collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread  (Read 169294 times)

Offline Villafirst

Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread
« Reply #1065 on: September 24, 2021, 11:45:35 PM »
I manged to get there just after the tea break and saw the last two wickets fall and the trophy presentation. What a great performance by the Bears. They all stepped up!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1066 on: September 24, 2021, 11:50:13 PM »
My mother would have been so delighted! She died in January 2019 and her ashes are scattered at Edgbaston, so in one sense she was there today
You mum sounds a fantastic lady. Bless her soul.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1067 on: September 25, 2021, 02:11:01 AM »
I don't care what happens with dates but they absolutely have to keep this format for the championship, the last couple of rounds have been superb entertainment with the title race going until nearly the last hour of the season, this is how you get fans interested in watching the longer format.

This game combined with lancs v hants is the best title race I've ever followed because it's gone one way and the other consistently over the 4 days.

Agree to an extent Paul, but I think Warwickshire's involvement in the title race probably magnified interest for most of us on here.  Not sure that would be the case if your team were in the second or third tiers, but at least some effort is being made.   

I recently read an article in which the County Championship was described as "the goose that is not able to lay its golden eggs" and the ECB seem to have treated it like an unwanted child at times, but hopefully this is something that can be built on. 

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #1068 on: September 25, 2021, 05:42:35 AM »
I don't care what happens with dates but they absolutely have to keep this format for the championship, the last couple of rounds have been superb entertainment with the title race going until nearly the last hour of the season, this is how you get fans interested in watching the longer format.

This game combined with lancs v hants is the best title race I've ever followed because it's gone one way and the other consistently over the 4 days.

Agree to an extent Paul, but I think Warwickshire's involvement in the title race probably magnified interest for most of us on here.  Not sure that would be the case if your team were in the second or third tiers, but at least some effort is being made.   

I recently read an article in which the County Championship was described as "the goose that is not able to lay its golden eggs" and the ECB seem to have treated it like an unwanted child at times, but hopefully this is something that can be built on. 

It’s going to be interesting to see how next season’s fixtures will shape up, what with the Blast Final on 16th July. No doubt a repeat of this season with red ball cricket marginalised at the alter of white ball cricket. So the Blast will dominate June & half of July and the Hundred takes the rest of July and August.

So red ball cricket gets played in the months when swing and seam dominate and we wonder why we don’t produce quality test batsmen.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1069 on: September 25, 2021, 09:20:44 AM »

Maybe but I still think that going into the last round of fixtures with 4 teams capable of winning the title is a massive improvement and I think just how exciting a finish it was caught a lot of people by surprise.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1070 on: September 25, 2021, 09:26:06 AM »
Quite often you have two or three teams in title contention with another half a dozen battling relegation or trying to win promotion. This format was great at the top level but it still left two thirds of the teams with nothing to play for in the final four games. The format is excellent in the top division but rubbish if you don't qualify. I'd rather go back to proper promotion and relegation.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1071 on: September 25, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
Quite often you have two or three teams in title contention with another half a dozen battling relegation or trying to win promotion. This format was great at the top level but it still left two thirds of the teams with nothing to play for in the final four games. The format is excellent in the top division but rubbish if you don't qualify. I'd rather go back to proper promotion and relegation.

Agree CD.  It has been great for Bears fans this season, but the 2nd and 3rd tiers were just really playing out the season in pretty much dead rubbers.  I accept that there would be dead rubbers in pretty much every format that could be devised (especially in the old single league format), but agree the two division system with promotion / relegation format could be the best one to keep as many teams playing for something.

Agree with Paul above about the interest in the County Championship.  The article I mentioned in my post above said that viewing figures had been healthy when it was shown on TV earlier in the summer.  Just feel it has been neglected in recent years, with next to know thought or effort going into it.  Just simple things really, like why not start the last game this week on a Thursday so the last two days would have been over the weekend.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1072 on: September 25, 2021, 10:40:17 AM »
Agree on that, it's madness that they seem to go out of their way to make it difficult to attend.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #1073 on: September 25, 2021, 09:24:09 PM »
My mother would have been so delighted! She died in January 2019 and her ashes are scattered at Edgbaston, so in one sense she was there today
You mum sounds a fantastic lady. Bless her soul.

She certainly was! 98 when she died - and independent to the last

Offline KNVillan

• GM : 11,08,2024
« Reply #1074 on: September 28, 2021, 10:05:52 AM »
Bob Willis Trophy today - Warwickshire win toss and bowl first

Offline KNVillan

« Reply #1075 on: September 28, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »
Lancs 8-2 off 3.4 overs… Norwell with the first and Miles with an outstanding c & b for the second

Offline KNVillan

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1077 on: September 28, 2021, 11:04:16 AM »
9 for 4 now! Forecast to rain, in which case 1st innings leaders win the trophy so vital we at least get a 1st innings lead. So far so good.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #1078 on: September 28, 2021, 11:08:43 AM »
And another one, 10-4

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1079 on: September 28, 2021, 11:14:47 AM »
12/5 now!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal