collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 469475 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #975 on: January 01, 2020, 11:45:09 PM »
Hell no to Sturridge and Drinkwater.

Online Hillbilly

« Reply #976 on: January 01, 2020, 11:46:34 PM »
I see someone called Matt Godden has just scored a hattrick in each of Cov's last two games. We should put in a bid. Not saying he'd be any good for us but we can't have that rabble resurfacing.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #977 on: January 02, 2020, 12:09:36 AM »
One out and out striker, another who can play across the front, a CB and CM

We already have five senior centre backs in the squad, not sure why we would need another. Granted we played three today but that system may not last too long.

Definitely need an experienced CM to come in. Think Eric Dier might not be the worst shout. Career has stagnated at Spurs but still young enough to get back on track. Could also play in a three at the back.

Agreed on a striker and possibly two. Definitely need a better left back/wing back option too.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #978 on: January 02, 2020, 12:10:51 AM »
If we are switching to three centre-halves on a regular basis, then we may need an extra one. Particularly if Hause shifts to left-back.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #979 on: January 02, 2020, 12:33:19 AM »
To be honest, if Heaton is out for any length of time, I'd prefer to see us bring in a keeper.

We seen at the start if last season how a ropey keeper can cause panic in the backline. Nyland has done well recently when coming in, admittedly. But he had the odd decent game or two last season as well.  There were far too many more dodgy ones. As someone said last season, he plays like he has crisp packets for hands.  Even when he actually reaches a shot, you fear the ball might still find a way through.

If he struggled in the Championship I don't see the logic in giving him a longer run in a league at a far higher standard.

Kalinac has more pedigree, but again, he was off the pace last year.

It might have to be a loan, but if it is, so be it.  We don't want to be looking back in March points adrift because of delusions about the quality of our back up keepers. It's one area you really can't mess around with.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #980 on: January 02, 2020, 12:37:14 AM »
If you're getting someone on loan, they're already not good enough to be playing in a top league. Otherwise their club wouldn't have agreed to loan them out. They'll be no better than the two, soon to be three, we have.

We have other priorities.

Online KevinGage

« Reply #981 on: January 02, 2020, 12:44:42 AM »
As an example, Chelsea, Tottingham or even Southampton's second or third choice keepers will all most likely be of a higher standard than Norway's second choice keeper. Who we signed from the German second division, at the age of 28.  So it's not as if he's one we are bringing along and developing for the future.

If it was for an odd game or two that Heaton was missing, I'd say tough it out.  But it isn't by the looks of it.

We have other areas we need to strengthen as well. But they're all a priority, as far as I can see.  We might have more numbers for one position over another. It doesn't mean we have the required quality.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #982 on: January 02, 2020, 12:46:00 AM »
And we sign another keeper and still end up relegated, am I the only that thinks 6 first team keepers and FFP aren't a good combination?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #983 on: January 02, 2020, 12:47:43 AM »
Man City's 3rd choice keeper is Scott Carson.

Online KevinGage

« Reply #984 on: January 02, 2020, 12:49:21 AM »
If we sign one on loan and get relegated, I don't think it's likely to send us to the wall.

Who knows, they might even help to keep us up - in which case we could sign them in the summer, offload two of the other three, and give Heaton genuine competition for that position.

Offline Aldridge Villa

« Reply #985 on: January 02, 2020, 12:50:22 AM »
Bowen would be a super buy and from what I’ve seen of him, Cosgrove from Aberdeen could probably fulfil a similar role to that of Wes. We’ll see, am sure there are a few forward targets on the radar.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #986 on: January 02, 2020, 12:52:10 AM »
Cyriel Dessers rumour

I follow the Dutch League a little and he is one of a few very good strikers we could go for that wouldn't cost much

Let's take a punt on a couple of strikers from abroad!

The fact Kodija is our only fit striker worries the life out of me

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #987 on: January 02, 2020, 12:55:31 AM »
There used to be the odd older safe pair of hands type keeper around, but not anymore. Getting a loan would be tough that is any better than Nyland. Part of me puts his general shakiness down to 1. not being prepared for how physical the championship is and 2. only having Chester in front of him that could defend. Having Mings, Engels, Hause, Konsa etc in front of him will help a lot. Steer back in Feb too hopefully. Spurs have issues in goal, Southampton can't decide between their 1 and 2, none of the top 4 will let their 2nd choice go etc. Best you could hope for is offering a massive loan fee for a Butland in the Championship, but his form has been pretty rotten for Stoke. Bring a keeper in from a similar league and you are gambling on them getting up to speed. On paper Kalinic looks great, Croatian number 1, big, imposing etc, but looked awful on the pitch. If Nyland can just keep it solid for a few weeks, we could get by.

If we are going 3 at the back, and Smith appears to be using McGinns injury as his reason for changing it, then an extra centre half is a good idea. Chester isn't ready for the premier league every week, Mings gets knocks, none of the others are leaders. Getting another leader in there is a good move.

Up front though, we have to buy 2 forwards. If they are good quality, playing this system, we  stay up IMO. Such a shame because Wesley actually looked the part for the first time in his general game today too. Powerful, used the ball well, got 2-3 good chances and was alert.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #988 on: January 02, 2020, 12:55:40 AM »
One out and out striker, another who can play across the front, a CB and CM

Is that your wishlist or have you heard whispering those are our targets?

What I heard

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #989 on: January 02, 2020, 12:58:46 AM »
Can we recall Hogan? I know he's no good but we need the numbers and could play him against Fulham/Leicester

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal