collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: League Cup Quarter-Final - Liverpool at home  (Read 39141 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: League Cup Quarter-Final - Liverpool at home
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2019, 11:20:40 AM »
I assume that there lot will get all of the North Stand

Hopefully they will have to play there reserves, but knowing the FA, we will be playing on a date that suits them

I bet SKY are hoping for a City V Utd Final.

The draw looks a bit dodgy with Citeh and Yanited getting the easy ties. Surprise, surprise...

Every competition benefits financially when Man U are in it because of the global interest.  Now imagine the hype and advertising potential if it became an all Manchester final.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »

Wasn't it a ply ploy to try and curry favour with Fifa with our World Cup bid?

Yep, that went well.  Should have stuck to the tried and tested formula of expensive watches and cash in offshore accounts.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2019, 11:28:07 AM »
Assuming that it will be moved, is there actually any other possible date available other than at the start of January and therefore moving the semi-final date?

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2019, 11:28:31 AM »
I really am sick of these clubs moaning about being in so many competitions and it not being fair - isn't that why you spend gazillions on a squad.

If you don't want to play then drop out - its that simple.
I bet when the winter break kicks in the same clubs will be dragging their squads all around the world for "warm weather training" playing a game in Dubai etc

I don't disagree with the gist of your post, but they're not allowed to drop out, are they?  I'm sure some already would have done if they were permitted to do so.

Err the Red filth and the FA cup - and according to some with the FA's blessing

Yes, they were told to drop out as a one off in an exception circumstance. Teams aren't allowed to drop out under normal circumstances.

Wasn't it a ply ploy to try and curry favour with Fifa with our World Cup bid?

I think so, yes. As I recall, it was more a case of the FA telling Man U to drop out than it was of Man U wanting to withdraw and getting their own way.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »
Assuming that it will be moved, is there actually any other possible date available other than at the start of January and therefore moving the semi-final date?

Only one I can see is Christmas Eve. Surely we won't be asked to play then?

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2019, 11:33:06 AM »
Our game will be played in January. Don't get your hopes up. Remember... this is Villa.
Letís hope VAR are not deciding !
I wonder if arsenal will be reinstated if Liverpool drop out ?

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2019, 11:39:58 AM »
I can't see them dropping out. As I see it there are two options: Villa play their kids team while the grown ups are in Qatar, or the game gets played in January. The latter is far more likely IMO.

Online Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
 I donít see what the fuss is all about, Liverpool were perfectly happy to play their kids last night, so why wouldnít they do it in the quarter-final? Itís not really much of a comparison is it, be named as the best football club in the world by winning the world super cup or compete in some low-level cup competition which will only give you a Europa place.  They have a huge squad and can compete in both games, with youth coaches or assistants managing the EFL game.

The only way to stop clubs moaning about having too many games to play is for them to be less successful. They cannot have it both ways.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2019, 12:05:50 PM »
I think it will be played the week when the first leg of the semi is scheduled for with the first leg getting pushed back a week and the powers that be praying that neither of us needs a replay from the 3rd round of the FA cup. Knowing how these things happen we'll probably draw each other and draw the match.

Offline danno

« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2019, 12:09:02 PM »
I think they have a point. It's bad enough that they have to play all 38 games to win the league.

If moving the fixture inconveniences us in anyway, withdraw and let them have a two legged semi final to complain about.

Set of ***ts

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »
Also, I'm not sure why Liverpool are getting flack for this (much as I dislike them). It's not their fault they're in two competitions scheduled to play at the same time. The EFL are responsible for scheduling the league cup and should have a contingency for this eventuality. Asking Liverpool to play both at the same time is ludicrous.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »

Hopefully they will have to play there reserves, but knowing the FA, we will be playing on a date that suits them

The draw looks a bit dodgy with Citeh and Yanited getting the easy ties. Surprise, surprise...

Every competition benefits financially when Man U are in it because of the global interest.  Now imagine the hype and advertising potential if it became an all Manchester final.
I like conspiracy theories as much as the next man, but do people seriously think the BBC, Zoe Ball and David James are going to get involved in a fixed draw just to benefit Manchester cluns?  Why on earth would they do that?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »

I like conspiracy theories as much as the next man, but do people seriously think the BBC, Zoe Ball and David James are going to get involved in a fixed draw just to benefit Manchester cluns?  Why on earth would they do that?

Makes no sense chris, but then some people think the earth is round.

A much more appealing and provable theory is that the universe has it in for Aston Villa.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2019, 12:31:22 PM »
Also, I'm not sure why Liverpool are getting flack for this (much as I dislike them). It's not their fault they're in two competitions scheduled to play at the same time. The EFL are responsible for scheduling the league cup and should have a contingency for this eventuality. Asking Liverpool to play both at the same time is ludicrous.

Much as I dislike them, I agree. And it should at least be possible for a team to compete to win every trophy available to them. In the hugely unlikely event that Villa ever find ouselves in that position, I would be annoyed at being forced to withdraw or play a youth team in one competition, especially when you have already made it through as far as the Quarter-Finals.

The fairest thing is clearly to play the game in January.

I'm still hoping for an unfair outcome resulting in Villa getting a bye or playing Liverpool Schoolboys though, obviously.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 12:33:02 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »

Yes, Zoe Ball must be a United fan... I always knew she was in the employ of the lizard people.  Check paranoia levels...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal