collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MOTD  (Read 169701 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: MOTD
« Reply #795 on: November 13, 2023, 10:49:50 AM »
Also if there is one thing I hate about this place it's the amount of grammatical/spelling corrections that get highlighted for point scoring against so called controversial/annoying posters in particular.  Some people are good at English, some people are not.  Some people need to relax.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:52:20 AM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #796 on: November 13, 2023, 10:52:51 AM »
And as if to emphasise the point, I made my own grammatical error.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #797 on: November 13, 2023, 10:55:03 AM »
Also if there is one thing I hate about this place it's the amount of grammatical/spelling corrections that get highlighted for point scoring against so called controversial/annoying posters in particular.  Some people are good at English, some people are not.  Some people need to relax.

Ha, I like that you felt you needed to edit that.

It's perfectly okay to start a sentence with also in both formal and informal writing, as long as that sentence continues the same train of thought as the previous sentence.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #798 on: November 13, 2023, 10:56:11 AM »
:-)

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #799 on: November 13, 2023, 11:05:15 AM »
Ian Wright didn't know Douglas second name and had to be prompted, arrogant twat

60 year old man momentarily forgets a players surname and he's an arrogant twat?

Have a look in the mirror.

The grammatical error in his post suggests to me he’s not sure how to express his name correctly in this context.
go on then Grammar Police teach us how it's done

Douglas’s or Douglas’ …either could have been used. It wouldn’t normally bother me but as you pilloried Ian Wright for momentarily forgetting his name I thought it a good reason to make the point.
He wouldn't have forgotten an Arsenal players surname, it was a subtle (or not so) put down of little old Aston Villa and their collection of spirited but unheard of players . Wanker. (ian Wright, not you). close brackets.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #800 on: November 13, 2023, 11:13:52 AM »
Also if there is one thing I hate about this place it's the amount of grammatical/spelling corrections that get highlighted for point scoring.
It doesn't really happen a lot though, does it?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #801 on: November 13, 2023, 11:17:57 AM »
I like Ian Wright. He champions the women's game, he just seems like a decent, down-to-earth person too. Not sure if you've ever seen the video of him with his first teacher, who he'd not seen for a long time, but it was really touching.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #802 on: November 13, 2023, 11:18:43 AM »
It happens too often.  I suspect you’ve chosen to comment because if there was a special tribunal for this sort of thing you would be in the dock.  It’s not a big deal I just don’t happen to think it’s necessary.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #803 on: November 13, 2023, 11:19:29 AM »
I like Ian Wright. He champions the women's game, he just seems like a decent, down-to-earth person too. Not sure if you've ever seen the video of him with his first teacher, who he'd not seen for a long time, but it was really touching.

Yes that was brilliant.  He’s just an ordinary guy underneath.

Online Simon Page

« Reply #804 on: November 13, 2023, 11:23:40 AM »
It's very hard to resist upsetting Kippax right now, even if them doesn't know the rule on proper nouns, but I'll rise above it...

He wouldn't have forgotten an Arsenal players surname, it was a subtle (or not so) put down of little old Aston Villa and their collection of spirited but unheard of players . Wanker. (ian Wright, not you). close brackets.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #805 on: November 13, 2023, 11:24:57 AM »
It happens too often.  I suspect you’ve chosen to comment because if there was a special tribunal for this sort of thing you would be in the dock.  It’s not a big deal I just don’t happen to think it’s necessary.
Making things up now. I rarely do this sort of thing as I'd be spending all day on it

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #806 on: November 13, 2023, 11:36:50 AM »

Yes that was brilliant.  He’s just an ordinary guy underneath.
Seems a top guy to me and yes that video is special.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #807 on: November 13, 2023, 11:48:37 AM »
Ian Wright didn't know Douglas second name and had to be prompted, arrogant twat

60 year old man momentarily forgets a players surname and he's an arrogant twat?

The grammatical error in his post suggests to me he’s not sure how to express his name correctly in this context.

Douglas’s or Douglas’ …either could have been used. It wouldn’t normally bother me but as you pilloried Ian Wright for momentarily forgetting his name I thought it a good reason to make the point.

I'm sure he wouldn't as he is after all an Arsenal supporter.  Wright is usually very complimentary of our club and now the way we play the game. After years of being dismissed as nothing more than cannon fodder for the bigger clubs we are starting to get recognition.  A few more seasons like this and he along with the rest will know our team's Christian names, second names, confirmation names, nick names and inside leg measurements. For the record, the only full name of an Arsenal player I can recall is Declan Rice.  Nkethia I believe is a very good player for them but I haven't a scooby what his first name is. 

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #808 on: November 13, 2023, 12:02:18 PM »

I'm sure he wouldn't as he is after all an Arsenal supporter.  Wright is usually very complimentary of our club and now the way we play the game. After years of being dismissed as nothing more than cannon fodder for the bigger clubs we are starting to get recognition.  A few more seasons like this and he along with the rest will know our team's Christian names, second names, confirmation names, nick names and inside leg measurements. For the record, the only full name of an Arsenal player I can recall is Declan Rice.  Nkethia I believe is a very good player for them but I haven't a scooby what his first name is.
I'm sure he's also miffed that Luiz turned down Arsenal in Jan. That pissed off the Arsenal fan base.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #809 on: November 13, 2023, 12:38:55 PM »
I routinely forget my own kids' names, so I'll let Ian Wright off for a solitary senior moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal