collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs VAR Post-Match Thread  (Read 33297 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Aston Villa vs VAR Post-Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2019, 11:02:50 PM »
Today Brighton did what I'd like us to do more often. On paper they played a fairly straight forward 442 but what actually happened is Maupay played 10 yards behind Connolly and then Mooy and Gross (can't be bothered to add the funny character) tucked in alongside him so Targett and Guilbert were forced to tuck in slightly to look after them. That gave their fullbacks had loads of space to run into, Targett struggled more than Guilbert because their right back is decent but the leftback was an out of position centre half who didn't have the pace or quality to take advantage of it. It's a great way of playing against 433 because you can overload the defensive midfielder and force the opposition wide players deeper.

Have to disagree a it Paul, as where I was sat up in the Trinity Road, it looked more like a 4-3-3 that Brighton were playing.  Everything started with their centre halves and as Wesley was up front on his own, it meant one of our wide players or midfielders had to close down as well, leaving us outnumbered either in the wide areas or in midfield.  Fair play to Brighton, they were able to move the ball really well and make the most of the extra man when they had the ball. 

As for us, it was just a bit of a flat performance really and the slow approach play in the second half played right into Brighton's hands.  It was a bit like the West Ham game, where the quality was just not quite there in the final third.

All that said, it wax great to get over the line and get the win.  Just watched the highlights on MOTD and still can't see how he gives a foul against Hourihane (terrible marking for the goal though as you could see up in the Trinity Road that Webster was free) and I can't see how it was clear and obvious that the referee missed a foul on the goalkeeper.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:30:22 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2019, 11:23:59 PM »
After 50 years of going to villa park they still frustrate me...turn me grey...take years off my life..  ..but fuckin hell I still love it....every minute of it and I wouldn't miss it for the world..  how lucky am I to be part of the villa family...live it just love it and to all villa fans in the world I love you....never a better family there could ever be

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2019, 11:27:05 PM »
I clocked Smith at one point late on gesticulating with his fingers at someone, Grealish or McGinn probably, "4, 4, 1, 1", followed by holding up his hands in a full "ten".

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2019, 11:33:34 PM »
Their free-kick was possibly a worse decision than our goal being ruled out. Clearly win the ball both from viewing in the lower holte and replays on TV just now. Whereas I'm surpsied the ref didn't blow up as soon as Wesley jumped, as any form of challenge near a keeper is given as a free kick.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2019, 11:40:54 PM »
Today Brighton did what I'd like us to do more often. On paper they played a fairly straight forward 442 but what actually happened is Maupay played 10 yards behind Connolly and then Mooy and Gross (can't be bothered to add the funny character) tucked in alongside him so Targett and Guilbert were forced to tuck in slightly to look after them. That gave their fullbacks had loads of space to run into, Targett struggled more than Guilbert because their right back is decent but the leftback was an out of position centre half who didn't have the pace or quality to take advantage of it. It's a great way of playing against 433 because you can overload the defensive midfielder and force the opposition wide players deeper.

Have to disagree a it Paul, as where I was sat up in the Trinity Road, it looked more like a 4-3-3 that Brighton were playing.  Everything started with their centre halves and as Wesley was up front on his own, it meant one of our wide players or midfielders had to close down as well, leaving us outnumbered either in the wide areas or in midfield.  Fair play to Brighton, they were able to move the ball really well and make the most of the extra man when they had the ball. 

As for us, it was just a bit of a flat performance really and the slow approach play in the second half played right into Brighton's hands.  It was a bit like the West Ham game, where the quality was just not quite there in the final third.

All that said, it wax great to get over the line and get the win.  Just watched the highlights on MOTD and still can't see how he gives a foul against Hourihane (terrible marking for the goal though as you could see up in the Trinity Road that Webster was free) and I can't see how it was clear and obvious that the referee missed a Gould on the goalkeeper.

That could well be right, it is hard to tell on the TV but I know I spotted Maupay, Gross and Mooy very close together in front of our defence 3-4 times in the first 20 and you could see the indecision it created in our fullbacks of how far to drift inside.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2019, 11:45:09 PM »
You're right Paul. Also, Marvelous was poor first half, and just didn't seem to know what he was supposed to be doing.  He didn't get a grip on things at all.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2019, 12:50:05 AM »
Could not believe the space Brighton were getting in our half, the defence were all standing off, good for us that Mooy got sent off because he was running the show for them. Wesley is a huge concern he makes great runs finds good positions but for me has little skill.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2019, 01:19:55 AM »
Their free-kick was possibly a worse decision than our goal being ruled out. Clearly win the ball both from viewing in the lower holte and replays on TV just now. Whereas I'm surpsied the ref didn't blow up as soon as Wesley jumped, as any form of challenge near a keeper is given as a free kick.

Was a terrible decision to give the foul against Conor. However, I thought it was a blatant foul by Targett on the edge of our box just before it, which should have been a FK in a far more dangerous position. We defended the FK horrifically.

The Wesley one in real time looked to have nothing in it. No Brighton player really appealed for anything.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2019, 01:22:08 AM »
Too many were not on their game. Looked really sluggish and lacking in conviction.

Jack was excellent. String more together like that and he deserve the inevitable England call up.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2019, 01:35:39 AM »
I thought Brighton were very good for large parts of the game. We just didn’t get tight enough in the middle of the park. They waltzed through us too often. I know Connor is a goal threat but when he’s not he doesn’t do his other job well enough at this level. This is more important when Grealish is quite rightly playing a roaming role. He was excellent throughout today. A last minute winner the like Of which I can’t remember. So sweet.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2019, 03:10:19 AM »
I thought Brighton were very good for large parts of the game. We just didn’t get tight enough in the middle of the park. They waltzed through us too often. I know Connor is a goal threat but when he’s not he doesn’t do his other job well enough at this level. This is more important when Grealish is quite rightly playing a roaming role. He was excellent throughout today. A last minute winner the like Of which I can’t remember. So sweet.

We didn't put enough pressure on their deep midfield players in the first half, and allowed them too much room to launch attacks. How much of that is down to Connor, I am not sure, but you may well be right.

As often is the case, we looked very good in patches and DS went for it, which is what most supporters want at VP. Midfield overrun in the first half though, and that has be to be addressed.

Against a very good and well organised team, JG was exceptional.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2019, 03:58:06 AM »
Al Gazi Wesley and Hourihane are not contributing any where near enough.
You really can not carry 3 players at this level.
We were over run by Brighton against 11 and sometimes against 10.
There is a problem and I hope DS realizes this.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2019, 05:04:51 AM »
Poorest performance for a few games but great to get a win. We clearly struggle against 10 men which today was down to AEG just not stretching them enough and Wes was iffy too. However defensively we looked sound. Crossing and general final ball was really poor other than the outstanding player on the field,  Jack Grealish really was different class, ran the show.

England win the rugby and the Villa go back to back. What a weekend!

Offline myf

« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2019, 07:02:55 AM »
how was Mings? looked poor on MOTD highlights

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2019, 07:46:47 AM »
how was Mings? looked poor on MOTD highlights

He had a few dodgy moments, but as a team, first season back up, we're going to, I guess. I just like the fact that he tries to play out from the back, can hit a long pass and is a physical presence.

Plus Brighton were tricky to play against. It's not easy to look completely solid against them. As Spurs found out a few weeks ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal