collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MOTD  (Read 169606 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: MOTD
« Reply #900 on: November 27, 2023, 10:46:13 AM »
I don't think we look like we are on empty - I think it's more a case of getting results when we're not actually playing well, which is one of the major differences between a decent side and a very good one.

It's the element which has been missing for Villa sides for years and years. There have been so many matches under Emery where I've thought "under *insert any one of god knows how many former managers here, even ones who did well for us* we'd have lost that".

To be honest this season, that hasn't happened all that often. We've either just been at home and mostly smashed teams into obvlivion, or we've been away and played badly and lost/drew. I think the only two games where the scoreline slightly flattered us was Palace at home, and yesterday, the rest we've pretty much got what we deserved, both wins and defeats.

The Palace game we'd have 100% lost under any manager previously, and we'd have probably shit ourselves and dropped points when West Ham and Brighton pulled it back to 2-1.

3-1 Brighton.

Sorry yes, thank you Mr Logic

Haha, sorry mate.

Offline AV84

« Reply #901 on: November 27, 2023, 10:48:31 AM »
I don't think he was tipping us for greatness but I remember Ben Foster saying at the start of the season that he'd seen a few of our pre season games in the US and he was very impressed with what he saw.

I think in general, good or bad, you can tell which pundits have actually been watching us on a regular basis, even last season, compared to the ones who are just so used to the "top6" narrative that they are being caught out repeatedly this season when they have to discuss a team other than the old reliables.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #902 on: November 27, 2023, 10:56:20 AM »
Sue Smith - one of the few women pundits I like.  As for Carney yesterday dear God.  She was talking like she was in the aforementioned Jolly Fitter.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #903 on: November 27, 2023, 11:06:58 AM »
Thought the analysis was decent on MOTD for a change. Correctly identifying that we destroyed them at set piece time, though Emery would have done well to guess Dier would stay on the bench and Spurs would play four full backs instead. Watkins exploited that well for his goal too, coming short to tease Davies out of position and taking full advantage. Don't think our performance warranted over the top praise, stayed in the game after a very rocky first 30 mins but still a bit too loose out of possession. Even when not at our best these days we still create a lot of changes.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #904 on: November 27, 2023, 01:09:23 PM »
It didn't warrant over the top praise, no, but they could have analysed some of our better moments more than they did.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #905 on: November 27, 2023, 01:32:55 PM »
I'm sure Warnock said he'd watched some training sessions with us in the summer, then came out with that prediction that none of his colleagues did. So it was an informed opinion from an ex-pro, something totally absent from his peers.

Although this tastes like shit in my mouth - after our big loss at Newcastle the redfacedcnut Fergiscum came out with a comment that he thought were a great team - i actually thought he was taking the piss.

I may of been wrong.

H&J just (who i usually really like) suggested we are a flash in the pan and they were not convinced - there is a common denominator  - Spurs and Chelsea fans respectively who just happened to have been beaten at home this season by the mighty Villa

Oh and last season as well in case they think it was a fluke  ;D

Question to older Villa fans with better memories.

At what point in 1980/1 did the penny drop with the media that we were a real threat to winning the league?

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #906 on: November 27, 2023, 01:36:31 PM »
I thought after we beat Liverpool at home in January 1981.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #907 on: November 27, 2023, 01:37:31 PM »
I'm sure Warnock said he'd watched some training sessions with us in the summer, then came out with that prediction that none of his colleagues did. So it was an informed opinion from an ex-pro, something totally absent from his peers.

Although this tastes like shit in my mouth - after our big loss at Newcastle the redfacedcnut Fergiscum came out with a comment that he thought were a great team - i actually thought he was taking the piss.

I may of been wrong.

H&J just (who i usually really like) suggested we are a flash in the pan and they were not convinced - there is a common denominator  - Spurs and Chelsea fans respectively who just happened to have been beaten at home this season by the mighty Villa

Oh and last season as well in case they think it was a fluke  ;D

At what point in 1980/1 did the penny drop with the media that we were a real threat to winning the league?

I wasn’t old enough but seem to recall many comments on here it was after the home win against Liverpool in January.

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #908 on: November 27, 2023, 01:38:19 PM »

yeah , i thought he was half cut / taking the piss too .

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #909 on: November 27, 2023, 01:39:10 PM »

He was right though.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #910 on: November 27, 2023, 01:43:17 PM »

I asked my Dad the same thing last night. He didn't really remember but I'm guessing when we were still in the mix at Xmas. I'd also guess there wasn't the same focus in the media (and online obviously) where the contenders are discussed in detail week in, week out.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #911 on: November 27, 2023, 01:47:59 PM »
I thought after we beat Liverpool at home in January 1981.

It was after that game - and it was on MOTD. I think the players have also commented it was the moment they really started to believe. I think we won another six on the bounce after that.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #912 on: November 27, 2023, 01:59:41 PM »
WTF's happened to Danny Mills?  Couldn't stop praising Vila tonight.

It was Danny Murphy Dave, so rest easy everyone, Danny Mills is still an absolute bellend.
Danny Murphy has been complimentary about us a quite a few times.  I know he's a miserable git but tbh I think he's a decent pundit.

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #913 on: November 27, 2023, 02:01:16 PM »

He was right though.
He was , and in fairness he does know a thing or two about the game

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #914 on: November 27, 2023, 02:06:50 PM »
WTF's happened to Danny Mills?  Couldn't stop praising Vila tonight.

It was Danny Murphy Dave, so rest easy everyone, Danny Mills is still an absolute bellend.
Danny Murphy has been complimentary about us a quite a few times.  I know he's a miserable git but tbh I think he's a decent pundit.

I can never get beyond that face. It's more than miserable, it's almost disgust.

He looks like someone has put out the candles on his birthday cake by farting on them, then just as he's realising there are no more matches, that person has followed through.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal