collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Taking kids  (Read 4601 times)

Offline mike

Taking kids
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »
I’m after some perspective here. I try to take my 8 year old to the family area but it sells out pretty quickly. We sat in the Upper Trinity today and the bloke behind my lad was screaming ‘fucking’ this, that and the other (when we were winning). Eventually, I turned round and pointed to my lad and looked at him. The conversation went like this

It’s football

Yes and he’s 8.

Don’t bring him, it’s football.

But you don’t have to do that.

It’s football, don’t bring him.

You don’t HAVE to do that, have some respect.

It’s football.

You don’t HAVE to do that.

So now, my lad doesn’t want to go to Villa Park again.

Is he a wuss or was that bloke out of order.

Offline Sdwbvf

Re: Taking kids
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 10:47:25 PM »
My children come with me. They know not to repeat anything they hear. They know the bad words anyway - they hear them at school (and in the car but less said about that the better).

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:48:30 PM »
I think it depends on the area of the ground.

In The Holte or Lower North - don’t take kids if you are not prepared to explain some colourful language.
In the Family area you have the right to expect no bad language.

The upper Trinity is one of those areas where I’d expect that people may ‘forget themselves’ at times but you probably wouldn’t expect a constant flow of swearing right through the game. I  think this is the middle ground that anyone taking a child to a football match needs to deal with. We love it because if the high emotion, and that is how some people will respond.

Offline mike

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 10:52:00 PM »
I think it depends on the area of the ground.

In The Holte or Lower North - don’t take kids if you are not prepared to explain some colourful language.
In the Family area you have the right to expect no bad language.

The upper Trinity is one of those areas where I’d expect that people may ‘forget themselves’ at times but you probably wouldn’t expect a constant flow of swearing right through the game. I  think this is the middle ground that anyone taking a child to a football match needs to deal with. We love it because if the high emotion, and that is how some people will respond.

I agree, I just think he should have said, ‘soz mate’ and tried not to swear again, rather than, ‘tough don’t bring him.’

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 10:56:59 PM »
You should've twatted him and said "sorry mate". That would be proper parenting,your kids would love it.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 11:00:52 PM »
He’s not a wuss and that bloke is bang out of order.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 11:05:24 PM »
Tough one isn’t it. I also take my 8 year old and I always hear something I wish I hadn’t. Last time against Brighton it was an extended chat about how big their winger’s dick must be (what is it with football fans and other men’s dicks?). There were some uncomfortable discussions about anti Irish comments aimed at the Bristol keeper last season too. It does put me off, but I guess I accept it as an uncomfortable but unavoidable part of the experience. Probably shouldn’t be that way.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 11:06:21 PM »
Double post

Offline Sdwbvf

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 11:07:53 PM »
The bloke is a complete idiot. But I try to avoid conflict when with my children as they do not like it at all. I also try to avoid swearing at the football because it really isn't necessary. It's a difficult one, which is why we had the conversation about swearing before I went for the first time.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 08:22:08 AM »
My dad first took me to watch the Villa the day after my 6th birthday (Swindon away in 1988...), by the time I was 9 or 10 we had a season ticket in the North Stand and went to half a dozen or so away games a season.

Didn't hear much swearing in the North Stand. The few times we did (more than the odd accidental slip), my dad had a word with them and most of the time that was that.

Obviously you hear more colourful language at away games but to be honest it didn't bother me or (I assume) my dad. I'd heard all the words before at school and knew not to use them. Same applies for the odd times (usually cup games) we went in the Holte End.

As for the pillock behind you, he was out of order. You do get 'em.  I'd not let one idiot colour the experience. In the wider scheme of things they're rare. Your lad saw you telling him he was out of order, which is for me the most important thing, certainly more important than the outcome. In a few weeks time he'll remember you speaking up, not what the other bloke was doing.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
Can’t fault you on the specific incident as described. Your lad is not a “wus” (it doesn’t matter if he is by the way) and the bloke should have moderated his language, or made a simple “sorry mate, got carried away, try not to swear too much”.

My lad went first when he was six, we got him a season ticket when he was 10, endured the Holte lower at some of the worst of times performance-wise (relegation and Steve Bruce) and loved it from day one. The folk around us did moderate their language a little initially, but also made a joke of it.

He’s seen his dad lose his temper with, the team, opposition and fellow fans verbally and knows there are boundaries.  I find racism and homophobia far more offensive than any language someone can scream.

However as a fan most do moderate language when youngsters are around them.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »
Reminds me of going to my first games as a youngster, where my Dad told me that I might hear some rude words that it was very important not to repeat at home or at school.

Being Villa mad and loving the atmosphere, I wanted to sing everything so things so, hilariously, he took it upon himself to rework many villa chants to make them more palatable, favourites included:

"Sit on the city"

"My old man said be a city fan and I said no way Jose"

And "If you support the blues you're a bluenose person"

Like a few others in thus thread, it is a tricky one because a lot of blokes do seem to use football as a catharsis to scream and shout and take out their annoyance at life for 90 minutes. Gratuitous use of foul language really winds me up in that sense as it just makes the speaker sound thick.

On the other hand, the culture of football is such that some choice language is to be expected. I may or may not enjoy shouting a little bit of abuse at rival fans and players from time to time.

I actually think the broader point you make is an interesting one.... Why don't the club look to expand the "family area" seeing as it sells out so quickly.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »
Took my eldest two to the Wolves game. There’s always going to be some swearing kids will hear, eg the “fuck VAR” yesterday, but I wouldn’t expect an adult to do it consistently in front of kids. I wouldn’t do it in front of somebody else’s.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »
I'd possibly if you can try and get tickets in the family area and see how it goes but you'd expect the bloke to at least apologise and make an effort to keep the swearing to a minimum.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
That bloke sounds unbearable, Mike.

I hope your lad is back at Villa Park with you soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal