collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MOTD  (Read 169541 times)

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

Re: MOTD
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2023, 10:22:45 AM »
Was there any post that didn’t relate to the MOTD situation Hookey?

There are other threads.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2023, 10:29:10 AM »
MOTD2 will be much reduced format again tonight.

Viewing figures were up last night from 2.1m to 2.6m. That could be down to being starved of football coverage in the day to simple curiosity from some. Expect it to get trotted out by some tories as " the public supports us".

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #302 on: March 12, 2023, 10:33:50 AM »
I only ever watch MOTD after I've recorded it and fast forward through everything other than the football and the analysis of our game. And that's only if we have a favourable result.  I don't bother if we've lost.

I watched  bit of it last night albeit 3 parts pissed. It just came across as a highlights package.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #303 on: March 12, 2023, 10:34:14 AM »
Sorry, forgot to add:

Tory Bastards!

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #304 on: March 12, 2023, 10:40:03 AM »
Have I missed something here; Lineker (seemingly with the BBC’s support) was ok to criticise Qatar on the hosting of the World Cup during the opening ceremony  based upon a host of reasons but not ok to raise a political point about a Conservative government policy? Are these mutually exclusive political points; as in, it’s ok to have a view about one political matter, but not another?
Lineker is allowed to criticise Qatar etc but not allowed to criticise the Conservative government as they are (apparently) his employers, indirectly. His contract requires him to be impartial in political affairs concerning the government of the day.
And Qatar is them foreign people and Muslim as well so fair game as they are bound to be doing something wrong unlike that decent kind hearted ultra intelligent Suella and Co.

Online coreyfeldman

« Reply #305 on: March 12, 2023, 10:40:10 AM »
A genuine question for the moderator's

Can we not agree on a rule to keep the football discussion threads politics free. Every post descends into some lengthy political rant about how shit the government is or endless statistics cut and pasted to prove / disprove thier own or someone else's point.

Surely there are many threads that are in off topic that relate to the political temperature of the day to not have to bog down what is a brilliant football discussion site.

Could we please have a political free football board as the political rantings are becoming tiresome and are just not enjoyable anymore

If you say that then you'd have to stop the pun-athons that usually last for 2 or 3 pages before getting back on topic. Though I'm not sure if you're being ironic, if you are then fair play

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #306 on: March 12, 2023, 10:40:36 AM »
A genuine question for the moderator's

Can we not agree on a rule to keep the football discussion threads politics free. Every post descends into some lengthy political rant about how shit the government is or endless statistics cut and pasted to prove / disprove thier own or someone else's point.

What exactly were you expecting to find in a thread about Match Of The Day given the news cycle of the last 72 hours?

And to answer your original, no, we cannot agree on that rule. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #307 on: March 12, 2023, 10:42:59 AM »
“Can the moderators agree that we only talk about football rather than politics on a thread which is about politics more than football?”

Online olaftab

« Reply #308 on: March 12, 2023, 10:44:45 AM »
Excellent post markeeeebeeee2005
Yes indeed, superb.There is an impression formed in publics mind by our totally irresponsible Government that these hordes are rampaging through Europe aided and abetted by those governments to get to UK. This is never challenged by the media and true facts never told for balance.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #309 on: March 12, 2023, 10:47:10 AM »
Hookey, if you’re still here (you are aren’t you).

Feel free to set out a different point of view. You can start with my post if you like 😉. Just don’t ask for silence if anybody decides to respond to you. It’s a dangerous path.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #310 on: March 12, 2023, 10:51:27 AM »
I think one of the beauties of H & V threads is that they can digress off in any direction.
You go to catch up on Rat Boy or Tyrone Mings and the lastest pages are a punfest on fish or a debate on red or brown sauce.
As far as politics should be kept out of sport. I've been hearing that since the 1960s, often but not always from people who would happily have seen apartheid still existing today in South Africa.

Online olaftab

« Reply #311 on: March 12, 2023, 10:53:27 AM »
A chance to watch Sully again. Thank you Gary.

You're welcome, it's also on Tuesday at 10.40pm if you want to watch it again.
Cheers Gary. I do my hair on Tuesdays so will set up the VCR. Do you know the recording code?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #312 on: March 12, 2023, 10:55:38 AM »
Did anyone watch MOTD. what was it like? I stopped watching years ago around the time Lineker started presenting. He was awful in the early years but became quite good and on the odd occasion I do watch I like him.   

It was crap. 

That bastion of truth John Redwood said it was great so one of you isn’t telling the truth.

I preferred it and would be happy if it continued, just make it longer, say 40 mins to an hour depending on the number of games.

They can't though. The reason to have the in-house team is for filler as in most cases they use the limit of the amount of highlights they can show a match contractually.

TBH, the show probably  became an irrelevance the moment the Sky Sports website  (plus others) could show the goals to people for free within an hour of the game finishing. Prior to that MotD used to be the only place to see the goals for a second time if at the match or first time if not.

Ah I see, fair enough.

I too get fucked off with political stuff entering our otherwise great football chat but thankfully it doesn’t really happen outside of some of the off topic threads which are dedicated to it. In this case it couldn’t really be avoided and I think is a good topic to discuss.

Online olaftab

« Reply #313 on: March 12, 2023, 10:55:40 AM »
Left wing, right wing  can we not just agree Lineker is a complete wanker?

The post above about <removed> sums him up
No, he is not a wanker and please don’t include the rest of us in your silly comments. Anyone who is prepared to give up their means of earning to fight for a cause has to be admired.

Including the Taliban and other terrorist groups?  Not everyone or everything has to politicised and not everyone who disagrees is  a Tory apologist.

Given one of the main points of contention here was an inapt comparison, I find your choice of the Taliban rather interesting.
Thanks Rory. Yes a ridiculous comparison.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #314 on: March 12, 2023, 10:57:01 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how this ends. Presumably the BBC's contract with the Premier League is going to include certain requirements about promotion of their brand and style of coverage.

So if this carries on much longer surely the BBC is likely to find themselves in breach of contract?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal