collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 469481 times)

Offline Demitri_C

Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2019, 12:38:38 PM »
I seen tekkers recently and I have to say he looks a shadow of the player we signed. Leaving us for Liverpool was a massive mistake by him and has ruins this career

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2019, 12:44:30 PM »
He's hardly old, (he turns 29 next week) and he has looked sharper recently - really good work for Palace's equaliser against Liverpool last week but there is a market out there with lots more options so I'd have him lower down on a list.
I'm surprised he signed a contract extension in the summer, maybe Palace wanted to give him every chance to shine after being injured for much of last season.

Online NeilH

« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2019, 01:03:44 PM »
Quincy Promes of Ajax is a good player but be a big take to get him.
Can play wide forward and Dutch international he's joint leader scorer and one many would have heard of and seen play for Ajax or Holland.

Given that Ajax are pis*ing the Eredivisie this season, still in the Champions League and hot on the heels of a Chumps League semi-final, I don't think that they will be selling one of their latest crown jewels to us any time soon.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:11:22 PM by NeilH »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2019, 01:07:54 PM »
If we signed Benteke it would show we have not learned anything from the days of signing overpaid has beens,  ala Mica Richards. Too many on here have rose tinted specs if they think that this is the same player from 2013 - 2015.
Young and hungry is the way, not old and on easy street.

Using Micah Richards to decide that all older players will be rubbish is as daft as it would be if I said the signing of Paul McGrath meant that all older players would be brilliant.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2019, 02:11:13 PM »
Benteke did have an affinity with us though so it wouldn't be a typical signing of a has been. That said, he really is a has been, he's been shit for such a long time i'd be very doubtful of his having any kind of useful impact.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2019, 03:06:41 PM »
We won't be spending big from what seems to have been written in the media. I think one or two tops.

I think that's all we need for the remainder of this season really for where we realistically are looking to be.  I think there are other areas that could do with a bit of strengthening going forward, but I think a quality striker and possibly a wide player would strengthen and would see us secure our place in the division.   

I think all the signings in the summer were made with a longer term vision in mind and I think we should continue that approach in January.  If we do make a loan signing, it should be a loan-to-buy option.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2019, 03:08:46 PM »
So much of an affinity that he was dying to leave as soon as his stock rose. He was good. He’s now a shadow of the player that once was. If he was motivated he’d probably be doing it for Palace. I’m not entirely convinced that a change a of scenery back to a place where he had success now many years ago suddenly makes him a difference player to what he is today.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2019, 04:05:43 PM »
The consensus is that we probably need to upgrade the wide/attacking players.

Though with the emergence of Konsa as an assured player (comfortable in possession) and assuming Chester makes a return, I wonder whether we might play three at the back and push Guilbert and Targett further forward.

If the present wide/attacking players demonstrated they could be more disciplined defensively then they would also be in contention for being Wing-backs.

It also, arguably, gives a better option to accommodate Grealish, SJM, Douglas Luiz and Nakamba in a way that gets one or more of them closer to Wesley.

A proven goalscorer is always a good addition, but switching to the above might make it less of a priority for January - which often is a tough market offering poor value. UTV

Please no. Hate five at the back. It minimises your attacking threat and the extra centre-halves just get in each other's way and increase the chance of playing the opposition onside.
Disagree CD, if you have good wingbacks and disciplined, mobile CB.
I'd be in favour of trying it, given that we have the CB and the WB to make it work.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2019, 04:07:41 PM »
Nah. I hate it. Defenders are boring. I don't want an extra one taking up a place that could be used by a dead exciting player.

Online Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »

Though with the emergence of Konsa as an assured player (comfortable in possession) and assuming Chester makes a return, I wonder whether we might play three at the back and push Guilbert and Targett further forward.

If the present wide/attacking players demonstrated they could be more disciplined defensively then they would also be in contention for being Wing-backs.

It also, arguably, gives a better option to accommodate Grealish, SJM, Douglas Luiz and Nakamba in a way that gets one or more of them closer to Wesley.

A proven goalscorer is always a good addition, but switching to the above might make it less of a priority for January - which often is a tough market offering poor value. UTV

Please no. Hate five at the back. It minimises your attacking threat and the extra centre-halves just get in each other's way and increase the chance of playing the opposition onside.
I'd be in favour of trying it, given that we have the CB and the WB to make it work.

Agreed. It can shift the whole team further up the pitch and provides the angles and options to move the ball quickly into front players with supporting players closer to them. Particularly if you have defenders bringing the ball out. Do that in a four and (typically) a midfield player drops in so a potential overload is not created.

I'm not sold on it as a system in every circumstance and with every group of players - but I think it is a decent option given our current squad and what they offer. UTV.

Online Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2019, 05:38:48 PM »
Nah. I hate it. Defenders are boring. I don't want an extra one taking up a place that could be used by a dead exciting player.

Guilbert and Targett given license to maraud forward (even more than now) and one of Mings, Engels or Konsa bringing the ball out to initiate an attack - I don't think that is boring, but fair enough if that is your view.

An attacking coach, like Smith, would (could) genuinely make it a three with wide players pushed on. Defensively minded coaches, do set it up as five defenders.

The telltale is the midfield - if that is a four strung across the pitch then there is not the space for the wide players (Wing-backs) to go past them. UTV

Offline nigel

« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2019, 07:39:28 PM »

Agreed. It can shift the whole team further up the pitch and provides the angles and options to move the ball quickly into front players with supporting players closer to them. Particularly if you have defenders bringing the ball out. Do that in a four and (typically) a midfield player drops in so a potential overload is not created.

I'm not sold on it as a system in every circumstance and with every group of players - but I think it is a decent option given our current squad and what they offer. UTV.

I prefer to call it 3 5 2 rather than 5 3 2
With Konsa, Mings and Engles we have three CB's who are comfortable with the ball at their feet. With Gillbert and Target we have two very good attacking Wing Backs.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2019, 08:10:58 PM »
Aston Villa have been lining up a January swoop for Galatasaray defender Christian Luyindama, according to reports in Turkey.

But a potential move has gone out of the window after the centre-back suffered a serious injury on international duty which could rule him out for the rest of the season.

According to Turkish publication Sabah (via Sport Witness),Villa were exploring a €14m (£12m) push for Luyindama when the window re-opens having first been linked in the summer.

But the 25-year-old tore a cruciate ligament playing for DR Congo against the Gambia in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.

Galatasary confirmed Luyindama requires surgery and they are reportedly furious that any chance of doing a deal has now collapsed.

Luyindama returned to the Super Lig side on a permanent basis from Belgian side Standard Liege after representing his country at the Africa Cup of Nationals finals in Egypt this summer - a place where Villa boss Dean Smith and sporting director Suso were understood to have been in attendance.

He has made 15 appearances in all competitions this season and has recently been linked with Wolverhampton Wanderers and West Ham United.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2019, 08:18:46 PM »
Aston Villa have been lining up a January swoop for Galatasaray defender Christian Luyindama, according to reports in Turkey.

But a potential move has gone out of the window after the centre-back suffered a serious injury on international duty which could rule him out for the rest of the season.

According to Turkish publication Sabah (via Sport Witness),Villa were exploring a €14m (£12m) push for Luyindama when the window re-opens having first been linked in the summer.

But the 25-year-old tore a cruciate ligament playing for DR Congo against the Gambia in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.

Galatasary confirmed Luyindama requires surgery and they are reportedly furious that any chance of doing a deal has now collapsed.

Luyindama returned to the Super Lig side on a permanent basis from Belgian side Standard Liege after representing his country at the Africa Cup of Nationals finals in Egypt this summer - a place where Villa boss Dean Smith and sporting director Suso were understood to have been in attendance.

He has made 15 appearances in all competitions this season and has recently been linked with Wolverhampton Wanderers and West Ham United.

We can't possibly want a centre-back?!

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2019, 08:22:31 PM »
Two players for me, one from each line in order of preference:

Bowen/Benhrama/Gray/Albrighton/Lolley

Giroud/Morelos/Benteke/Ihenacho

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal