collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread  (Read 169248 times)

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread
« Reply #735 on: July 25, 2021, 06:34:32 PM »
The Hundred is a shortened version of the t20 Blast but jazzed up to fuck with the weird colours.  I don't like it.  I am sure I may be in the minority.

I'm not keen either, Steve. Not that I don't think it's any good, it's still cricket, but nothing that couldn't have been done by revamping the 'Blast', in my view.

I agree Rory.  It really only a 20 ball shorter game than the t20.  What's the point?  Got to be for money and selling around the world.  Do away with T20 if that's the case because there won't be enough time to play 50 over games or T20.  Love cricket but we can do without the Hundred.

With the trend moving ever towards shortening the game, no doubt the next innovation will be some version of the bowl-off. One 15-ball over per side, only three fielders allowed, and the outfield made of trampoline.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #736 on: July 25, 2021, 06:53:16 PM »
Phoenix having a mare here

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #737 on: July 26, 2021, 10:12:45 AM »
Watched the Sky Coverage of The Hundred featuring the Men's Birmingham team. They really need to dial down the bullshit, a difficult job I grant you with Flintoff around but you also have Rob Key claiming players are describing the games as the best atmosphere they have ever played in. It's taking the viewers for absolute mugs with this sort of rubbish, the atmosphere is no better or worse than the Blast and as ever, the state of the game dictates the atmosphere. I think the wave of negativity has meant that the broadcasters are attempting to counter it with their own version of hyperbolic positivity but I found it disingenuous and hollow.

It still a game of cricket so I'll watch some more of the matches but the idea that we are watching something revolutionary for the game is fanciful to say the least.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #738 on: July 26, 2021, 11:44:05 AM »
For those who prefer a more traditional game of cricket, Worcs v Kent yesterday in the Royal London Cup takes a lot of beating. The teams are made up of younger players and a few senior players who weren't picked by any of the Hundred teams. Yesterday's game at New Road had no razzmatazz, no gimmicks, no beer snakes, no international stars, but was a thrilling contest from start to finish with 645 runs in 100 overs and a Worcs win in the last over.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #739 on: July 26, 2021, 09:05:18 PM »
Anyone watching tonights hundred game Trent Rockets v Northern Superchargers?  Rockets chasing the game and Alex Hales facing, hits a single as a intruder runs on the pitch, Ben Stokes protests and the ball is called dead resulting in the ball being re-bowled.  Ball gets re-bowled and Hales gives it welly straight down Stokes's throat out on the boundary who promptly drops it for six.  Should have let them have the single.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #740 on: July 28, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »
I've been thoroughly enjoying The Hundred. The Women's tournament has surprised me as being very competitive (I'm developing a crush on Lauren Bell
 and Smriti Mandhana of Southern Brave, as well a Jemimah Rodrigues of Northern Superchargers).

It's refreshing to see players the are new to me. Crowds are decent to excellent too, though it'll be interesting to see what happens when the Test players go away.

Offline tricky59

« Reply #741 on: July 28, 2021, 12:15:06 PM »
For those who prefer a more traditional game of cricket, Worcs v Kent yesterday in the Royal London Cup takes a lot of beating. The teams are made up of younger players and a few senior players who weren't picked by any of the Hundred teams. Yesterday's game at New Road had no razzmatazz, no gimmicks, no beer snakes, no international stars, but was a thrilling contest from start to finish with 645 runs in 100 overs and a Worcs win in the last over.
I went to this game too. It was cracking game of cricket.  The fielding was of the highest quality. Tremendous value for a tenner. All round wonderful day out.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #742 on: July 29, 2021, 01:46:33 PM »
Turning in to an interesting game at Edgbaston today. Early on it looked like 250 would be a good score with a fair bit of turn and variable bounce for the slow bowlers but Lamb and Ethan Brookes have got things going in the last 15 so after 46 it's sat at:

273/5
Lamb 97 (91)
E. Brookes 63 (64)

Earlier Yates kept his good form going with a run a ball 72.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #743 on: July 29, 2021, 06:06:32 PM »
Turned into a brilliant game, Bears set them 303 and up to the 2nd wicket they looked well on course to make it but we finished with some superb bowling (against some pretty terrible batting) to take the win by 7.

3 each for Rhodes and Garrett who bowled superbly and some fantastic bowling by Bethell who only got 1 but played a big part in slowing the scoring, which is pretty impressive given his age.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #744 on: July 30, 2021, 10:35:19 AM »
Turned into a brilliant game, Bears set them 303 and up to the 2nd wicket they looked well on course to make it but we finished with some superb bowling (against some pretty terrible batting) to take the win by 7.

3 each for Rhodes and Garrett who bowled superbly and some fantastic bowling by Bethell who only got 1 but played a big part in slowing the scoring, which is pretty impressive given his age.
A special mention should go to skipper Will Rhodes who bowled 10 consecutive overs at the end of the game, really under pressure with trying to captain the side and also
concentrate on his own bowling, he bowled extremely well. Lady Luck maybe shining down on the Bears for a change when Klein injured himself going for a second in the penultimate over. He decided to try and carry on with a runner, when he was clearly struggling to even stand. Garrett then bowling him. That was essentially game over. Old Bear Chris Wright was never gonna come in and get the runs.
A great win and a great day of cricket.

Sorry but.....Fcuk The Hundred

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #745 on: July 31, 2021, 12:44:46 AM »
No need to apologise!

Offline PGW

« Reply #746 on: August 03, 2021, 11:48:47 AM »
Brilliant start for Bears up in York, especially for George Garrett, Yorks 0/2 in first over.

Unfortunately currently no further wickets have fallen with Yorks 46/2 11.2

Bears won toss and chose to bowl.

Offline PGW

« Reply #747 on: August 03, 2021, 12:22:10 PM »
95/3 20

Ed Pollock runs out Duke

Offline PGW

« Reply #748 on: August 03, 2021, 12:33:41 PM »
114/4 23.4
Ballance LBW Mousley 54

Offline paul_e

« Reply #749 on: August 03, 2021, 12:39:21 PM »
114/4 23.4
Ballance LBW Mousley 54

big wicket that one, this yorkshire team has 3 genuine tailenders so we're a wicket or 2 from putting them under a lot of pressure this early in the innings.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal