collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464460 times)

Offline robleflaneur

Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2019, 04:38:52 PM »
See the increase in Ming's value as the reason to not loan players!

Loans got us promoted.
It's the reliance on loans that is the problem.
That was  Bruce's short term thinking and he wouldn't have got us promoted.Our dependance on loans left us with a promoted side that was very short of players.Derby last season  had some talented youngsters ,Mount,Tomori,Wilson ,on loan but have struggled with replacing them.
Developing your own squad offers a far more secure future.

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2019, 06:37:48 PM »

Loans got us promoted.

! Maybe they did. But Mings cost us three times what he was worth prior to promotion.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
I actually think Mings is a really good example of a loan that worked for all parties. He was a risky player in terms of injuries and time out. We avoided that risk by being able to give him back if we didn’t go up, but if he was good and we went up ( as was the case) we got first dibs on a PL quality player with a clear preference for us. Even if we paid PL money for him and didn’t get him on the cheap it’s still a decent trade off I’d say.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2019, 06:57:51 PM »

Loans got us promoted.

! Maybe they did. But Mings cost us three times what he was worth prior to promotion.

There's no maybe about it, and the extra we paid for Mings is a fraction of what he was worth to us last season.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2019, 07:45:28 PM »

Loans got us promoted.

There's no maybe about it, and the extra we paid for Mings is a fraction of what he was worth to us last season.
I’d have paid double what we ended up paying at the start of last season if I’d knew that Mings would have helped take us from closer the foot of the table in February to winning at Wembley come May. He’s been worth every single penny and some.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2019, 08:42:09 PM »
I think we’d be mad not to use the loan system more.  Like Mings, it is an opportunity to get players who would otherwise not join us.  Once here they grow an affiliation and join permanently if we want them.

Online walsall villain

« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2019, 08:55:04 PM »
I think we’d be mad not to use the loan system more.  Like Mings, it is an opportunity to get players who would otherwise not join us.  Once here they grow an affiliation and join permanently if we want them.
Purslow’s said after our play off win that Villa did not won’t to continue to rely on the loan system. The club apparently feels you are ultimately improving players who aren’t yours. I’m guessing we will bring in zero loans in the foreseeable future.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2019, 09:05:41 PM »
Loan to buy is ok though as long as we insert a clause.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2019, 09:07:37 PM »
Tammy wasn't a bad loan either.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #219 on: December 03, 2019, 12:04:34 AM »

For where we are now then I would agree.  We just needed to get out of the Championship as quickly as possible, so short-term loans that helped us do that were fine.  We are now looking to build something more sustainable and to progress, so need a longer term view when making signings. 

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »

Agree - the try before you buy approach can be shrewd business.  Allows us to take a couple of 'punts' with not much downside risk, but plenty of upside potential. While Mings is worth every penny we paid, an agreed figure at the start of the loan would have been a flipping bargain.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #221 on: December 03, 2019, 11:31:43 AM »
I have just posted in the Wesley thread that if the right striker isn't available in January that I'd rather see a loan than a make do and mend purchase.  I think waiting to find the right fit is more important than just acquiring more players.  Strikers could become the new right backs.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #222 on: December 03, 2019, 12:43:21 PM »

Agree - the try before you buy approach can be shrewd business.  Allows us to take a couple of 'punts' with not much downside risk, but plenty of upside potential. While Mings is worth every penny we paid, an agreed figure at the start of the loan would have been a flipping bargain.
Yes, you just need to cast your eye over to Wolves, who have used the 'loan to buy' very effectively over the last couple of years: Boly, Jota, Jiménez , Dendoncker and Jonny. They have all improved their side immensely.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #223 on: December 03, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
Loan to buy isn't always on offer.

Right now, we are threadbare at front and our PL safety is far from secure.  If we were offered a decent option on loan who would improve the team, then under our current circumstances we would be crazy not to take that up even if it's acknowledged it's not our favoured way forward.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
Whether it's a loan or a permanent we absolutely need a striker, and a good one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal