collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MOTD  (Read 169620 times)

Offline malckennedy

Re: MOTD
« Reply #720 on: October 09, 2023, 07:39:01 AM »
If you're looking for media bias, try the Grauniad.

Went on their website after Thursday's game to read their report. Oops! There wasn't one. Every other English team playing in Europe that night had one.

Did the same after the Wolves game. Four PL games on Sunday. Guess which one the Graun missed out on?

Perhaps they've forgotten that we exist.

I read the Guardian’s report on the Wolves match last evening.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #722 on: October 09, 2023, 09:37:26 AM »
Danny Murphy does get a fair bit of stick in these parts, some of it justified most of it not. In his Watkins’ analysis last night he stated he had a great game. He hadn’t seen it had he?

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #723 on: October 09, 2023, 09:45:13 AM »
If you're looking for media bias, try the Grauniad.

Went on their website after Thursday's game to read their report. Oops! There wasn't one. Every other English team playing in Europe that night had one.

Did the same after the Wolves game. Four PL games on Sunday. Guess which one the Graun missed out on?

Perhaps they've forgotten that we exist.

Last spring they had Live Score updates SF stage of Euro Comps Europa and Conf and didn't have the latter which Hammers were playing in. It is really poor - you can't tell who has been substituted off on their summary.

I read the Guardian’s report on the Wolves match last evening.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #724 on: October 09, 2023, 09:53:27 AM »
You get more in depth reporting in the Guardian if you're a fan of Barca or Real Madrid than most English teams.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #725 on: October 09, 2023, 09:55:13 AM »
Danny Murphy does get a fair bit of stick in these parts, some of it justified most of it not. In his Watkins’ analysis last night he stated he had a great game. He hadn’t seen it had he?

He saw the highlights of the early shot that was well saved, the assist, the push chance and the late finish onto the post. He wouldn't have seen the mis-controls or other things for the full 90 that pretty much every player does.

Online Dave

« Reply #726 on: October 09, 2023, 09:58:44 AM »
You get more in depth reporting in the Guardian if you're a fan of Barca or Real Madrid than most English teams.

I imagine you can substitute the Guardian there with the name of pretty much every media outlet.

Offline AV84

« Reply #727 on: October 09, 2023, 09:58:46 AM »

I saw a fair few things during the week where it looked like people decided they wanted to talk about Villa off the back of the Brighton game. Problem for them was that we reveted to the off week setting and didn't fit their preplanned analysis.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #728 on: October 09, 2023, 10:08:37 AM »
To be honest we really haven't looked consistently great away at any point this season, even in the games we've won. There's a massive disparity between our home and away form, and if we could close that gap (by making the away performances better) we'd be even higher in the table.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #729 on: October 09, 2023, 10:14:24 AM »

I've never got the attraction of fans here being so interested in the likes of Madrid and Barcelona etc. I couldn't give a flying shite about any European club and their comings and goings. I'd have more interest in the Championship than the German, Spanish leagues etc.

Online LeeB

« Reply #730 on: October 09, 2023, 10:21:15 AM »

I've never got the attraction of fans here being so interested in the likes of Madrid and Barcelona etc. I couldn't give a flying shite about any European club and their comings and goings. I'd have more interest in the Championship than the German, Spanish leagues etc.

I know, but it suits the hipster, cereal cafe, unicycling types it seems.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #731 on: October 09, 2023, 10:22:41 AM »

Me too.  I used to love - and still love - the results & tables page in the newspaper.  I'll spend ages poring over every inch of it, looking at scores, attendances, goalscorers ... everything really, from the top division down to as far down as it goes.  I loved it when we were going through New Street after a game (either cos we'd played away or were going to visit my grandparents after) cos it meant we'd get a copy of the Argus and I could take great interest in the results & league tables of the Festival League and whatnot.  Likewise with the Scottish & Welsh leagues, I love checking up on how teams are doing in the Scottish 3rd Division, what their attendances are like, etc etc.

Still do the same when I visit my parents, they get the local paper (Mid Wales Journal) every week - I spend any visit intensively reading up on developments in the Mid Wales League (South) and soforth.

But anything off this island?  It can get to fuck.  I've no interest whatsoever in what happens in football abroad outside of a World Cup or European Championships.

Online Dave

« Reply #732 on: October 09, 2023, 10:29:06 AM »

I know, but it suits the hipster, cereal cafe, unicycling types it seems.

Or, just people that like football.

Online LeeB

« Reply #733 on: October 09, 2023, 10:31:30 AM »
I with you both, I couldn't give a shiny shit about games elsewhere.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #734 on: October 09, 2023, 10:31:58 AM »
To be honest we really haven't looked consistently great away at any point this season, even in the games we've won. There's a massive disparity between our home and away form, and if we could close that gap (by making the away performances better) we'd be even higher in the table.

Is the away form that bad? Two wins and a draw from hard fought local derby isn't too bad from first 5 games.

Last season the away form was atrocious under captain calamity and that gave us an uphill task but we've lost very few aways under Emery.

Someone will probably point out what Spurs are doing. They've won 3/5 but had the chance to play Luton and Bournemouth already which we haven't so it should balance out over time.

I don't really get why we weren't at home yesterday. Everton and Man. United have both had back to back home games in last week (as did Wolves) so it seems odd that we have to wait until end of October to play the same number of homes as away in the league, just playing three at VP so far has hampered us a bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal