been pretty rotten for Stoke. Bring a keeper in from a similar league and you are gambling on them getting up to speed. On paper Kalinic looks great, Croatian number 1, big, imposing etc, but looked awful on the pitch. If Nyland can just keep it solid for a few weeks, we could get by.

If we are going 3 at the back, and Smith appears to be using McGinns injury as his reason for changing it, then an extra centre half is a good idea. Chester isn't ready for the premier league every week, Mings gets knocks, none of the others are leaders. Getting another leader in there is a good move.

Up front though, we have to buy 2 forwards. If they are good quality, playing this system, we  stay up IMO. Such a shame because Wesley actually looked the part for the first time in his general game today too. Powerful, used the ball well, got 2-3 good chances and was alert.

Kalinic is a real strange one. Agreed on the handful of games for us he looked poor but he was the first Dean Smith signing (huge money for the championship) and practically given up on a matter of weeks later. We haven't been able to get rid of him even on loan.

I'd be happy enough with Steer provided he is fit relatively soon. Nyland has done ok in some recent appearances and looks to have filled out a bit. But let's not forget how awful he was last season when first choice.

Given it's there are about 10 teams capable of being relegated, I don't think there will be many if any transfers between those clubs. Chelsea and Spurs may spend a bit which could free up some of their fringe players.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #997 on: January 02, 2020, 01:17:29 AM »
Southampton's current 3 choice is, I think, 22 year old Harry Lewis. Spent a season on loan at Dundee United in division 2 a couple of years ago and that's it for league appearances.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 01:20:30 AM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #998 on: January 02, 2020, 01:18:34 AM »
Forster is on a season long loan to Celtic.

Online KevinGage

« Reply #999 on: January 02, 2020, 01:20:46 AM »
Who knows, if Southampton carry on the way they are, by the end of Jan they could be virtually safe.

Begovic is out on loan in, eh, Azerbaijan. Which is an unusual one.  But that loan expires in Jan.

Might not be the player he was, but even the player he is is better than Nyland.  I don't want it to sound like I have a vendetta against him.  I'm sure he is a tryer. But he was signed late in summer 2018, when our first, second and third choices (as a Championship club) were most likely gone after the good doctor's diligent care with the bills and all that jazz.

That was a shite situation then, but we shouldn't perpetuate it by playing the guy just because he's still here.

Online KevinGage

« Reply #1000 on: January 02, 2020, 01:21:20 AM »
Forster is on a season long loan to Celtic.

Yeah, I said that.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1001 on: January 02, 2020, 01:26:00 AM »
So Southampton are going to recall him to loan him straight out to us and why is he going to leave a title winning side for a relegation battle? Especially as he seems to like Celtic considering the amount of time he's spent there.

Online KevinGage

« Reply #1002 on: January 02, 2020, 01:30:43 AM »
Why did Rodgers jump ship.

Premier League and money.  Mostly money.

He might still have designs on an England place as well, particularly with Heaton now out ironically.

Southgate might look more favourably at a trip to VP to see him than a trip up to chilly Jocko land to see him scratching his arse against Falkirk.

Southampton might have agreed a low/zero loan fee with Celtic because of his connection there.  If we pay a loan fee and take on most of his wages (it's unlikely Celtic will be paying that) it's a better deal for them. In theory.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 01:32:50 AM by KevinGage »

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1003 on: January 02, 2020, 01:33:28 AM »
He's on loan, he's not going to get a pay rise joining us on loan, or a signing on fee.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1004 on: January 02, 2020, 01:34:25 AM »
I think Nyland will be fine.
He came and caught a very difficult cross which Heaton would not have taken.
He is good reflex keeper his main problem is his kicking, which I am sure they have worked on.
His throwing is very good.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal