collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:30:28 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 08:27:14 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 08:14:34 PM]

Robin Olsen by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:11:59 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:07:36 PM]

Official Website by martin o`who??
[Today at 08:03:31 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by AV84
[Today at 07:47:51 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:48:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:30:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:29:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 08:28:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 08:28:45 PM]

[Today at 08:27:32 PM]

Re: Emi Buendia - Injured by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 08:27:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 08:24:43 PM]

[Today at 08:24:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MOTD  (Read 169722 times)

Offline TelfordVilla

Re: MOTD
« Reply #915 on: November 27, 2023, 02:08:32 PM »
Question to older Villa fans with better memories.

At what point in 1980/1 did the penny drop with the media that we were a real threat to winning the league?

I asked my Dad the same thing last night. He didn't really remember but I'm guessing when we were still in the mix at Xmas. I'd also guess there wasn't the same focus in the media (and online obviously) where the contenders are discussed in detail week in, week out.
the media ignored Villa almost to the last 4 games . They were certain that Ipswich would win the league. They wrote Liverpool off after wr beat them at home but all along they were only focussed on Ipswich.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #916 on: November 27, 2023, 02:11:00 PM »
Danny Murphy has been complimentary about us a quite a few times.  I know he's a miserable git but tbh I think he's a decent pundit.

Agree he's not the worst, even though he doesn't seem keen on us. He does always look like he lost a pound and found a penny though.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #917 on: November 27, 2023, 02:12:03 PM »

At what point in 1980/1 did the penny drop with the media that we were a real threat to winning the league?

I asked my Dad the same thing last night. He didn't really remember but I'm guessing when we were still in the mix at Xmas. I'd also guess there wasn't the same focus in the media (and online obviously) where the contenders are discussed in detail week in, week out.
the media ignored Villa almost to the last 4 games . They were certain that Ipswich would win the league. They wrote Liverpool off after wr beat them at home but all along they were only focussed on Ipswich.
Look how many Villa players had been called up for England at that time.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #918 on: November 27, 2023, 02:13:32 PM »
Danny Murphy has been complimentary about us a quite a few times.  I know he's a miserable git but tbh I think he's a decent pundit.

Agree he's not the worst, even though he doesn't seem keen on us. He does always look like he lost a pound and found a penny though.
I think that's part of his shtick though.  A bit like Roy Keane and Chris Sutton.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #919 on: November 27, 2023, 05:18:51 PM »
Listening to Hawksbee and Jacobs with Danny Kelly this afternoon I noted that the tone is slightly changing towards the Villa now that we are no longer the soft and cuddly hard luck well played didn't deserve to lose type of team. I think there are two Spurs and a chelsea fan in that trio and Spurs  guys couldn't understand why they didn't win and Chelsea fans  said "there is nothing much about the Villa, saw them win at our place and the main difference is Villa have a goal scorer nothing else"

You can tell they don't like it up em, as Corporal Jones would say.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #920 on: November 27, 2023, 05:29:56 PM »
I'm sure Warnock said he'd watched some training sessions with us in the summer, then came out with that prediction that none of his colleagues did. So it was an informed opinion from an ex-pro, something totally absent from his peers.

Although this tastes like shit in my mouth - after our big loss at Newcastle the redfacedcnut Fergiscum came out with a comment that he thought were a great team - i actually thought he was taking the piss.

I may of been wrong.

H&J just (who i usually really like) suggested we are a flash in the pan and they were not convinced - there is a common denominator  - Spurs and Chelsea fans respectively who just happened to have been beaten at home this season by the mighty Villa

Oh and last season as well in case they think it was a fluke  ;D

We have 4 wins away from home v those pair London luvvies this calendar year.

1980/1 probably 2 weeks before we actually won it. Although I was only little at the time

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #921 on: November 27, 2023, 06:44:08 PM »
WTF's happened to Danny Mills?  Couldn't stop praising Vila tonight.

It was Danny Murphy Dave, so rest easy everyone, Danny Mills is still an absolute bellend.

I can never get beyond that face. It's more than miserable, it's almost disgust.

He looks like someone has put out the candles on his birthday cake by farting on them, then just as he's realising there are no more matches, that person has followed through.

Good grief! I wonder has this ever happened anywhere in the history of humanity. Probably to some poor bastard in Botswana in the early 1960s.

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #922 on: November 27, 2023, 06:49:21 PM »
He looks like someone has put out the candles on his birthday cake by farting on them, then just as he's realising there are no more matches, that person has followed through.

Good grief! I wonder has this ever happened anywhere in the history of humanity. Probably to some poor bastard in Botswana in the early 1960s.

You haven't read Rory's admissions in the 'Naive moments' thread?

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #923 on: November 27, 2023, 06:50:14 PM »
I might be a miserablist but this does remind me a little bit of that season under Gregory when we were top at Christmas before falling away to 6th.  Now, in terms of the coach there is no comparison.  But in terms of the squad strength I think it does.  The team is getting results on what looks like empty - a great trait to have.  But, I cannot help but have this nagging feeling that we are two or three short still.  We need to sign Muzzy Izzet as soon as the window opens. 
And Benny McCarthy as back up for Watkins

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #924 on: November 27, 2023, 07:12:18 PM »
Listening to Hawksbee and Jacobs with Danny Kelly this afternoon I noted that the tone is slightly changing towards the Villa now that we are no longer the soft and cuddly hard luck well played didn't deserve to lose type of team. I think there are two Spurs and a chelsea fan in that trio and Spurs  guys couldn't understand why they didn't win and Chelsea fans  said "there is nothing much about the Villa, saw them win at our place and the main difference is Villa have a goal scorer nothing else"

You can tell they don't like it up em, as Corporal Jones would say.
i don't know who he is but without doing any further research he sounds like a bell end

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #925 on: November 27, 2023, 07:20:00 PM »
Danny Kelly i don’t  find too bad generally,  but we did a job on both chelsea sand Spurs where we were patchy but scored the goals .  But to ignore other games this season, Brighton and West Ham for example ,  it just comes across as bitter

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #926 on: November 27, 2023, 07:34:05 PM »
Listening to Hawksbee and Jacobs with Danny Kelly this afternoon...

i don't know who he is but without doing any further research he sounds like a bell end

Not a Talksport listener, but I believe he likes a bit of polemic and is prone to offering opinions without substance, mostly just to get a reaction.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #927 on: November 27, 2023, 07:52:24 PM »

Never forget that we didn't actually win the league. It was Ipswich that lost it. After all, we lost our final game, so that proves it - or so supporters of other clubs said at the time

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #928 on: November 27, 2023, 08:01:01 PM »

I am pretty sure Jimmy Greaves was a rare pundit who could see Villa had a squad capable of winning The Boat Race © Ron Saunders

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #929 on: November 27, 2023, 08:41:12 PM »
I'm sure Warnock said he'd watched some training sessions with us in the summer, then came out with that prediction that none of his colleagues did. So it was an informed opinion from an ex-pro, something totally absent from his peers.

Although this tastes like shit in my mouth - after our big loss at Newcastle the redfacedcnut Fergiscum came out with a comment that he thought were a great team - i actually thought he was taking the piss.

I may of been wrong.

H&J just (who i usually really like) suggested we are a flash in the pan and they were not convinced - there is a common denominator  - Spurs and Chelsea fans respectively who just happened to have been beaten at home this season by the mighty Villa

Oh and last season as well in case they think it was a fluke  ;D

We have 4 wins away from home v those pair London luvvies this calendar year.

1980/1 probably 2 weeks before we actually won it. Although I was only little at the time
I was 26 at the time and hardly missed a game. 2 weeks is about right though. Speaking with Sir Dennis last year he said they knew they stood the best chance of the title after the Liverpool game...and I think an awful lot of us thought exactly the same!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal