collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Keeno
[Today at 12:56:39 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Liverpool Post Match Thread  (Read 34582 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: Aston Villa v Liverpool Post Match Thread
« Reply #285 on: November 03, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »
Mad similarities in our stories Axl

Yeah, mate. Just reading your post and the last part hit home. It is fucking awful sometimes.

I've one mate who supports Liverpool, and he said he was going to call me during the game from Shanghai. But I heard nothing from him all night, despite sending loads of messages to him about the match.

I finally got a message this morning at about 6am saying he didn't bother watching as he thought they'd win easily, and they're already champions. Arrogant bastard. How I hope they implode.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #286 on: November 03, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »
The more I see the winning goal then the more I think JK completely bottled the challenge. what a half-hearted attempt at winning the ball, their player just wanted it more.

I agree. His job was simply to stand around six yard box and clear the ball if it came in that low. It did and wasn't cleared. Disappointing.

When I played we were always told to have a big man (usually the centre forward (Kodjia) standing on the 6 yard side line which then cuts off any near post headers and means the ball has to be hit higher into the centre of the goal.  This automatically brings the keeper into play as he can then catch/punch the ball away above the forwards.
Also if you have a defender stood on the far post he can cover quite a chunk of the goal line if the keeper leaves it.  If either of these situations had occurred yesterday the winning goal would in all probability not occurred.

It was a pretty poor effort from Kodjia, but Hourihane was marking him and made a similarly poor effort.  The latter also made little attempt to stop the cross for Robertson's goal. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:24:54 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline villa for life

« Reply #287 on: November 03, 2019, 05:22:35 PM »
Big Smith fan! His approach is the reason we got promoted but also the reason we’ve lost points this season. He’s got a lot to learn and we should give him time. If he’s making the same mistakes this time next year, there’ll be questions to be asked, but I’m pretty sure he’ll learn. He’s an intelligent forward thinking coach..Very naive so far, almost in an anti Bruce way.. but keep the faith

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #288 on: November 03, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »
Watched the game in a pub in Bucharest, when the equaliser went in I knew we would lose. That team has guts though and is not going down. Think we will win the next two comfortably.

Even players I was unsure of (Trees and Wes) did well.

Offline achilles

« Reply #289 on: November 03, 2019, 05:31:49 PM »
If we had a centre forward like Vardy, who has pace and looks like he enjoys scoring goals then we would have won that comfortably yesterday, we are that close to having a great team and that is without Grealish! UTV

Offline villa for life

« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2019, 05:34:07 PM »
Yes, that’s the frustrating part. Apart from the top two, no other team stands out. Add Vardy to our team and we’d be where Leicester are.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #291 on: November 03, 2019, 06:07:20 PM »
Big Smith fan! His approach is the reason we got promoted but also the reason we’ve lost points this season. He’s got a lot to learn and we should give him time. If he’s making the same mistakes this time next year, there’ll be questions to be asked, but I’m pretty sure he’ll learn. He’s an intelligent forward thinking coach..Very naive so far, almost in an anti Bruce way.. but keep the faith

What do you think Smith did wrong yesterday?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #292 on: November 03, 2019, 06:49:38 PM »
The question I was going to ask. Not sure what mistakes he made to be honest??

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #293 on: November 03, 2019, 07:55:06 PM »
Guys, how you feeling now some 24 hours later after yesterday's gut wrenching last few minutes? I still feel gutted! The prestige and glory by beating the European Champions was cruelly snatched from us. Imagine those press headlines....

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #294 on: November 03, 2019, 08:10:34 PM »
Still gutted. I can see the positives from the performance but am struggling to come to terms with how a stunning win was snatched from our grasp.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #295 on: November 03, 2019, 08:14:12 PM »
I felt gutted yesterday but today i'm seeing the positives. We have come a hell of a long way in a short space of time, im certain we will not be relegated and will continue to build.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #296 on: November 03, 2019, 09:51:48 PM »
The worst refereeing performance by Johnathan Moss since err Arsenal away five or six weeks ago .It is obvious the guy just does not like the Villa as he seems to give most decisions in the other teams favour.I have read somewhere today that he tried to get the Villa goal ruled out yesterday and was over ruled by Aitkinson on VAR

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #297 on: November 03, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »
If we had a centre forward like Vardy, who has pace and looks like he enjoys scoring goals then we would have won that comfortably yesterday, we are that close to having a great team and that is without Grealish! UTV

Not sure Vardy is the type of striker we need really.  Even though we do play some good football at times, we still go long quite a bit, so I think we need a physical presence who us going to put himself about and hold the ball up. 

Ever since we played them when we first got relegated, I've quite enjoyed watching Brentford on the TV.  They were decent last Monday night and Watkins who plays for them is the one I would be looking at in January.  Plays centrally now, but can also play wide and is currently second highest scorer in the Championship.  Him and Benrahma linked up really well last Monday.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:42:00 PM by tomd2103 »

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #298 on: November 03, 2019, 11:04:20 PM »
I'm not sure if Vardy is Football Manager Tactics perfect for us but, fuck, there are so few teams on earth he wouldn't improve. At the very least, look how well he's adapted to different football styles and systems, most of which he's adapted to at the top of the game after his 30th birthday. It's remarkable.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #299 on: November 03, 2019, 11:11:39 PM »
We should just go and get the younger German version of him, Werner from Leipzig. I say that lightly of course, he'll probably end up at one of Europes top clubs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal