collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Liverpool Post Match Thread  (Read 34228 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa v Liverpool Post Match Thread
« Reply #300 on: November 03, 2019, 11:12:55 PM »
I'm not sure if Vardy is Football Manager Tactics perfect for us but, fuck, there are so few teams on earth he wouldn't improve. At the very least, look how well he's adapted to different football styles and systems, most of which he's adapted to at the top of the game after his 30th birthday. It's remarkable.

Yep. He's a phenomenon.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #301 on: November 03, 2019, 11:37:02 PM »
I'm not sure if Vardy is Football Manager Tactics perfect for us but, fuck, there are so few teams on earth he wouldn't improve. At the very least, look how well he's adapted to different football styles and systems, most of which he's adapted to at the top of the game after his 30th birthday. It's remarkable.

Certainly true when he is in the kind of form he has been so far this season.  I still think we need more of a target man type at the moment though and Wesley just isn't that at the moment.  Would be interested to see Wesley perhaps partnered with that type of striker and see how he got on. 

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #302 on: November 03, 2019, 11:55:25 PM »
Positives :

At least Trezeguet finally did something of note.

We almost got a result without our best player.

Some nice words about Villa and VP from Klopp and the commentator - although I wonder would Klopp have been so magnanimous in defeat or after a draw?

Not so positive:

Poor game management, insufficient fitness and poor ball retention are regularly costing us in second halves.  It's become a pattern, and it's something Smith must take responsibility for and sort out.

Yet another "inconsistent" ref, the same one who denied us a stonewall pen at Arsenal.

Is it those things, or is it simply our substitutes aren't as good as theirs?

In the case of Liverpool,  our subs most certainly wouldn't be deemed anywhere near as good,  but for most games, having spent £130m, you'd hope one or more of our subs would be able to offer something different or extra to influence a game back in our favour.  I'm talking about over the season as a whole, not specifically yesterday.  I don't think I'm alone in thinking Smith seems slow to react to tactical and formation changes from the opposition, often leaves it too late to make subs when some players look knackered, and rarely seems to make pro-active changes that will give the opposition a different challenge.  e.g I think Davis could have come on much earlier against City because Wesley was clearly out of sorts and Davis could have held the ball up much better much sooner.  I think these are key factors in our poor second half displays and loss of points from winning positions.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #303 on: November 04, 2019, 12:08:35 AM »
It's only really the games against Liverpool, Man City, Spurs and perhaps Arsenal and Chelsea where you'd expect us to come under sustained pressure for long periods, but Smith has got to find a way of dealing with it. Sticking doggedly to the same thing in those games is only going to lead to the same result every time.  Maybe a 5-4-1 for the last 10 minutes or however long would be a way to go, with Hause or Konsa coming into the defence alongside Engels and Mings, and an extra body in midfield.    But whatever, he needs to find a way of seeing games out with the players he has available, as just continuing to go toe to toe with the likes of those teams isn't yielding many points.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #304 on: November 04, 2019, 12:33:14 AM »

Certainly true when he is in the kind of form he has been so far this season.  I still think we need more of a target man type at the moment though and Wesley just isn't that at the moment.  Would be interested to see Wesley perhaps partnered with that type of striker and see how he got on. 

The frustration is no Chelsea ban and Tammy would've been here on a permanent for about 25m.

Of course at the time many of us had our doubts about whether he could step up but he's been fantastic for Chelsea so far so no doubt he'd have made a similar impact for us given he already had understanding with our players.

Them the breaks. Wes been hit and miss so far and is still long way from being able to give the best defences in the league a Benteke style workout which is understandble. We have January to rectify this and then think our team will look pretty decent all over.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #305 on: November 04, 2019, 07:26:35 AM »
Hopefully Moss and Kevin Friend don't referee a game at VP for the remainder of the season.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #306 on: November 04, 2019, 07:42:14 AM »
We need to ensure performances like this against the weaker sides in the division.

If I have a slight criticism, it would be that we have probably been slightly under par (compared to the Liverpool & Arsenal performances) too often.  Brighton, Palace and West Ham spring to  mind with possibly Burnley and Bournemouth as well.

Play as well as that on Sunday and we'll beat Wolves.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #307 on: November 04, 2019, 08:52:25 AM »
What a match to witness . A great crowd.
Quite an occasion and enjoyed majority of it.
For me it was quite devastating to lose the goals in the final minutes.
I thought Liverpool were below par and Villa really did a good game for so long.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #308 on: November 04, 2019, 08:57:26 AM »
We need to ensure performances like this against the weaker sides in the division.

If I have a slight criticism, it would be that we have probably been slightly under par (compared to the Liverpool & Arsenal performances) too often.  Brighton, Palace and West Ham spring to  mind with possibly Burnley and Bournemouth as well.

Play as well as that on Sunday and we'll beat Wolves.

Yes I would agree with you

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #309 on: November 04, 2019, 09:01:17 AM »
I'm gutted we lost but so proud of the lad's for the way they played if we play like that for the rest of the season we will be Ok.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #310 on: November 04, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
Gutted of course, but there's something about this team I really like. They work hard, have a lot of skill and as they are young will get better. Once we add 3 or 4 real quality players to the squad and the others have a proper chance to bed in, I think we'll have a real team here.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #312 on: November 04, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
I've just watched all of the game again this morning and I'm so proud of all of them they gave everything I love this team.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #313 on: November 04, 2019, 12:43:33 PM »
We backed off too much though!

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #314 on: November 04, 2019, 07:13:24 PM »
Just brought myself to watch the highlights for the first time, didnt realise it at the time but Hourihane was crap for both of their goals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal