collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: League Cup Quarter-Final - Liverpool at home  (Read 76388 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: League Cup Quarter-Final - Liverpool at home
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2019, 07:19:35 PM »
I don’t see what the fuss is all about, Liverpool were perfectly happy to play their kids last night, so why wouldn’t they do it in the quarter-final? It’s not really much of a comparison is it, be named as the best football club in the world by winning the world super cup or compete in some low-level cup competition which will only give you a Europa place.  They have a huge squad and can compete in both games, with youth coaches or assistants managing the EFL game.

The only way to stop clubs moaning about having too many games to play is for them to be less successful. They cannot have it both ways.

Think the problem here is for Fifa events they always insist on 23 man squads being submitted so Liverpool would have to take many of those young players to Qatar as cover for main 11.

I don't have an issue with it being in January. I remember years back our game at Blackburn got called off from snow so think the schedule got pushed back a week.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2019, 07:50:38 PM »
Our first LC QF since Norwich under Lambert 7 seasons ago, and the last 6 seasons is our longest ever run in this competition without reaching at least the QF.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2019, 09:19:06 PM »
I don’t see what the fuss is all about, Liverpool were perfectly happy to play their kids last night, so why wouldn’t they do it in the quarter-final? It’s not really much of a comparison is it, be named as the best football club in the world by winning the world super cup or compete in some low-level cup competition which will only give you a Europa place.  They have a huge squad and can compete in both games, with youth coaches or assistants managing the EFL game.

The only way to stop clubs moaning about having too many games to play is for them to be less successful. They cannot have it both ways.

Think the problem here is for Fifa events they always insist on 23 man squads being submitted so Liverpool would have to take many of those young players to Qatar as cover for main 11.

I don't have an issue with it being in January. I remember years back our game at Blackburn got called off from snow so think the schedule got pushed back a week.

The real problem here is that fifa have invented a pointless competition that they insist is played in the middle of the season. Fuck it off.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2019, 11:01:40 PM »
Whilst their fixture congestion is a drag, but I'm not displeased to have drawn Liverpool.  In fact, with the exception of season when we last beat them in a Cup competition, for much of the last decade or more I'd have snapped your hand off if you said we'd drawn a home quarter final with a decent chance of progressing.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2019, 11:07:57 PM »
FIFA are also planning to expand this world club thing to 24 teams - they really are a bunch of pricks.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2019, 11:34:52 PM »
I don't really mind that concept. There is no reason why Europe (and to an extent South America) should have exclusive domination of world football and the FIFA Club World Cup and its proposed 24-team successor are events where African, Asian, North American and Oceanian clubs can, at least in theory, have their moment in the spotlight. In any case the 24-team competition would only take place every four years so would lead to a reduction in disruption, not an increase.

Also worth pointing out that England has sent teams before without this level of confusion. The problem this season is that they brought the League Cup Quarter-Finals forward to accommodate a (pointless) two week break for each club in February. That's the fault of the Premier League, not due to any chicanery on FIFA's part.

The future of the League Cup is far more threatened from within Europe than from outside it. France is abolishing its version after this season, meaning only England now offers the winner a European spot.

It has been speculated that Premier League clubs will be able to opt out of the League Cup, once proposals to increase the number of Champions League games by 50% are voted through some time early in the next decade. That would almost certainly see its Europa League place removed and sound the death knoll of the competition.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 11:36:41 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline mikeb1982

« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2019, 11:35:33 PM »
Last time we played them in a cup we played them off the park, bring it on, whenever it is. Best outcome is to let them have their bitch and moan, get it moved to suit them and then beat them anyway.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2019, 12:12:23 AM »

The real problem here is that fifa have invented a pointless competition that they insist is played in the middle of the season. Fuck it off.

Out of interest when did we play I think Penarol in the final of that in 1982, mid season or a later date? I assume we had to miss a league game or two given it was held back then in Tokyo.

It was a one off game between Champions league winner and Libertadores winner from South America then FIFA of course got greedy and it now involves the Asian and African winners.

Man. United in 1999-2000 actually had to go to Tokyo to play the one off game and then a month later they had to go to Brazil to play in that wierd club world club event so had to pull out of the FA cup.

It would be better doing it before the start of the season like the european supercup but Libertadores is ongoing.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2019, 12:16:52 AM »
I don't really mind that concept. There is no reason why Europe (and to an extent South America) should have exclusive domination of world football and the FIFA Club World Cup and its proposed 24-team successor are events where African, Asian, North American and Oceanian clubs can, at least in theory, have their moment in the spotlight. In any case the 24-team competition would only take place every four years so would lead to a reduction in disruption, not an increase.

Also worth pointing out that England has sent teams before without this level of confusion. The problem this season is that they brought the League Cup Quarter-Finals forward to accommodate a (pointless) two week break for each club in February. That's the fault of the Premier League, not due to any chicanery on FIFA's part.

The future of the League Cup is far more threatened from within Europe than from outside it. France is abolishing its version after this season, meaning only England now offers the winner a European spot.

It has been speculated that Premier League clubs will be able to opt out of the League Cup, once proposals to increase the number of Champions League games by 50% are voted through some time early in the next decade. That would almost certainly see its Europa League place removed and sound the death knoll of the competition.

Surely the easiest solution is to just play the league cup a little bit later? Does the final always have to be late Feb/early March? Does the January games always have to be two legged semis, FA cup semi finals aren't.

You could go radical and end season with league cup final on one Saturday and then FA cup final the following Saturday.

There is pretty much three months of the season to run when league cup final is played so no one with a straight face can say there's no room to play the final at a later date. That way you don't get boxed in with having to fit quarter finals in around this club world cup.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2019, 12:20:29 AM »
FIFA are also planning to expand this world club thing to 24 teams - they really are a bunch of pricks.

I'm just surprised, having watched the borefest that was the all English, Champions League Final, they want Liverpool involved in any FIFA game. How much shit can you digest and still claim you support the game on a global scale? Oh yeah, Qatar 2022!

Wankers!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2019, 12:55:59 AM »
We played Penarol in Tokyo on the 12th December 1982.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2019, 06:42:17 AM »
Did we not play Arsenal away on the Tuesday and then instead of staying in London and flying out the next day (Doug said no extra nights hotel bill), the team came back to Birmingham and then, the following morning travelled back to London to fly to Tokyo.

Remember listening to the game on the radio as it was late Saturday night.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2019, 07:00:36 AM »
My dad moans that we played with a ball, "a bloody beach ball" to quote him, that they were used to and we weren't and that's why they won.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »
The EFL will only grant a ‘bye’ into the next round if there is no other solution.
I think there is some chance for a 'bye' though they would probably just shift the tie to January .
Think it may depend on clubs as much as EFL

Offline sid1964

« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2019, 09:21:01 AM »
What is annoying me, is that Villa will just have to accept whatever the EFL say, personally, we should say that we will only play on the specified date that was agreed at the start of the season.

There is talk of us playing the game on 3rd round FA Cup day.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal